[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Unofficial Pi/e/ Community Build for Samsung Galaxy S5 mini - kminilte (G800F/G800M/G800Y)

The way the process works at present is once an unofficial build is tried out by a few users and found to work ok - you are able to send receive calls, send or receive text message use the default app and also if there are a reasonable number of users requesting for that device we add it to the official list. This means that first a test build is made which goes to our test team. They will run the build against the test plan and in case everything works out well the official build ROM is shared with all users. Interestingly most of the unofficial build creators are on our test team as well.
It is not possible to test every single unofficial build that is put out. That is why there is a message on these build ’ test at your own risk’.

1 Like

@georgie_abitbol it is nothing official yet but still works on s5mini, as i ve seen you have been looking for its support :slight_smile:

Oh, thanks a lot ! I’m not looking for a s5 mini, just gave an opinion about “little” good smartphone for /e/… :wink:

I’m ok with my S7, even if it’s a little bit too big for me.

1 Like

there is a fresh 0.9 /e/ update for S5 mini that can be found in link of my first post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just installed it - so nice! Thanks a lot!

Hey, I tried installing your 0.9 ROM using this guide but am unfortunately stuck at the end (as posted in the other thread). Maybe you have an idea?

Solved: TWRP 3.4.0 does not work for me but 3.3.1-0 does.

Hi Chimp!
First of all thanks a lot for your work!

Then I have two questions for you. The first one is about the camera, I cannot seem to be able to record videos, I don’t know if I’m the only one with this issue. Video recording starts but then if I try to end the recording the app freezes and the video doesn’t get saved. Using “SimpleCamera” from F-Droid works.

Second one I wanted to ask you if you plan to make a build when the new version wih the microg version .12 (which has the Exposure Notification support) will come out. Or if you know how I could upload the microg version manually. I’ve tried flashing and manually changing the .apk from recovery but it didn’t work.

Curious when some want to remove microG from the builds.

You mean you tried to paste the GmsCore.apk in the /system/priv-app/GmsCore Folder and it don’t works.

Yes, I had read somewhere here that you could manually update microg by downloading the new GmsCore.apk and pasting it in the /system/priv-app/GmsCore Folder, replacing the old one. I thought it wouldn’t be so easy but I read it in another thread so I decided to give it a try. As I thought it didn’t work. I also tried flashing the Nanodroid .zip, which I succesfully used on other phones that don’t have a /e/ build, but it didn’t work either.

So in the end I deleted everything new and put back the original .apk in place and it worked again.

@Chimpthepimp, thanks a lot for your build for S5 mini ! Great job :+1:
It’s clearly amazing to see /e/ fluently running on this device.

Hi! I’ve tested it recently and it seems that the camera /e/ app is not working for video recording (crash when stopping the record).

This is a known bug from the Lineage 16 build and Simple Camera do work as a workaround:

I just downloaded the "9 " version with twrp 3.3.1 (3.4 did not work) and it is indeed amazing how nice this build runs on my old device. I did this just for testing but seeing how nicely all things work makes me smile and want to use this device again. But there seem to be some bits an parts here and there missing. Does this build get frequent updates ? Is it behind or similar with the major build/bugfixes ?

Anyway great work guys !!!

1 Like

Hi @Chimpthepimp thanks a lot for your work, I installed it on my device and after a few weeks of testing everything works properly and surprisingly smooth except the camera app for videos, as already mentioned by @mickours.
For me the workaround with Simple Camera works as well.

1 Like

Hi,
Do you know where to find the “battery health” to know the number of battery cycle already done ? I a m locking for that because I want to know if I need to change it?
Thank you

Hello, i just installed your build and it looks like that it works.

However, I have already found 2 errors.

The fingerprint sensor and the encryption do not work (complete crash)!
I think the microG is not one hundred percent compatible with Google’s play services.

Or can I also install the Google Play services?
Will the encryption work again?

