Volla: Not /e/ but similar

Hi all,
I saw this interesting project and immediately wondered if they were working with /e/!
https://volla.online/

However, it appears that they are not:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/volla/volla-phone-freedom-through-simplicity-and-security/comments

It’s a very similar project to /e/ in terms of privacy and degoogling but in other aspects it is different. I particularly like their “springboard” launcher, reminds me of the Nokia Z-Launcher, Nokia Fastlane and the swipe UI from the N9 - all great concepts that unfortunately were probably ahead of their time.

At the moment it looks like the Kickstarter is not doing very well, but maybe if /e/ could announce an official partnership with them, e.g. “Volla OS powered by /e/” it could help their project and also increase the visibility of /e/. After all, with Fairphone apparently not working the /e/ project there are not many viable potential partners for /e/ left.

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

/e/ should just go straight to the phone manufacturer instead (Gigaset). Volla is just using the Gigaset GS290 handset for their kickstarter.

edit: Theyre made in Germany too

3 Likes

Would love to see the two european teams join forces!

1 Like

But /e/ marketing is better. With /e/ we clearly understand that it’s about privacy. And /e/ defines itself as european. It’s better than Volla with ‘quality made in Germany’ which is a boring slogan, we hear it all the time.

5 Likes

It would be helpful if there was a working version of /e/ for the Pinephone, which is already available.
If I look at that campaign, there is only a limited number of backers for this Volla project atm.

2 Likes

/e/ is Android-based, and Volla is Linux-based. Although Android is based on Linux behind the scenes, they are entirely different development platforms, and are generally incompatible with eachother. Volla is more aligned with Purism than /e/, although I would rather support Purism over Volla, since they are building the phone from the ground up, using completely open hardware.

3 Likes

Hi @rsi9x,

Actually Volla’s pages state very clearly that Villa OS is based on AOSP, i.e. Android.

I think you’re getting mixed up with Volla’s efforts to support Ubuntu Touch, Nemo Mobile and Sailfish OS on the phone - those are more typical Linux OSes, although they still use the lowest levels of Android (Linux kernel and Binic drivers + libhybris) on most phones and probably the Volla phone as well.

3 Likes

@madbilly Yes, you’re right. I got thrown off by all the pictures of Ubuntu Touch and assumed it was a re-skinned/re-branded distro of Ubuntu Touch. I see now that their focus is on an AOSP version initially, and that the other Linux-based options are stretch goals. My mistake, thanks for the correction.

5 Likes

Easy mistake to make! Especially when most of the social media noise about this phone is about Ubuntu Touch, not Volla OS!

Sure. Looks like these guys are hunting too many hares : hardware, and several OS to increase their visibility, instead of concentrating on their main object, their Android version, which is pretty close to /e/ in its philosophy.

2 Likes

Look at the amount and the time left (less than two weeks). It looks to me that Volla project won’t happen.

Hi @Onesimos, yes the focus seems a bit wide - they should have only talked about the Volla OS. I think the mention of other options was just to get more people interested.
Honestly I like the launcher and UX philosophy a lot, I would happily have that instead of Bliss launcher. Maybe they can develop this further and release it as an app.
@kalman it’s looking even less likely to happen now, there are only a few days left :slightly_frowning_face:
Let’s hope they learn from the experience.

I think it’s a dead project.

I support most of opensource developments but this was one of the worst projects I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

volla
Funding Canceled
»Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on Dec 14 2019«

If you read their updates they’ve said they’ll continue the project even though it didn’t succeed on kickstarter. I hope this means they’ve got more financial backing and will now go away and refine their ideas, maybe partnering with /e/ for the deeper ungoogling stuff whilst maintaining a separate launcher (I like the look of the Volla laucher compared to Bliss).

Yeah it seems Volla project was a branch off from their main company ‘Hallo Welt Systeme UG (haftungsbeschränkt)’

I am considering buying a Volla Phone with Volla OS (ASOP), not that it is better than /e/ but I like the idea of a new phone. In oktober 2020 it will be sold for €359,-… I have some time to make my decision and hope that /e/ will find a manufacturer and can sell a new /e/ phone as well.

1 Like

Well, if to have the cash now I think you can get 20% discount off that price with the Kickstarter.

Some bold claims in various articles about the volla/vollaOS
https://fossbytes.com/linux-based-smartphone-volla-phone-protects-anonymity/