Urgent: COVID-19 tracking app not working - Google Play Services not updated

From what I’ve understand, the tracking will be on the Google Play Services infrastructure. I believe that MicroG could choose to no apply it in theirs.

I read this article here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216484/google-apple-coronavirus-contract-tracing-bluetooth-location-tracking-data-app
It scared the hell out of me.

Securing the communication on Bluetooth? :grimacing: This is nothing but a joke.

Well, if anyone want to use it, fine with me, people should be allowed to choose but count me out!

If, and it’s a big if here, this monstruosity lands on /e/ I will have to rethink my choices, unfortunately.

7 Likes

Thanks Manoj,

I will raise the issue on the microg Github too. I did it on your Gitlab since I know you are pretty active, while I know the microg developer has some problems lately with updating the project. I’ll see what answers I will get from there.

If MicroG decides to implement it and it is only there to track users then most probably /e/ will remove MicroG from the ROM. I am not sure MicroG will implement it.

7 Likes

Let us all hope :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course, I don’t think that either, and if they will it will surely be in a privacy-friendly way.
I really think this all Apple-Google COVID Framework is unbelivable. Governments have no power and/or will to control those companies even for issues such as public health.

2 Likes

I’m curious about those countries which make installing such apps mandatory. Do their governments buy suitable phones for those citizens who don’t have them? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

It won´t work. All these official apps require Google. Tried it with be.bmid.itsme and mobi.inthepocket.bcmc.bancontact. Since that day I don´t use a smartphone anymore. My FP2 is a mini-tablet now. I am waiting for the day /e/ becomes available on tablets, without the phone and SMS function. Tablet without SIM. My primary phone is a classical mobile phone now, without any internet connection. Governments, also democratic governments are the enemies of privacy. They want to have control, and they use the security from Apple and Google, these apps remaina available only on these two operating systems, and for none of the other OS´s. So I don´t have any use for a smartphone anymore. If they ever make an app mandatory, we´ll go to court, sew the government to make that app available for all operating systems, and the government knows that, so there will never be a mandatory app in any democratic country.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: In India recently for train and plane tickets it is mandatory to have this tracking app installed on your phone !! It is to check health of the passenger but it also tracks the movement of the user at all times. There have been a lot of protests but then if you have to travel you need this app.

No trackers in StopCovid…

https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/fr/reports/133088/

I didn’t have plan to install it anyway…

But the app is a tracker itself :wink:

5 Likes

Urgent: COVID-19 tracking app not working

Yeah. It’s a feature of /e/, not a bug.

6 Likes

So if you have no phone then no travel for you?

2 Likes

Not sure how that works. Luckily do not have to travel to find out.

3 Likes

I agree with you. There is there a security issue. Personnaly, I want to protect my family, my friends, the old persons… I think we must be able to use this app… This is not tracking, this is solidarity !

1 Like

Anyway, today I was able to download and install the french’s government app, StopCovid, and it seems to be working. THEORETICALLY it should be able to communicate with the tracing apps of the other countries (at least european ones), but this should be further analyzed, I’m not 100% sure about it yet.

Hello.

All governments have always used all available means to monitor their population. Stop-covid is a step towards the general acceptance of permanent State’s tracking. Viral risk opportunely hides the lack of equipment (masks, tests) and the halt in public investment in basic medical research…

All states (even “democratic” ones) would like to catch up on commercial tracking. So, they are the best allies of the interests of gg and A.

Save others, wear a mask and wash your hands. An app can’t replace basic caution… but can spies you 7/24 !

13 Likes

That governments have a special interest in monitoring their population is surely true.
But science is science and one tool for epidemics control is indeed tracking, we cannot do nothing about this.
But my question is, if the app is completely open source, like the french one, I compile it myself or download it from a portal such as f-droid, how is that not safe? You can excatly know what the app is doing and what happens in our phones. Of course there are limitations, but this is at least the highest transparency you can have from a tracking app. Apart from the fact that it’s using the PEPP-PT open protocol.

An open-source app is not safe … until your review the entire code and understand what it does.

3 Likes

Therefore you need no app !!!

9 Likes

Against UE advice (RGPD), the french app do use a centralised network… and a lot of epidemiologists doubt the effectiveness of such an app, even though almost the entire population installed it.

First of all, mask and clean hands will save people. And what about covid-collected tracking datas when other governements will manage other mass events, in a few months/years ?..

Perhaps see on vimeo.com Nothing to hide > /189016018

2 Likes