[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] (Updated) Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) e-1.5.1-s-20221110

Know that the main reason banks and every other business on the planet constantly nag you to install their apps on your device is so they can track your behavior, interactions, and location (courtesy of inbuilt ready-to-spy scripts by Google, Facebook, et al.). It’s not about making your experience more convenient. :wink:

I think that depends on which bank, and which app

Maybe. :wink:
Another reason may be that they want to reduce the possibility of ever having to interact with you personally via customer service.

Sorry - I didn’t see this earlier.

I like that

• I can use the original versions of the apps I use a lot (K-9 Mail, NextCloud Notes, NextCloud sync client, QKSMS, ETAR, DAVx5, MicroG) rather than forked versions which, at best, add nothing useful, only UI and theme changes, which lag behind the originals in terms of bug fixes and new features.
  • I can use mature app store apps, like F-Droid and Aurora Store, rather than /e/'s insufficiently-tested App Lounge (or Apps before that)
  • the Lineage documentation - of how to unlock your device, install a recovery, and use the recovery to install the ROM - appears to me more accurate than /e/'s. Perhaps because it has been around longer, and / or because it has more users to spot and help correct errors.
  • It doesn’t have the Advanced Privacy functionality. The privacy in LineageOS for MicroG is “good enough” for me. Advanced Privacy was also introduced with insufficient testing and, from what I’ve read in the forums and in Telegram, seems to have broken a lot of functions which, in LineageOS seem to work just fine.

The /e/ community seems to be more helpful and accepting than the official LineageOS community though :slight_smile:

And I still strongly support what /e/ (and IodéOS) are trying to do - even if I sometimes disagree with how they go about it :slight_smile: - which is why I hang out here and in Telegram to try and help users if I can, and I way I make unofficial and custom builds of /e/OS (alongside my LineageOS and IodéOS builds).

1 Like

Oh definitely! Apps are much cheaper that human support :slight_smile: Although the banks I use (Nationwide, Smile, Triodos) do all seem to have real live humans you can talk to if the app if the web can’t help :slight_smile:

And here is a custom build, also built from the v1-s branch. The only difference with this build is that it is possible to choose Trebuchet as your default Home app / Launche. This won’t ever be made official :slight_smile:

Built by applying this patch in package/apps/Trebuchet`

From 46ea4cf1806dcd70cdf9dc699fb04d704a1b01b1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:32:19 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Add back HOME category intent.

---
 AndroidManifest.xml                    | 1 +
 quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml | 1 +
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/AndroidManifest.xml b/AndroidManifest.xml
index d6160e18c8..9ee92d71ac 100644
--- a/AndroidManifest.xml
+++ b/AndroidManifest.xml
@@ -61,6 +61,7 @@
             android:enabled="true">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
+                <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.MONKEY"/>
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER_APP" />
diff --git a/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml b/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
index ffca79c788..ae804d2cdc 100644
--- a/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
+++ b/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
@@ -57,6 +57,7 @@
             android:enabled="true">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
+                <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.MONKEY"/>
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER_APP" />
-- 
GitLab

Thanks a lot. Well if /e/ stops working on this device I will change to Lineage OS.
I really love this phone, small and working so well…

:cry: I’m really sad but I completely understand :wink:
Thanks for making /e/ possible on this device !!!

I’m not sure if I should try to install v.1.7 s
I’m currently on v.1.7 q and since I’m not a very techy person, I’m afraid it won’t work and I won’t be able to come back to v1.7q.
May I ask what won’t work if I install v.1.7 s and don’t have the microG En framework ?

Only some Covid contact tracking apps e.g. the UK NHS one. Not a big deal any longer. Everything else should work at least as well as 1.7-q

Wonderful, I’ll try it then. Thanks

Do you think a dirty flash from v1.7 q to v1.7s will work ?

Not sure. Worth backing up just in case. I generally use both

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, adb doesn’t work. I don’t understand why. I’ve done it several times in my life and it always worked.
I’ve got this response

adb: sideload connection failed: insufficient permissions for device: missing udev rules? user is in the plugdev group
See [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] for more information
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: insufficient permissions for device: missing udev rules? user is in the plugdev group
See [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] for more information

or this one

adb: sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found

If you have any ideas. I’ve looked several things but didn’t find the solution

Sounds like a problem with your PC setup. Sorry but I have no idea how to fix that

1 Like

Well I don’t know what did it, but I allowed the “root debug” and then put “sudo adb etc…” and it worked :wink:
Everything seems to work well, I have all my applications. Just need to get used to the new look :slight_smile:

Here’s a new CUSTOM build made from the v1.8.1-s tag. (See here for information about build types)

The reason it is CUSTOM rather than UNOFFICIAL, is that in this build it is possible to use Trebuchet as the default Home / Launcher app. If you clean flash the build, you will be offered a choice between Trebuchet and Bliss at the end of first time setup. This was achieved by changing two lines of code, (shown in the patch in my previous post).

I don’t plan to make an UNOFFICIAL build without the Trebuchet change: if you don’t want to use Trebuchet, then choose Bliss, which should work as well as it always does :wink:

Release notes here

I have clean flashed the build and it seems to work: the test phone boots up fine, receives calls and SMS, internet access via WiFi and mobile network both work, fingerprint scanner works. It should dirty flash OK over previous unofficial and custom S builds, but - as always - use at your own risk.

Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue here…

Can you tell me what you did to resolve this problem?

I get the same error like missing Udev rules…

I don’t really know, but I allowed the root debug and then wrote the same but with sudo first.
The first time I dit it, it didn’t work but then I re-did the same (I also wrote sudo adb devices while in TWRP) and then sudo adb sideload and this time it worked.
Honestly I’m not sure why the last time worked, I’m sorry

Hi there,

I tried to make a backup before updating to 1.8.1-s but I got this stuff written at the top :
“Unable to decrypt FBE device”

And it stopped at 15% and then I have this
“CreateTarFork() process ended with error 255”

Do you know why I get that and how I can do to be able to backup ?

Thanks