[UNOFFICIAL BUILDS] for Samsung Galaxy Tabs S2 /e/OS-R

@ronnz98
I still don’t get why you write Final Update for /e/OS-R in so many posys, sorry?!

For many of these devices the most current sources are only up to Android 11 (/e/OS-R).

1 Like

Feedback for 2.2 on gts210vewifi

I installed using the latest TWRP

When it start , it triggers a factory reset and reboot to recovery

I’ve wiped Data , cache , dalvik etc…

I can not confirm this. For my T813 device the (hopefully not last) update went flawless and everything (beside the fingerprint sensor) works like a charm. Thanx ronnz!

2 Likes

Great it gives me some Hope

Good news , the Wipe Data function in TWRP 3.7 was saying it can create user data

I went to the other menu “format data” and it worked !

I’m a bit confused because for me wipe would also create an empty ext4 partition

1 Like

So we can look at this literally, wipe is “one thing”; Format data is quite specific.

The FAQ item on the subject has changed since the day of “Upgrade Q → R” (maybe we both have a distant memory of this). Whatever, this page recently updated to What should I wipe in TWRP?.

My take is that “Wipe” fits certain jobs, like “experienced testing” while “Format data” is what one would advise “to be safe”

Successful new clean install. Everything works at first impressions.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 (2016) SM-T713 [gts28vewifi]

8.0" QXGA Super AMOLED 2048 x 1536 px (inches: 7.82" x 5.31" x 0.22")
(HxBxT: 198.6 x 134.8 x 5.6 mm)

An 8.0-inch tablet of this quality, just 5.6 mm thin, is no longer built today. So it’s all the lovelier that it runs on /e/OS.

Stock Android 7.0.0 firmware T719XXS2BTJ1
Successful new clean install …
:white_check_mark: incl. 4G LTE telephony services + internet surfing

:x: IMEI lost after flashing e-2.2-r-20240722-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte by @ronnz98
The problem is relatively new with CustomROMs from @ronnz98, and no longer unknown, as shown here and here

After fresh installation, initialization and first start of e-2.2-r-20240722-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte, a window pops up with the warning message:

System UI isn’t resonding
Close app
Wait

The next piece of bad news follows:

SIM card missing
No SIM card was recognized in your tablet

Reason: no IMEI available

The identical bug messages also appear with two other CustomROMs:

lineage-17.1-20240727-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte by wickenberg.nu
and
lineage-17.1-20240727-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte by los.rockhost.se
an 1:1 clone of the wickenberg.nu website

The CustomROMs from AOSP 10 for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with 4G LTE (just like Galaxy Tab S3) have been problematic, i.e. faulty, for years - until today. Until about a year ago, wickenberg.nu always worked on two LineageOS versions at the same time: LOS 16.0 and LOS 17.1. The LOS 16.0 version based on AOSP 9.0 was always the more stable, better functioning version. lineage-16.0-20220721-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte.zip by wickenberg.nu is a good example of this.

Now I’ve installed lineage-16.0-20240801-UNOFFICIAL-gts28velte by gkwok
:white_check_mark: 4G LTE (incoming and outgoing telephone calls, Nano-SIM)
:white_check_mark: 4G LTE Surfing (Internet access with 4G LTE)
:white_check_mark: WLAN (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)

This LOS-ROM can be patched to get signature spoofing support and rooted, then the installation of for example MinMicroG-NoGoolag is possible. Rooting also enables the implementation of a root firewall and AdAway, a root ad and tracking blocker.

Well, with a LineageOS ROM, some installation effort is required to make it more privacy and data protection friendly. However, I would prefer a well-functioning /e/OS.

:x: IMEI lost after flashing e-2.2-r-20240722-UNOFFICIAL-gts210velte.zip by @ronnz98

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (2016) SM-T819 [gts210velte]

Identical problem as with SM-T719 [gts28velte]

Encryption failed on gts210vewifi brought to you by @ronnz98

For me the gts210vewifi rom works great, but I cannot encrypt the tablet.
[Encryption failed on gts210vewifi]
(Encryption failed on gts210vewifi)

The LTE issues are not an issue with my builds, and mostly already known. In the respektive XDA forum links which I usually provide Plesse read if LTE etc is supported at all!

Hi, thanks for this information and for maintaining the OS. It was a great help to reinstall my gts210vewifi.

Thanks to the community.

May i ask if there is a chance for continued support of this samsung tablet? I dream of a version upgrade to android s or even t…

For some of the Tab S2 I have a /e/OS-T version for testing:

That sounds quite promising. Could that work for my SM-T813 model?

Not yet, but you can try the LOS20 version:
https://xdaforums.com/t/unofficial-rom-alpha-lineageos-20-for-sm-t813-aug-11-2024.4600493/

@Deltadroid [LineageOS 14.1][T813] [T713] Delta Nougat
It may only be LineageOS 14.1, but it has been the best-supported custom ROM for an SM-T813 + T713 for five years. It is significantly more data protection friendly than an original LOS and currently runs with security patch level August 2024

No new sm-719 gts28velte t-builds?

No. /e/OS-R reached end of life