Very slow Internet Speed on Fairphone 3 with EOS

I am having extreme slow internet speeds on my FP3 with EOS last couple of weeks. Haven’t changed a thing in the phone itself. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look for a solution?
Thank you very much for your help.
Have a good weekend!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Go in “settings ->Advanced Privacy” and check if the fake IP adresse is on.
Turn it off and the internet speed should increase.
Advanced Privacy came with the last update and have very good options for privacy but when you don´t know this option is here, you may wonder why many apps are broken or slow :smiley:

Thank you very much Hyena. This phone is still running on e/os 0.22. I see there are three updates after that. Could this also be the problem? Do you maybe have any other suggestion?

When I look at advanced privacy options I wonder what the point is of working with e/OS when real ip and location is still exposed. At the same time having internet slowed down seems not a very nice option.

Advanced privacy options like this might break pretty basic things you want to use even if you consciously chose to use /e/OS.

For instance hiding your true location will prevent you from using real time navigation, hiding your IP via the Tor network may slow down internet for you considerably, in the case of some web services down to unusable, or you might get downright blocked from using services not liking to get accessed via Tor.

You are given options. Not much wrong with options

1 Like

Yes you are right, options are nice. In my naive, wishfull thinking I hoped to have gained a high privacy rate. With location on they can still use gps from different towers to track you down. I use a downloaded map with my navigation app.

Did not know they are using Tor in this advanced privacy.

You can gain that, if you can live without some things working normally. It’s just a matter of priorities.

Thank you very much, very helpful. In advanced privacy it says “your online privacy is unprotected”
cause it is switched of.
When you scroll down, under manage my Internet Adrress it says
“Real IP address exposed”. But when I click on that the “hide my real IP address” is active.
Seems paradoxal or am I missing something here?

Sounds like a UI question. If Advanced Privacy overall is off, any settings in detail there don’t matter and shouldn’t apply.

That seems consistent with the display of your privacy status. Question is whether the user should be able to access the detailed settings in this case. On one hand it’s kind of nice to know the capabilities without having to turn the whole thing on, on the other hand it might cause some confusion.

It seems to me that in the Settings anywhere else in general, if a feature is turned off overall, you can’t get any further to any detailed settings. But I’m sure I’ve not been everywhere in the current Settings.

Do you mean when the general switch is truned off all the underlying options are also turned off? Yes it is confusion, as we are discovering just now :wink:

Do you maybe have another suggestion what may be slowing down 4G speeds?
Have a good day!

Did you try the new update? … Slow 4G connection on Fairphone 3 after latest update - #5 by AnotherElk - Fairphone 3 - Fairphone Community Forum

Still busy trying to fix the speed. Yes tried the new update. Downloaded nPerf tot test the speed and I have a download rate of 128 mb/s on my wifi. Still using youtube or newpipe is extremely slow.
So maybe it has something to do with the apps themselves?
When anything comes to mind let me know if you will?
Have a good day!

when you say slow, you mean “slow to download / buffer / start” or a “unsatisfying framerate”?

youtubes web player used to have a “take speed test” option (https://www.youtube.com/my_speed) that’s now a link to an aggregate page of your ISP that at least for my provier network had no results.

Some network insight is behind the “show stats for nerds” button in the web player (last option in “Gears” menu in upper right) to show youtubes idea of your bandwidth (“connection speed”) and any network activity… does this give you new insights?

youtube-throughput-in-stats-for-nerds

Thank you for responding tcecyk. The problem is indeed not solved yet. I did not have youtube installed for privacy reasons, or am I mistaken not to do so? But I installed it to check what you meant but could not find it “show stats for nerds”.

What I did discover was that as soon as I installed youtube it found my account and logged in automatically. I think that is rather strange on a degoogled phone. I wonder were it finds the information to do so? Do you know perhaps how that is possible?

Back to the speed problem.

I did do a test with nperf I did not have 4G tested cause the simcard has no data. Nperf shows the wifi speeds are okay but the streaming is very slow.

Any suggestion is very welcome.
Have a good day!

I did not have youtube installed for privacy reasons, or am I mistaken not to do so? But I installed it to check what you meant but could not find it “show stats for nerds”.

the graph I posted you can find via the mobile browser on https://m.youtube.com - upper right gear, scroll to bottom.

nperf is a good (!) baseline test, but it won’t say anything about throughput on other routes besides the speedtest counterparty.

Your screenshot looks like you test via wifi

1. can you reproduce slow youtube buffering via other wifi devices in your network, and if so, also via ethernet?
  2. if the FP3 is exclusive in its slow network behaviour, what constitues slowness besides youtube buffering, some examples?

Hi @tcecyk,
Sorry for my late reply. There were many things happening which had priority in terms of time and energy.
I tried the youtube link you suggested but statiscs for nerds does not repond when I tap on it.
I installed libreTube but 50% of the time the app won’t work which means won’t show the library on the screen. I can scroll on linkedin without any problem.
The youtube on other devices ,laptop and iphone work without any problem.

Any suggestion is very welcome.

ps great fan of Braxman myself

1 Like