Use Nextcloud instead of ecloud

Hi all,

i am monitoring /e/ for a long time and have migrated quite a few phones to use /e/. However there is still 1 major headache for me: It is a NO GO for me, to put all my private data into the Internet and even worse to some cloud provider, no matter who’s that provider.
I searched quite a while and i believe I am by far not the only one.

As ecloud is based on Nextcloud i did hope there is some way to add whatever is needed to my already running Nextcloud instance and connect my /e/ device natively to Nextcloud. Please do not refer to the NC app, i look into /e/ to have a native integration into the phone OS.

Is there any document here at /e/ which describes, how i can use my Nextcloud instance instead of ecloud?

ps: I appreciate the ecloud initiative a lot, so please do not treat my question as a complaint. It is just not my style of living to use cloud services when storing my digital live.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

It is very easy to setup synchronization of your device running /e/ OS and your own Nextcloud instance - just install the F-droid Store (which offers only vetted verified FOSS apps) and then install from it the DAVx5 and NextCloud apps. DAVx5 will allow you to sync calendar events, tasks and contacts to and from your NextCloud instance. The NextCloud app will allow you to enable automatic sharing and/or backups of folders (especially useful for backing up any photos taken on your /e/ device) as well as browsing files on your NextCloud server.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Maximilian,
You can host your own ecloud instance, (With your own domain, not ecloud) so you can keep control of your data. Look at: e / infra / ecloud-selfhosting · GitLab
But what you are looking to do is: what do I need to add to my Nextcloud instance so I can log in using my /e/ phone.

2 Likes

You are right @erothoff And there is absolutely nothing wrong for me with using ecloud. I really love /e/ and the idea behind it. It is just all Info I found so far (= ecloud self hosting) requires to have it exposed to the internet, For me this means every hacker or just script kiddie can test me, if have taken all needed security measures. If I forget something, my privacy and all my data might go to /dev/null faster than I can take backups…
For me this is not the right way towards privacy and I admit, I do not understand, why so many people do not care. :thinking:
I guess you can get my point.
If there is some way to install ecloud into some docker container without Certbot / Let’s encrypt, than I am also very much interested to hear. I found some post and still try to fiddle with an own DNS server at home, but this is again the totally wrong direction: I don’t want to become an ISP on my own, I just want to connect my phone to my data on a NAS or ecloud box or whatever I have at home. And while I am away I can use a VPN tunnel, so just that easy, at least in my opinion :wink:

I use nextcloud, and did so since I first installed /e/os on my fairphone some years ago. The current version of /e/os comes with the nessecary software to connect to the dav services, including calendar, tasks, contacts and more.
In addition, I use the

• nextcloud app which allows to share files, autoupload images and other files in specified folders (I use it for gpx files for example), view and edit some files.
  • Nextcloud bookmarks
  • Nextcloud passwords
  • Nextcloud notes
  • Simple Tasks (which use a simple text format for easy todo-lists)
  • Nextcloud News (RSS feeds and reading)
  • Nextcloud Deck (Kanban style project management)
  • Not yet Nextcloud cookbok, but I may, sharing it with my family
  • Nextcloud Talk

What is missing is a nextcloud plugin for phone settings backup, which could be useful, as well as for SMS messages and call log. Those are likely folders, so it is probably easy to sync them using the nextcloud app though.

I used nexcloud also with standard android, which is as easy. My nextcloud instance is running on a rpi in my storage room, with a dyndns dns service.

For mail, I have a hosted service with IMAP accounts.

Anders

1 Like

Hi anders, It is a good point trying to sync sms and call hsitory, did you find any solution?

SMS Import / Export app handles export of call log and messages. Export to a directory that is synched (e.g. using NextCloud) and they can be synched to other devices

1 Like