Volla: Not /e/ but similar

Hi all,
I saw this interesting project and immediately wondered if they were working with /e/!

However, it appears that they are not:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/volla/volla-phone-freedom-through-simplicity-and-security/comments

It’s a very similar project to /e/ in terms of privacy and degoogling but in other aspects it is different. I particularly like their “springboard” launcher, reminds me of the Nokia Z-Launcher, Nokia Fastlane and the swipe UI from the N9 - all great concepts that unfortunately were probably ahead of their time.

At the moment it looks like the Kickstarter is not doing very well, but maybe if /e/ could announce an official partnership with them, e.g. “Volla OS powered by /e/” it could help their project and also increase the visibility of /e/. After all, with Fairphone apparently not working the /e/ project there are not many viable potential partners for /e/ left.

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

/e/ should just go straight to the phone manufacturer instead (Gigaset). Volla is just using the Gigaset GS290 handset for their kickstarter.

edit: Theyre made in Germany too

2 Likes

Would love to see the two european teams join forces!

1 Like

But /e/ marketing is better. With /e/ we clearly understand that it’s about privacy. And /e/ defines itself as european. It’s better than Volla with ‘quality made in Germany’ which is a boring slogan, we hear it all the time.

4 Likes

It would be helpful if there was a working version of /e/ for the Pinephone, which is already available.
If I look at that campaign, there is only a limited number of backers for this Volla project atm.

2 Likes

/e/ is Android-based, and Volla is Linux-based. Although Android is based on Linux behind the scenes, they are entirely different development platforms, and are generally incompatible with eachother. Volla is more aligned with Purism than /e/, although I would rather support Purism over Volla, since they are building the phone from the ground up, using completely open hardware.

2 Likes

Hi @rsi9x,

Actually Volla’s pages state very clearly that Villa OS is based on AOSP, i.e. Android.

I think you’re getting mixed up with Volla’s efforts to support Ubuntu Touch, Nemo Mobile and Sailfish OS on the phone - those are more typical Linux OSes, although they still use the lowest levels of Android (Linux kernel and Binic drivers + libhybris) on most phones and probably the Volla phone as well.

2 Likes

@madbilly Yes, you’re right. I got thrown off by all the pictures of Ubuntu Touch and assumed it was a re-skinned/re-branded distro of Ubuntu Touch. I see now that their focus is on an AOSP version initially, and that the other Linux-based options are stretch goals. My mistake, thanks for the correction.

3 Likes

Easy mistake to make! Especially when most of the social media noise about this phone is about Ubuntu Touch, not Volla OS!

Sure. Looks like these guys are hunting too many hares : hardware, and several OS to increase their visibility, instead of concentrating on their main object, their Android version, which is pretty close to /e/ in its philosophy.

1 Like

Look at the amount and the time left (less than two weeks). It looks to me that Volla project won’t happen.