[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Nokia 6.1 (PL2)

Here’s an unofficial build for this device. Built from the v0.23.9-r tag.

This is completely untested so please backup your existing setup before flashing

Release notes are here:

Device details here

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/PL2/

Installation instructions here

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/PL2/install

Before you can install it, you will need to unlock the bootloader. There are no officially supported ways of doing this, but there is information on the net. Follow those guides at your own risk - I have not tested them

TWRP Recovery available here

I am not in a position to support this ROM as I don’t own one of these devices. If you do flash it, please give some feedback here, If enough people find it works, /e/ may be persuaded to make it an official device

2 Likes

Hi out there,
been using /e/ for quite a while on my Nokia 6.1 PL2 as a backup phone for some 6 months now. Nokia NB1 was my main phone. Since that died (screen went) the PL2 has been my daily driver. Been working like a charm. Before I tried /e/ on my wife’s old Samsung S6, massive echo problem was a dealbreaker. None of that with the PL2. I use gcam camera port by back.rider v 6.2.024:N7P_test1. Photos and videos work very well, even video stabilization works as it should. Phone is rooted, I used the free rooting option by techmesto.
A question: I have used OTA updates for the PL2 before, no problems. Now I activated : “Connect with the /e/OS testing channel” in the developer options, and I’m being offered to install /e/OS 1.2-beta.2. My problem: Before I install, I would like to find some info about this ROM to access the risk, but I just cannot find any info about it anywhere.
Sorry if I placed this message in the wrong thread; couldn’t find the test channel. Any help is much appreciated. /jupp68/

The “testing channel” is used to make builds available OTA for testing by the testing team (which includes both /e/ staff, and community volunteers). The builds made available there are not intended for use in your daily driver: they will include new features and bug fixes which have not yet been fully tested and which may therefore still have bugs, possibly serious ones.

Some people do use the test builds and, for much of the time, there are no problems. But occasionally there will be serious problems, and it may be necessary to revert to an earlier build or, in worst cases, do a fresh install of a previous build with (rarely, but occasionally) possible loss of previous data.

Unless you really want to be running the very latest version of /e/OS, and are prepared to risk the possibility of serious bugs, then I would recommend that you don’t use the test channel.

Hello Petefoth,
thanks your your explanation. I have deactivated the test channel again, since the PL2 is my main phone now. I’ll stick with /e/OS 1.1 from 29.June 2022 then & wait patiently for v 1.2 until it’s ready. /e/OS is much better than stock. With stock the phone was laggy, bad battery life, constantly some background activity, etc. With /e/ I get over 2days battery life. I use some apps from f-droid (simple calender, OsmAnd, KDE Connect for data exchange, K9mail), and a gcam port (see above). It’s all the smartphone I need. Thanks to you & the other devs for a great rom.
“If enough people find it works, /e/ may be persuaded to make it an official device”.
I’d really appreciate that!

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

new r1.2 build works very well indeed on my PL2. Installed OTA no problems.
I had a lot of trouble with /e/ on an Samsung Galaxy S6 with in call
echo, same on a Nokia 8 NB1, with /e/, with Cherish, etc… But this
device & /e/OS = ideal combo.

Thanks a lot & if you tell me how to, I’d like to donate.

Best regards,

• Josef

If you would like to donate, I suggest donating to either Lineage OS at LineageOS is creating a free and open source operating system based on Android | Patreon or to microG at microG's profile - Liberapay Without the work of those two organisations and the people who contribute to them, there would be no /e/OS

:top: Android R (beta)

e-1.2-r-20220728206630-dev-PL2.zip [MD5 | SHA256] / recovery-e-1.2-r-20220728206630-dev-PL2.img
e-1.1-r-20220629200015-dev-PL2.zip [MD5 | SHA256] / recovery-e-1.1-r-20220629200015-dev-PL2.img
e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-PL2.zip [MD5 | SHA256] / recovery-e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-PL2.img
e-0.23-r-20220405175826-dev-PL2.zip [MD5 | SHA256] / recovery-e-0.23-r-20220405175826-dev-PL2.img
e-0.23-r-20220324172928-dev-PL2.zip [MD5 | SHA256] / recovery-e-0.23-r-20220324172928-dev-PL2.img

I would immediately buy a Nokia 6.1 (2018) PL2, install [e-1.2-r-20220728206630-dev-PL2 Android R (beta) and make a donation to /e/ or LOS or MircoG if a reputable person would offer me an unofficial bootloader unlock.

Background:

Unlocking the bootloader
Warning
IMPORTANT: An official method of unlocking the bootloader is not available, but there may be some unofficial methods available. Unofficial methods are not recommended or supported by LineageOS, so use them at your own risk! An unlocked bootloader is required to install LineageOS.

Or is an official Nokia bootloader ‘unlock’ possible in the meantime, because there is no passage in the /e/ documentation like in the LineageOS Wiki?