Unlocking Xiaomi Bootloader

That’s not correct. The last comment about successful use of XiaoMiTool was left only a week ago: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81616085&postcount=149

well – the latest release 9.11.10 from nov. 2019 indeed mentions in its changelog:
“Updated unlock tool (fix error 20031)”

unfortunatly it’s a closed source tool and nobody knows, what’s really going on…

Yes, I don’t know about the tool… I got it to run (after sudo chmod +x the .run file I downloaded) but I can’t create a xiaomi account to use it somehow, either on miui.com or through the tool (the tool is only a front end for Xiaomi website, with a few awesome features thrown in!)

Really, though, is the only way to unlock the bootloader with a sim card??!
I so hoping there’s another way… :crossed_fingers:

Perhaps it makes sense to try without SIM first? (I just hope this advice is safe enough)

Ha-- such a nice idea… I just wish it was possible. The phone must be internet- connected, and I don’t think it can use wifi! So I think Sim is the only option…

isn’t it a SMS based Mobile verification process?

“All you have to do is wait for few days you will get approval notification on your mobile through SMS.”

Yeah-- unfortunately.

from my personal point of view it simply an utterly unacceptable unlocking process!

IMHO /e/ shouldn’t even support devices, which require this kind of private data disclosure and subordination to a vendors mercy.

it would make much more sense, if /e/ would support the more recent Xiaomi MI A2 and A3 andrioidOne models, which do not require this kind of stupid unlocking practice. they are already supported in the more recent LOS development versions, but it may take a long time again before they became available in /e/ as well.

Yeah, it’s possible. I’m returning the device to purchase the oneplus 6.

Earlier I suggested using services that provide rental or free phone numbers for SMS verification.

1 Like

yes – and you can simply use a completely anonymous gmail-account for the email entry! :wink:

there are always workarounds available, which are even worse than the original issue.

IMHO the whole Xiaomi unlocking process is simply unacceptable for typical /e/ users and their evident interest in data protection.

This is not the case. Here we only need to create a single-use Mi account, which can be dropped as soon as the unlocking process is complete. And as far as I know, the phone number will only be needed once at the step of account registration. I don’t see any threat to privacy, given that these SMS services are fairly anonymous and often don’t even require to be logged in (just use Tor Browser).

i was able to by pass these 720h and just got my bootloader on pocophone unlocked with this tool: https://www.xiaomitool.com/V2/download with enabled adb and a mi dummy acoount it is possible to unlock the bootloader in less than an hour…
edit: just seen that it is the same as @mash suggested…

2 Likes

Yesterday I successfully unlocked my new Xiaomi’s bootloader and made the following conclusions:

• You can’t perform the procedure without the SIM-card inserted in the phone. (So using the aforementioned rental number for SMS verification is just useless.)
  • You’ll most likely have to upgrade to the latest MIUI before start. (Keep in mind the Anti-Rollback Protection!)
  • To increase the privacy of the process, you can disable from the network and maximally restrict permissions of all build-in applications and system processes except those involved in the unlocking. (It might be worth to install NetGuard or Blokada apps for best result, but I don’t)
  • You can very easily use the official Mi Unlock app under a virtual machine (VirtualBox with USB Passthrough enabled).
3 Likes

I can confirm all your conclusions, same here :frowning:
I had to get my hand on a very cheap prepaid SIM just for unlocking & testing.

Apart from that, Xiaomi unlocker seems to skip the infamous delay when unlocking an already unlocked phone (when it has been relocked while installing stock ROM, in example).

Lucky if them available in your location. Such a things are threatened species now days.

If your device isn’t latest model, you most likely won’t face the timer at all. In my case, the unlock also happened immediately without delay.