[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 (clover) for /e/OS T

Hi there, e-recovery.img is included file e-1.18-t-20231214-UNOFFICIAL-clover.zip by @ronnz98.

You simply have to unzip the *.zip file, for example with 7-Zip, WinZip, etc. under Windows.

Or in Ubuntu/Linux: Open your terminal, use the Linux command unzip. Extract the file to your preferred location. For example:

unzip e-1.18-t-20231214-UNOFFICIAL-clover.zip -d <destination>

1 Like

Ah wow, thanks, I never thought to look there. Are there any advantages to E-recovery over TWRP?

I see the advantage of using e-Recovery in the fact that with e-Recovery a manual update can be made directly on the device using adb sideload - without data loss - i.e. without a PC, for example:

adb sideload *.zip [ from USC-C Stick]

It has interest only IF you have problems with OTA update using TWRP.
In the present case no, as this unofficial build don’t provide OTA updates.

Both can adb sideload from the Computer to the device via USB cable.

Both can work localy on the device without Computer but regarding recovery-e only from internal storage, SDcard or USB stick, when TWRP can explore the entire device tree (old downloaded OTA for exemple).

recovery-e don’t manage .IMG files, only .ZIP
so it can’t update itself or install TWRP, when TWRP can update itself or install recovery-e

recovery-e don’t include file-manager to access to the entire device tree

recovery-e don’t provide MTP file transfert with the file-manager of the computer
so you can’t use it to easily access to internal storage from the PC when Phone screen is broken

recovery-e cannot backup and restore /partitions

… … …

1 Like

This is a basic function of custom coveries.

Please show me how to do a manual update with TWRP Recovery on the smartphone - without data loss + without a host machine (PC). I am not omniscient, so I am happy to learn.

if you already download the zip to the device “internal storage” or “additionnal SDcard”
you can skip the (B) paragraph (that can be done in normal mode or in TWRP mode).

note that in the device tree,

“internal storage” is called “/sdcard” when “physical SDcard” is called “/external_sd” the old OTA are under “/data/lineageos_updates

clic here to see detailled instructions

@piero, thank you for your detailed explanation. Well, how /e/OS is installed via TWRP is generally known to me.

But I wasn’t talking about installing, but about updating without data loss. That is a difference. Hence my question again:

JUST DON’T WIPE OR FORMAT ANYTHING…

Installing or updating simply replace the /system partition content (and sometime other needed partitions only on devices still maintened by the vendor)
But don’t touch the /data partition (only when upgrading, you may need to wipe or format the /data partition if device tree has change)

Okay, that’s news to me. I will try it out.

Update

I am ashamed that I did not know this TWRP update method before. Until this moment, I assumed that TWRP INSTALL eliminates personal data and additionally installed apps. My recent test on a Galaxy A5 2017 (a5y17lte) proved me wrong. @piero, thanks for the tip.

You may also try OrangeFox, as some TWRP fails to decrypt with recent (12+ ?) Android.
It works exactly the same way.

I am a friend of e-Recovery because it does its work completely in the background. For the ‘normal user’ I see this as an advantage, because he does not have to deal with the numerous options of TWRP or OrangeFox Recovery. It is undisputed that TWRP or OrangeFox Recovery offers the advanced user and enthusiast far more possibilities. But more does not always mean better. It always depends on the user’s requirements.

1 Like

Following the instructions,

Huge thanks to @ronnz98 for sharing this! I’m quite excited to have found a build of /e/OS for clover (mine is the 8" WiFI-only model), I’ve been wanting to run /e/OS for a long time and I just happened to find this build in a search. I’m happy to report that it seems to work perfectly, no notable bugs so far. This is a much cleaner solution than installing something based on LineageOS and then trying to install Magisk and Lsposed for signature spoofing and then finally MicroG, which is what I was doing before.

The WiFI-only versions of the Mi Pad 4 appear to have some sort of a quirk that causes excessive power drain with the kernel of most custom ROMs. (The only ROMs that didn’t have the issue were ArrowOS and MoKee, both of which are now defunct. Those had basically 0% battery drain after 8 hours of standby in airplane mode.) This build inherits that problem from LineageOS 20, so it’s not perfect, but the drain is less severe than with something like CarbonROM, and it’s manageable at ~3% drain in 8 hours of standby.

Thanks for you feedback! That is very useful for other users and also for me since I might buy a Xiaomi Mi Pad too. Since this device is actively developed chances are high that its more stable and optimized in the future. Even LineageOS 21 is supported now, when next /e/OS version (U?) is available I will try to port.
Hopefully this device makes it officially supported by eFoundation.

1 Like

Nice, looking forward to it. That would be based on this build here?
https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-13-14-clover-lineageos-20-21-for-xiaomi-mi-pad-4-unofficial.4514507/
In that case just FYI version 21 has a bug when no Gapps are installed where it can’t proceed past the initial setup process. But maybe the /e/OS userspace wouldn’t have that issue.

Another thing I wanted to mention that I appreciate is that you put your builds on Sourceforge, which is much more fast and reliable than the Androidfilehost. com links that other ROMs use.

That would be fantastic!

It still seems to be a very relevant device in the tablet market space. Plenty fast and good battery size, and you could get them unlocked directly from Xiaomi, which is the most important thing for OSS fans like me. I haven’t checked recently if they’re still available new and unlocked and at what price.

Hey @ronnz98,
will there be a /e/OS-T V1.20 from you with the new BlissLauncher optimized for tablets?

When 1.20 will be available I’ll do a new build for clover

1 Like

Update for /e/OS-T 1.20:

e-1.20-t-20240223-UNOFFICIAL-clover.zip
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eosbuildsronnz98/files/XiaomiSmartphones/e-1.20-t-20240223-UNOFFICIAL-clover.zip/download

Source for clover have been updated too.

2 Likes
  • Vendor Name: Xiaomi
  • Device name: Mi Pad 4 plus
  • Device CodeName: clover
  • Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.18-t-20231214-UNOFFICIAL-clover by @ronnz98
  • Version of /Recovery which existed previously: recovery e-1.18-t-20231214 by @ronnz98
  • The device is not rooted
  • Version of e-Apps which existed previously:
    foundation.e.apps Version 2.6.7
    *foundation.e.blisslauncher Version 1.18.0*
    foundation.e.browser Version 119.0.6045.200
    foundation.e.camera Version 1.51.1
    com.android.gallery3d Version 1.1.40030
    com.google.android.gms (microG) Version 0.3.0.233515

• Version of e-Apps after installation of e-1.20-t-20240223-UNOFFICIAL-clover by @ronnz98
    foundation.e.apps Version 2.6.12
    **foundation.e.blisslauncher Version 1.18.0**
    foundation.e.browser Version 119.0.6045.200
    foundation.e.camera Version 1.52
    com.android.gallery3d Version 1.1.40030
    com.google.android.gms (microG) Version 0.3.0.233515-107 (ab0f39d)
    com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.module Version R-initial

I have tried the /e/OS update V1.20 in two ways:

1. via host machine PC via adb sideload
  2. on clover tablet via local update

:smirk: Both times the existing e-Recovery 1.18-T was not updated to the current version 1.20-T.

:unamused: The announced new BlissLauncher version is unfortunately not integrated.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My quick test shows me a perfectly working /e/OS 1-20-T. Many thanks for building @ronnz98

1 Like

Dear @ronnz98 can you schedule a /e/OS-T V2.0 update with BlissLauncher 3.0 for late April / early May 2024 for the “clover”?