I need encryption because I want to pay offline with the phone (google pay).

I can’t do anything with the phone without encryption, so it’s like I’ve made a brick out of it. :slight_smile:

But actually, the whole e-foundation operating system and lineageOS too no longer makes sense, because if you lose the phone or it is stolen then the thief has all your data, because he can easily bypass the screen lock with adb or TWRP!

How reassuring that Google does not have the data then.
The only difference is that Google will definitely not try to steal your money or your credit card. :slight_smile:

This is not an ‘error’ :slight_smile:

If you need access to these Google services, then /e/ OS is not for you: it is intended for people who want to get away from Google. The same thing applies for LineageOS for MicroG, or any other ROM that uses MicroG.

MicroG is only intended to emulate enough Google APIs to allow apps to function that won’t work at all without access to those APIs. It is not intended as a functional replacement - to do everything that Google does without giving your data to Google which provides those services (in return for your data and your privacy).

If you need access to Google services, I suggest you install a Lineage OS ROM for your device and install an appropriate version of Gapps, such as OpenGapps, which should be

one hundred percent compatible with Google’s play services.

Support of Lineage OS ROMs is available in the XDA Forums

I hope you find what you are looking for, but /e/ OS isn’t it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the hint, but I already had lineageOS installed before I installed / e /.

Look at lineageOS and what works and what doesn´t:

[G800F/M/Y][ROM][7.1][NJH47F] LineageOS 14.1 for G800F/M/Y [Beta 19/08/2017]

Working features:
Fingerprint scanner!!!

Non-working features:
none

Known issues:
Camera crashes when switching from camera to video. Use Google camera or Open camera to solve camera issues.
See the Bug Report section of this thread.

[G800F/M/Y][ROM][8.1.0][OPM2] LineageOS 15.1 for G800F/M/Y [Alpha]

Untested features:
SD-Card as internal storage (not working)

Known issues:
USB-OTG (Mass-Storage): detected but the file-system is not usable and will be corrupted afterwards (–> do not connect your USB-stick at the moment)
SELinux not enforcing
Video recording is still buggy/not working (crashes)
Fingerprint scanner can only records 3 fingers and sometimes it could be unresponsive

[ROM][9.0][UNOFFICIAL] [G800F/M/Y] LineageOS 16.0 [Beta] [23-06-2021]

Not Working:

HWC (Hardware Composer)
Encryption - Trying to encrypt your device will stop suddenly after a few seconds and possibly cause a bootloop.
SELinux
Video recording doesn’t work in all apps or with all camera applications

It is also amazing that things that worked in 2017 will no longer work in 2021, that was the reason why I installed / e / and not because I wanted to “get rid of” Google.

Aren´t you compiling the builds from the same sources?

Couldn´t that have been the reason why the company that previously produced cyragen mod has gone out of business?

The Samsung Galaxy S5 mini came onto the market in 2014, i.e. 14 years ago, and the hardware still works flawlessly to this day.

I just don´t want to buy a new device because I don´t want to produce unnecessary electronic waste.

Now you tell me that / e / is not the right OS for me and that your OS has no errors, but that these are features? :slight_smile:

No. /e/ uses some of the same sources, but uses its own changes and additions

I did not - and would never - say that /e/ has no errors. I do apologise, because when you said

I interpreted that - incorrectly - as you saying that MicroG not being 100% compatible with Google’s play service was the second bug. As I said earlier

And as I also said, if you need full access to Google services, then /e/ OS - with all of its bugs and features - is indeed not the OS for you. As the /e/ Foundatiions web site says

/e/ consists of a fully deGoogled mobile operating system (OS) and carefully selected applications, together forming a privacy-enabled internal environment for mobile phones.

If you want / need Google services, don’t expect a fully deGoogled OS to provide them :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I would be interested in a custom /e/ build for the S5 Mini, but the download link above seems to be down/removed. Is there a way to get the file or another?