Volla: Not /e/ but similar

I wouldn’t trust that article, they don’t understand what Nemo mobile is (it’s been based on Android), and Volla phone will not use Nemo mobile, it will be something you can install later. Volla phone will use Volla OS which is based on Android. For more accurate info it’s best to read the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/volla/volla-phone-designed-with-simplicity-and-security-in-mind

1 Like

This does not make a serious impression. First they start a campaign wanting to have 350.000. It fails miserably. Now Volla starts a second one, wanting to have 10.000 € as goal. I really cannot see the point for this project after the release of the Pinephone and Librem5.

Hi @kalman,

It’s not intended as a competitor to the PinePhone or Librem 5 - apart from being a smartphone, that’s where the similarity ends. The Volla phone is much closer to what /e/ are selling with their refurbished Samsungs - it’s an off-the-shelf Android phone which has a alternative privacy-focussed, deGoogled, Android-based OS installed.

I thin the reason for the change in target is because they’ve worked out an arrangement with their hardware supplier (Gigaset) which means they don’t need a minimum order quantity. Now they can order any minimum number, whereas before I think their agreement must have required a minimum of 1000 or something similar (based on the target value).

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

here some news Volla Phone could ship in October (Crowdfunded smartphone running Linux or Android)

will it run /e/?

No, I don’t think it will run /e/ but it might use some of the work that /e/ have done to de-google LineageOS.
Cheers :slight_smile:

There is an update on the Volla Phone as I detected in a German Linux Portal. Thought some of you might be interested. Here’s a brief summary:

After Volla attempted a first crowdfunding campaign in autumn last year the had to be stopped after a short while, a much less ambitious second campaign succeeded (25k€). The phone is planned to be shipped now in October 2020. As OS, the phone will come with Ubuntu Touch. Hardware partner is Gigaset. the phone itself will be based on the Gigaset GS290, a lower end phone but made in Germany.

If you are interested in the full article (in German though, click here).

3 Likes

Hi @ralxx,

They also sent an update by email. In summary

• Since the phone is basically off-the-shelf from Gigaset they are very confident in the delivery dates for that
  • Software development infrastructure for the three OSes was set up in March and Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish OS have been rebased
  • New “dynamic” features for the Springboard launcher
  • They are supporting further development of Anbox on Ubuntu Touch
  • Some source code released: https://github.com/HelloVolla
  • Volla community days (sounds like a sprint) scheduled for 6-7th June
  • Positive press coverage

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like