Using e.email with other identity

I’d like to use e.email as my primary email. I have my own domain registration which can redirect me@my.domain to me@e.email
However, I can’t send email as me@my.domain via mail.ecloud.global (A known problem, see references below). This is a problem for me as I want to keep my email identity portable between hosters.

I know that I need to provide my e.email id + password to send via mail.ecloud.global - once logged in I should be able to send using any identity. (yes I could spam, but can be punished by having my account deleted). I’d be happy even if I had to do something special to register an allowed identity, and that function was severely rate-limited e.g. 1 per day or week.

Associated observation - it seems that having an email account with another provider is necessary for sign-up to an e account. What if a person doesn’t have another email provider. For instance my ISP no longer provides email services and directs users to gmail.com or outlook.com, exactly what /e/ is trying to get away from…

References:

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1315

From a technical point of view sending my@my.domain E-Mails from mail.ecloud.global is not quite as easy, if you want to stay compatible with spam-detection systems. Have a look at Sender Policy Framework - Wikipedia to get a impression of one such mechanism.

Your idea of “do something special to register an allowed identity” sounds very time consuming and I believe that the e.foundation would need to hire additional staff in order to make this possible.

1 Like

I don’t think it will ever work this way …

As you already own a DNS domain, your better option may be to setup your own mail (or /e/ Cloud ? :wink: ) server, at a hosting provider.

I meant by “something special”, that I would have to fill in a form, respond to confirmation email, or
add SPF and DKIM records pertinent to e.email to my domain’s DNS records, thus proving that I own the domain and want e.email to be able to send on my behalf.
I didn’t mean any personal work by /e/ employees.

Allowing sending email as another identity is time-consuming for /e/ admins.