Weblate does not let me start a new translation

Hello all,

for some pages in the /e/ weblate that I want to translate into German (I am aware that translations, from non-reviewers have to be checked for quality by a reviewer first), the link to the translation page is grayed out (I can’t click on it), because apparently nobody has started the translation yet. I can click on a plus icon (presumably to start the translation), but this always tells me that I don’t have permission to view the page. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You may find that there are people on the translation team that do not know the answer to this question! Many pages seem to just sit untouched. I think to some extent there is a controlled release of pages, in order to try to fill certain areas fully.

Maybe consider joining the team Translators @/e/.

Thanks for your reply @aibd id.

I actually sent an email to contact@e.email (anonymous, which I prefer, maybe that’s why), and wrote that I would be happy to help with the translation. However, in reply I was only linked to the relevant HowTos and the Weblate. Perhaps I should have written to helpdesk@e.email instead of contact@e.email. Could you tell me exactly what email address I should write to, @manoj?

Pl send the mail to helpdesk@e.email Not sure if the contact email ID is still being checked. Mention that you want to help with the translations. Also, thanks for volunteering to help :grinning:

Thank for your reply @Manoj! As already written: I got a reply, but only links to tutorials and to the weblate were sent to me in reply.

Let me pass the details on to the team member who leads the Translations team. It is the weekend, expect a delay of a day in the response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Manoj! What details are needed?

I meant I will pass on the information that you were interested in being a part of the translations team. No further details required from your side.

Sorry, I misunderstood.
One more question: In German, unlike English, there are two forms of “you” (I don’t know if there is an English word for it, so I’d rather explain it briefly here); one is the polite form, which you use when you don’t know a person that well yet, the other form is used when you are on familiar terms with someone. In Android (and in /e/), the second form is used most often. My question would be: should the first or the second form be used in the translations? Is there a standard in /e/ for this? I know it might be a stupid question, but I’d better ask…

More or less the same issue in Italian. I can easily see your perplexities

Those are issues to be discussed within the translation team of each language.