Upgrade from R stable to T dev on OnePlus 7 Pro (guacamole)?

Hello everyone,

This week I installed /e/ on my OP 7 Pro (guacamole) for the first time and I’m really liking it so far. Today, however, I found out that the dev branch on my device is already on Android 13, not on 11 like the stable one, which I installed with the easy installer.

In your opinion and experience, can I upgrade from the latest stable release (R 1.17) to the latest dev one (T 1.17) without any data loss? Would it be as easy as sideloading the zip via adb or is there something else to consider?

The documentation mentions that one should be sure to be on an Android 11 stock ROM when switching to /e/ version R and on 12 when switching to /e/ T, but I do not believe it says anything specific about switching from R stable to T dev (or an older /e/ ROM to a newer one on a different Android base). I also didn’t see any recent posts here discussing anything like this, hence why I’m asking.

Thanks for your help in advance!

PS: Also, have you had any negative/annoying experiences or bugs on the dev build? After taking a glance through the forums, it doesn’t seem like anyone has had any complaints.

1 Like

It’s a real problem here in the forum that quite simple questions like this keep unanswered. I am having the exact same question for my OP7pro and a similar one for my OP9.

I’d guess any developer could easily answer this, but it just doesn’t happen. Honestly said, that is the only frustration I have on /e/, but a huge one. Really huge.

I hope the team can take these kind if requests more serious in the future. I mean, it should be known which dev makes which version.

Well, if it helps you, after a few days of receiving no answer, I did just what I described in the post and upgraded. It was pretty smooth and I haven’t seen any bugs in the dev build thus far, so I’d recommend doing it in general.

Hello guys,

it is a user forum !, developpers are on the gitlab plateform…

I cannot answer to your question as i don’t own any comparable devices, use the forum search bar…
also consult the official documentation (/e/OS and LineageOS)

In general,
To switch from stable to dev you should be forced to format the /data partition.
To switch from R to T, you need to first upgrade your firmware (if a newer exist), as device tree is different, that should format the /data partition.

1 Like

For what it’s worth: I updated very smoothly from Android 11 to 13 on my Oneplus7T pro (mind the T). Both installed manually.

Yep exactly. It seems the correct order would be to wipe /data, however I managed to just sideload the dev zip and have that be that. Very smooth and easy.

Were you on stable 11 and you just sideloaded the Dev 13?

Yes, the switch from /e/OS-R to /e/OS-T works, but there will be plausible reasons for this if Lineage and PixelExperience explicitly point out that OxygenOS Android 12 should be installed before the OS-T change. Both development teams are guarantors for perfectly functioning custom ROMs.

:warning: LOS WARNING

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is currently using Android 12 firmware.
If the vendor provided multiple updates for that version, e.g. security updates, make sure you are on the latest!
If your current installation is newer or older than Android 12, please upgrade or downgrade to the required version before proceeding (guides can be found on the internet!).

:warning: PE WARNING

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is currently using Android 12.1 firmware.
If the vendor provided multiple updates for that version, e.g. security updates, make sure you are on the latest!
If your current installation is newer or older than Android 12.1, please up- or downgrade to the required version before proceeding (guides can be found on the internet!).
Also note that you cannot directly unlock the bootloader if you are on OxygenOS 12.1. For unlocked bootloader on OxygenOS 12.1, you will need to unlock the bootloader on OxygenOS 11 first and then update to OxygenOS 12.1.

:slight_smile: I dont think I’ve ever encountered one of those!

:thinking: If this is the case, as you believe, then I assume that you have been using the wrong ROMs on the wrong devices.

In my case, yes. Just as you described and I had 0 issues to speak of.

Others are pointing out there are other things to consider, though, so be sure to read up on that.