Update to 0.18 on SM-G870F with lineage-18.1-20201225-UNOFFICIAL-recovery-klteactivexx.img

Looks like i do not have a compatible recovery to update, as it failed to update. (SM-G870F)

https:// dl.twrp me/ klteactivexx < would have installed this if it was found - so I installed this instead:
lineage-18.1-20201225-UNOFFICIAL-recovery-klteactivexx.img

Posting the error message in the next post.

If we cannot find a solution I can live with doing adb sideload - is there a place where I can download the 0.18 update?

Thanks,
.Hibba.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like
I am realizing now that what I wrote here seems to primarily affect Fairphone users, so I retract my recommendation

Right now I would recommend against doing so because there is a calling malfunction in 0.18 on some /e/ user’s phones (not on mine though, 0.18 runs well on mine). Better use the latest 0.17 installation file. A fix for the aforementioned 0.18 issue is already being tested and expected to come soon though.

HELP! Just updated to 0.18 and the Phone App is not working anymore

1 Like

Just realized that the howto I used of course has the updated 18 build. So that is sorted out now.

I also got the recovery image for my device in another post, but that needs to be compiled first.

I’ll update when I have done that (if I succeed) so this can be added to the howto, as it is missing there.

Picture of the failed upgrade is attached.

Thank you,

.Hibba.

@piero - should I record the upgrade process?

What upgrade ? e-0.18-p is still an /e/pie/android.9 based …

https://images.ecloud.global/dev/klteactivexx/

if OTA don’t work, Download the updated e.ZIP to your SDcard
Install it with from the recovery screen

1 Like

Here is the e.updater message.

As I understand you @piero I will need to install it from recovery. In my case adb side load…

My question to you, would/should automatic upgrade work with a supported/correct recovery?

Thank you,

.Hibba.

the updater download the file in a folder located under
/data/lineageos_updates
Usable with the TWRP install feature

@manoj could the maintener or the e.team provide
a suitable recovery for this device ?
hoping TWRP (even unofficial)…

a build.ZIP installable by the supposed unified/common klte/kltexx TWRP ?

Perfect @piero, I’ll see if I can navigate to that location from the recovery I have installed.

Thank you!

.Hibba.

At present we only have e Recovery for devices on Q OS and above. If you can share a working recovery link I can have that added to the documentation

I can’t find any specific TWRP !
Who have build it in the past ?
How was it disappeared ?
It was linked to android file host ! no ?

After some search, it seems that TWRP for klte is an unified one and suposed suitable for klteactivexx

This is what I have found so far, trying to compile it but not luck yet, I’ll ask in github for assistance.

@piero using klte I got this: On ADB Sideload I get E3004:This package is for device: klteactivexx,klte;this device is klteactive. Updater ended with ERROR: 7

I have read about a solution somewhere 2 days ago
Unofficial Pi/e/ Community Build - s4mini Value Edition SM-i9195i "serranovelte" - #14 by piero
So, We have to modify the content of some files in the /e/.zip
to make the build that matching klteactivexx include klteactive codename

1) extract the e-0.18-p-20210815130098-dev-klteactivexx.zip,

2) Open /META-INF/com/android/metadata

we will add klteactive in the last line

pre-device=klteactivexx,klte

will become

pre-device=klteactivexx,klteactive,klte
clic here to compare with /e/ stock metadata for my serranoltexx
ota-property-files=metadata:69:359         
ota-required-cache=0
ota-type=BLOCK
post-build=samsung/serranoltexx/serranolte:4.4.2/KOT49H/I9195XXUCQL2:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=eng.root.20210814.095355
post-sdk-level=30
post-security-patch-level=2021-08-05
post-timestamp=1628934731
pre-device=serranolte,serranoltebmc,serranoltektt,serranoltexx

3) save it in the e-0.18-p-20210815130098-dev-klteactivexx folder,

OR replace the existing metadata by this new metadata,

4) open /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

we will insert a line betwenn the fist one and the seconde one

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "klteactivexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "klteactivexx" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "klte" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "klte" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: klteactivexx,klte; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

will become

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "klteactivexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "klteactivexx" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "klteactive" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "klteactive" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "klte" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "klte" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: klteactivexx,klte; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

clic here to compare with /e/ stock metadata for my serranoltexx
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranolte" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranolte" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranoltebmc" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranoltebmc" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranoltektt" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranoltektt" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranoltexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranoltexx" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: serranolte,serranoltebmc,serranoltektt,serranoltexx; this device is  " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

5) save it in the e-0.18-p-20210815130098-dev-klteactivexx folder,

OR replace the existing updater-script by this new updater-script,

6) make a .ZIP from the e-0.18-p-20210815130098-dev-klteactivexx folder.

7) rename the new .ZIP

OR download the modified Build to test e-0.18-p-20210815-modified-for-klteactive

8) try to install it with TWRP for the klte familly

please share your feedback…

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tutorial-the-updater-script-completely-explained.2377695/

1 Like

Just for the record @piero - I am so grateful for your effort, thank you so much! I would love to try that out, but what I am suspecting is the TWRP that is to blame here, not the e-0.18, what are your thoughts on that? (Ref my last reply)

@piero - what I do not get with this error message is that it says “device is klteactive” when the github link above states that it actually is klteactivexx? So in my mind it should have worked regardless?

I have opened an issue on the /e/ gitlab :

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/3745

1 Like

@piero

FYI when I get the time with the next e.update I will change the recovery on my SM-G870F from lineage-18.1-20201225-UNOFFICIAL-recovery-klteactivexx.img that I got from: https:// androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=321280

To this? https: //twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys5qualcomm.html - please confirm if correct.

Then with this: download the modified Build to test [e-0.18-p-20210815-modified-for-klteactive](https ://ecloud.global/s/gbkwMGyaXo7qtt5)

I’ll do a standard upgrade from within the e and check if it upgrades and reboots normally?

Thank you,

.Hibba.

1 Like

I cannot confirm as it is an hypothetical and non tested workaround…

On the other hand, i just seen that /e/OS Q and R are builded for month ! with their related e-recovery !

How have we missed it ? you @Hibba and me this summer. Spending time and effort for recovery compatibility with Pie

I think they wasn’t online ! in August

https://images.ecloud.global/dev/klteactivexx/

Hey @piero I have been thinking of you, been super busy and have just downloaded 0.19 but not installed it yet due to the fact that I wanted to touch base with you first and go through the installation steps we discussed this summer.

Thank you so much for following up, let’s get the ball rolling again.

.Hibba.