Edit Sun 24 Apr 22: Added the AndroidFileHost link
Here’s an unofficial build for this device. Built from the
v0.23.9-r tag, using upstream repos for device and kernel trees, and vendor blobs. Big thanks to the upstream developers Alexander Grund (Flamefire) and Havoc-OS Devices
I have done quite a bit of testing - see below - but please backup your existing setup before flashing
Release notes are here:
- I couldn’t try dirty flash over
e-0.19-r-20211230-UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zipas I don’t have a working backup. Dirty flash over
e/OS/ qdidn’t work when I tried on the earlier
rbuild, and no reason to think it would work now.
- Basic functionality tested and seems to work:
- First time setup: if you have a SIM inserted, phone will need to be rebooted at some point to optimise for your network. It won’t detect your SIM properly until it does. Reboot isn’t automatic, so do it manually, before first time setup completes, and go through first time setup again.
- Pattern and Fingerprint screen lock seem OK
- Calls, email, calendar, contacts likewise. I’ve not tested SMS ('cos I have no credit on the SIM on the test phone) or MMS (because it’s the devil’s work - send photos by email )
- Notes does sync, but I have a lot of notes in my /e/ account and it took a while. No errors reported though
- /e/'s Camera works fine for photos and videos. Videos play back in Gallery and in Browser
- The Sony stock camera is not present in this build. Some very clever people have tried and failed to make it work in Android R / 11. If the Sony stock camera is important to you, then stick with
qbuilds and don’t upgrade
- Bliss does what Bliss does Even the weather widget seems to work in this build.
- Apps likewise. It’s still Apps in this build not App Lounge - that treat is yet to come!
- MicroG ships without the Exposure Notification Framework, but it can be installed from Settings | System | Advanced | MicroG which will call Apps with the appropriate page displayed.
- OTA updates are not included: you’ll have to flash any updates manually.
I have no plans to use this build myself: I’m happy with my custom
q builds. I do plan to make builds when new /e/ versions are released, and I will post them here when they’re ready.
As the Sony Camera and the Xperia Parts settings view are no longer present, it may be possible for this build to become official (and therefore get OTA updates) as it doesn’t have any proprietary code (apart from the megabytes of vendor blobs which make the phone work) to confuse the user. I will start that conversation with /e/, but I make no promises. Lots of enthusiastic comments here about how good this build is will help the case though, so it’s over to you Have fun!