[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) e-1.3-q Post #212

Thanks for looking,

By default, the Updater app deletes the update after installing it. You can change that from the Preferences menu. I always set it to not delete, and export the update after it’s downloaded, but before I install it.

2 Likes

Yes I changed it as soon as I saw your message.
So I could do it next time :wink:

I have re-uploaded the v1.1-q build: at the moment downloads seem to be working - the new link is
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=15664248565197187885

1 Like

I just noticed that I have a call audio problem, and I don’t know how long it has been going on.

I can’t hear call audio unless I activate the loudspeaker.

• VoLTE is working.
  • Volume setting for calls is high.
  • Phone at other end can hear me.
  • Disabling tracker-blocker app has no effect on the issue.
  • Audio works normally when using SIM card in different phone (which is running LineageOS).

I’m currently on the 1.1 OTA, but as I don’t make or receive phone calls on this device very often, I’m not sure when it started to happen. Probably since at least the start of July, as I recall one unusual incident about 2 weeks ago.

@Manoj, are you aware of any similar reports?

EDIT:

• Microphone works normally for other functions.
  • Audio through earpiecce works normally for music or recorded files.

@petefoth, do you think it might fix my audio issue if I re-installed, using your Android File Host package? I know it’s the same as the OTA that I used, but maybe it could correct the problem…?
Thanks.

You could try it.

Another thing to try would be TWRP backup data partition, format data, reinstall, reboot, first time setup (setting the same screen lock), TWRP restore data partition

Thanks, @petefoth. Unfortunately that didn’t correct it. This is really bizarre.

This phone recently developed another issue, too: a small black blurry spot in the center of photos and when previewing before snapping the image. No amount of lens wiping removes the flecks I see on the surface of the lens, or the spot in images, so either it’s something internal, or the coating of the exterior lens/glass is deteriorating.

Maybe I should consider getting a new phone at this point, but that would be a real shame. (I got this one brand new in late 2020.)

Anyway, thanks for the help!

The v1.2-q dev build from /e/ is now available at AndroidFIleHost (if you didn’t already get it OTA)

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=15664248565197202914

Release notes are here

Enjoy!

1 Like

I did it a few days ago. Everything seems to work.
Thanks

Quick update: I think I may have fixed this issue.

I removed the SIM and tray, rebooted, activated wifi, and made an XMPP call to my home phone. I toggled speaker on and off (not sure if it was necessary), and audio is now reaching both phones in both directions.

Powered down, put the SIM and tray back in, and call audio continues to work normally.

I always insert SIM cards very carefully, making sure they don’t shift, so I’m not sure what the problem might have been. Maybe it just needed a SIM re-seat.
:man_shrugging:

Maybe useful info for support, @Manoj.

Weird! Thanks all the same. Will share with the info with the team.

1 Like

The v1.3-q dev build from /e/ is now available at AndroidFIleHost (if you didn’t already get it OTA)

Release notes are here

Hi, @petefoth
As there were many updates, you may remove reference to /e/ version number in the title of your threads.

When the XZ1 will appear in the official list ?
https://doc.e.foundation/devices

Hi @piero

I can’t see any way of editing that. If you can see an edit button, please feel free to change the title, but I can’t find any way to do it.

Short answer: I have no idea.

Longer answer, with historical background :slight_smile:

It was an official device for a while, and I was the maintainer. /e/ asked me to remove the stock Sony Camera app from the build, but I chose not to do that, because it is significantly better than /e/'s Camera app. Their reason for removing the stock camera app was that they wanted /e/ users to have exactly the same UI on whatever device they were using*.

So, without a maintainer, the device became “unofficial”. /e/ didn’t stop making builds for this device , but they did stop publishing them on the web site - https://images.ecloud.global/dev/lilac/ exists, but is “forbidden” - they removed it from their device list, and they removed the device information page. They still make the builds available OTA, presumably for users who started using /e/ when the device was official.

Unfortunately, with no maintainer merging changes from the developer of the unofficial LineageOS 17.1 ROM, the “semi-official” /e/OS build has fallen behind the LOS build in terms of kernel changes and device-specific functionality. It still has the latest /e/OS and core LineageOS changes, but no recent device or kernel changes.

I was able to make one unofficial Android 11/ R build, but it is a tricky process, because the upstream developer doesn’t publish all the vendor blobs, so they have to be recreated every time. I stopped making /e/OS builds after v1.0 for a whole lot of reasons.

The good news, and the point of all this waffling, is that there is now a very good upstream unofficial lineage-19.1 (Android 12 / S) ROM for this device. It is very easy to build and, once I have finished making and testing my unofficial and custom lineage-for-microg builds, and once it is possible to build /e/OS v1-s, I plan to make an unofficial /e/OS build. If that works, I will do what is needed in the /e/ gitlab repos to allow /e/ to make up-to-date Android 12 / S builds. However, I won’t be volunteering to maintain any /e/OS ROM, so whether or not it becomes official, and whether or not regular Android 12 / S builds continue to appear will be a matter for /e/ and/or for a volunteer community maintainer.

So in answer to your

a possible answer is “Some time after /e/OS for Android 12 / S becomes available”. (According to the Latest weekly update the ETA for /e/OS S is ‘September end’. So my guess would be mid-October to mid-November :wink: )

(* In that case, they might also have objected to the Xperia Parts Extra Settings page, as it only appears on Sony devices, possibly only this device, so the UI would be different from other phones. But they didn’t mention that, so maybe it’s only the camera they didn’t like. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

The The v1.4-q dev build from /e/ is now available (if you didn’t already get it OTA). AndroidFIleHost upload seems to be broken at the moment, so I have uploaded it to my /e/ Drive account

https://murena.io/s/Eo6YJ26gCbAk3fN

EDIT: The file is now available on AndroidFileHost - see next post

Release notes are here

1 Like

AndroidFileHost upload is working again, so the build can now be downloaded from there
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=14871746926876830627

I have removed it from my /e/ Drive

Hi

I am trying to find out how many people use /e/OS on this device. Please see this post

Hi there,

The v1.5 arrived and I installed it on my phone, since the update I was unable to send MMS, I called my provider, we’ve tried several things and nothing worked.
I finally install Silence SMS/MMS and it’s working again. So I guess there is a problem on my phone with the native message app.
Has anyone had this problem ?

FYI, I experienced the same no-audio-during-call issue again, and fixed it in the same way by making an XMPP call.

I wonder if this has anything to do with an ongoing issue I mentioned earlier in this thread, in which I have to temporarily switch to 2G after loss of 4G (e.g. lost inside a large building, or shutting down while 4G is active), in order to get 4G (or any connection at all) back. Maybe the switching back and forth sometimes fails to restore the audio in the earpiece and/or microphone…?

1 Like

Please note: details of more recent builds for this device are posted in this thread

I am closing this thread (wheh I work out how to do it :slight_smile: )