[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi (2016) (gts210vewifi)

For your information, this device has a test build and will be updated.

Wow, nice. Can the test build simply be installed without whipping the storage?

Thank you very much.

Normally both builds use the same sources (on LineageOS github) so yes you can try, but if you face any issue, wipe data to see if it comes from the dirty flash or from the test build. Backup in case it’s needed.

Ok I test this evening.

@argon3030 - Thank you! Like you I personally use OpenLauncher on this tablet.

Bliss Launcher of the builds of
/e/ OS: e-0.9-p-2020072364212-test-gts210vewifi
and
argon3030: e-0.9-p-20200725-UNOFFICIAL-gts210vewifi

OpenLauncher default setting

OpenLauncher Icon Size 75

The build of dev /e/OS works well. I especially like to use the build of @argon3030 because he uses it on his Galaxy Tab S2 himself.

2 Likes

Hi @argon3030, I see your new /e/ OS build e-0.9-p-20200910-UNOFFICIAL-gts210vewifi.

argon3030_e-0.9-p-20200910_gts210vewifi2argon3030_e-0.9-p-20200910_gts210vewifi1

Is there a special reason why you are using the branch e-0.9-p- with Android security patch level July, 5 2020 and not the branches e-0.10-p or e-o.11-p- with Android security patch level August or better September 2020?

1 Like

Thanks to @argon3030 and @SuzieQ. This tablet is looking good for me with OpenLauncher.

By the way to anyone following the installation instructions. They do not work for me with TWRP 3.4 (the sideload fails, complaining about not being able to make a directory). TWRP 3.3 works fine, though.

Can you show me the link to the sept. or oct. update?

Yes, the reason there hasn’t been a new build from me in a few months, is that the build fails if I set the version higher than 0.9. Not sure why it won’t build anything newer than 0.9 with the July 2020 security patches. I’ll try it again this weekend…

2 Likes

Good news Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi people! Whatever was causing the builds to fail has apparently been fixed. I gave it another try today, and was able to build the latest e-0.14 for gts210vewifi with no problems. I have the image running on my tablet right now, it all looks good.

Download link

For whatever reason, the project’s official test build for this device has not been updated since e-0.10 in August 2020.

1 Like

Without knowing, I suspect the reason is a lack of staff. Over a hundred devices are maintained by I don’t know how few developers. And monsieur @rhunault can’t duplicate either.

The Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi (2016) ‘gts210vewifi’ is maintained and nurtured by the official LineageOS team via LOS 17.0. But an external oneman show is developing and maintaining even based on LOS 16.0 and simultaneously LOS 17.1 - even with 'D’aily OTA updates. So there is plenty of activity.

Whether the announcement of official /e/ OS ‘Q’ support from 9th week 2021 will become a reality, I guess we will have to wait with patience and besonnerheit.

Until then, I will switch from LineageOS back to argon3030’s unofficial /e/ OS ‘9-Pie’ ‘Q¹’, because degoogled /e/ OS ‘9-Pie’’ is my personal favourite. Thanks for building and sharing, @argon3030

¹Update
9-Pie’ instead of ‘Q’ [kuː],
Thank you for the correction, @argon3030. It doesn’t have to be AOSP Android 10. A well-maintained AOSP Android 9 pie is also a fantastic degoogled /e/ OS ‘P’ edition.

I had not seen that ‘Q’ upgrade schedule before, thanks for linking to that @SuzieQ . To be clear, the 0.14 build I just posted is still Pie, it is not Q. I’ll attempt a 0.14 ‘Q’ build, and if successful, I’ll post it.

Edit: The ‘Q’ build failed pretty quickly, so no ‘Q’ build yet.

Fresh March 2021 build is available for download.

2 Likes

Thank youu very mich, @argon3030. You’re superb :clap:

Thanks for the update to e-0.16-p-20210318-UNOFFICIAL-gts210vewifi, @argon3030.

Installed right now. I’m writing from a SM-T813 tablet
Shall I report here what I’m finding not working ?

Just installed it, stuck on /e/ logo then keep rebooting to recovery, don’t know why… any suggestions please? I did not format just tried to flash it on top of the official build.

New June 2021 build available for download. /e/ 0.18.

Note: After upgrading to this build, the web browser wasn’t working for me. I had to go into the browser settings and select a Secure DNS server from the drop-down list, and then everything worked.

@nottolino I’m simply building the sources as they are. If you believe you’ve found some bugs, I’d recommend reporting them to the dev team via Gitlab.

@zjabri I don’t believe flashing an unofficial build over top of an official build will work. Try formatting first, and then installing.

August 2021 build is now available for download.

2 Likes