Update e-0.9-p-2020072865179 for Samsung S5 (klte) fails with "system ui is not responding"

Hi all,

I’ve been using e Foundation on my Samsung S5 for a few months now and it works great.

However I tried to update to e-0.9-p-2020072865179 and the phone would not boot into the OS.

1. I started with updating via the in OS updater. After update completes it just shows the boot screen (e logo) and then screen goes blank with no functions working afterword (i.e. buttons and LED indicator to nothing)
  2. Tried to reload e-0.9-p-2020072865179 via Recovery mode with documentation ( klte install ) that did not work either. However just before screen goes blank I see a message saying “system ui is not responding” with options to close app or wait.
    a) If I’m not fast enough the screen goes blank and I need to remove battery and start phone again
    b) If I manage to click any of the options phone still just goes blank.
  3. I reinstalled e-0.9-p-2020062560240 and phone is working again.

If you require any more info please let me know. If I need to reinstall e-0.9-p-2020072865179 for testing to help it will be difficult because this is my current main phone.

Thanks for reporting this in. There is a bug open on this here. Pl add your comments.

Don’t know whats going on but tried to register for the past few hours with different Email’s to GitLab to add comment but I’m not getting authentication Email on any address used.
If and when I’m able I will add comments. I do see someone referenced this topic there already.

Same problem with the August update too.

Thanks for the heads up. I was a little bit sceptical about installing it after last time.

As stated here, Romain published a new build. Have you tested both the e-0.9-p-2020082670104-dev-klte and the e-0.10-p-2020080666687-dev-klte ?

Hey all,

Ok so I tried the e-0.9-p-2020082670104 OTA update from my current 0.9-p-2020062560240 installed and it gave the same problem.
After OTA the phone will boot to the /e/ Logo and then after a long time it will say the “Your Data…” thing and then I can not do anything. Removed battery and tried to boot again gave the same issue.

So I just begrudgingly had to redo my phone which is not ideal.

However I went through the documentation again, but I downloaded e-0.10-p-2020080666687-dev-klte.zip to sideload via adb and the phone started up. Currently running /e/ OS 0.10-2020080666687.

I will report any issues I come across, but for now I can only recommend installing 0.10-2020080666687 via sideloading as I could not get to install it via OTA.

Hi Y’all,
I’m new to the e. Foundation only having discovered it 5 days ago as a result of a web search, driven to regain privacy and security by finding an alternate OS to Googles android…

I’m a retired Electronics Development Engineer (linear circuits) with sufficient acquired knowledge to maintain/update my PC’s including OS updates over the past decade. I don’t code or program.

Based on your experience of updating a Samsung S5, I’ve downloaded [e-0.10-p-2020080666687-dev-klte.zip] with the intention of doing likewise with a retired S5.

I’m not familiar with “sideloading”, could you direct me to where I can read up on this and any procedural tips you my have to smooth out the operation

Much appreciated
Peter

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. It can be a little difficult for a new reader to find the “getting started” material on this combined wiki and forum. Just a note on this thread, “updating” is the process of updating an existing /e/ system with its new version.

So let me first point you to:

/e/ Install page Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE International

Know your hardware - Samsung

You will see in the install page that we use sideload in two contexts. We use sideload with TWRP, here is their FAQ TWRP - FAQ - ADB Sideload.

As mentioned there, sideload is a feature of ADB so here is a rather heavy duty authoritative page on ADB

A brief interweb search for adb + sideload produced this. This tutorial is quite thorough, so a little bedtime reading there might be informative - but only for general understanding, always use the /e/ documentation to perform your install!

(I am guessing you may be from the USA, in which case it might be worth searching for “USA” in threads in our wiki, in case you get issues peculiar to USA carriers and their cartel which is well reinforced by Google.)

Edit. I provided that install page from your klte identification. Please be absolutely clear you have correctly identified your device before you proceed.