Week 04 : 2021 : Development and Testing Updates

Strangely I had to do both: updating the app before and afterwards installing the apk.

But now everything seems to work and no tracing lost. (FP3)

Hi. This may be a silly question, but here we go. Ive upgraded to v14 on pie (ota), Mi8 dipper, where do I find the image to flash q?
FYI v14 working great. All the recent builds have worked really well. Great work and thanks.

You can find the images in the install pages for each device here

Thanks Manoj for the reply. here’s where I knew it was a silly question. The images listed are still pie. So I take it q isnt relaxed to mi8 Dipper as of yet. Apologies for the slow uptake

@Manoj
do we really have to install from scratch again – i.e. also install an interim Q vendor image again and fear the anti rollback protection – in case of the xiaomi MI8 android release change, or would it perhaps also sufficient to utilize the xiaomifirmwareupdater for updating the vendor firmware partition?

OS upgrades require a return to Stock especially for Xiaomi and Samsung devices. I believe the exception are Fairphone and LeEco phones where you do not need to revert to stock and directly flashing the Q build or Pie build take you to the respective /e/ upgrade. To be on the safe side in general flash the stock ROM and then the /e/ Q. The stock will update your device firmware. Will a vendor flash only work…I have not tested this so cannot comment on this.
Also Xiaomi devices do not let you revert to the previous OS…I tried with a Mi Mix2 over the weekend to revert to pie but it did not work so had to go back to Q. There may be workarounds but did not have the time to find them out.

1 Like

thanks for your quick response!

To be on the safe side in general flash the stock ROM and then the /e/ Q. The stock will update your device firmware.

yes – in the past it was really necessary on xiaomi devices – otherwise some hardware components resp. subsystems didn’t work. but it still a very unpleasant and dangerous endeavor to find the right image and hope that everythig works without doing harm.

Will a vendor flash only work…I have not tested this so cannot comment on this.

yes – i perfectly understand, that you can not test all this options for the growing list of supported devices. i just asked this question, because some developer could perhaps have more knowledge about the actual requirements and modifications realized by this vendor updates resp. between android p and q on this kind of devices.

Also Xiaomi devices do not let you revert to the previous OS…I tried with a Mi Mix2 over the weekend to revert to pie but it did not work so had to go back to Q. There may be workarounds but did not have the time to find them out.

AFAIK it’s really hard to overcome this rollback protection mechanism, because it requires access privileges, which are usually only available to the manufacture service.

i think, i’ll better wait a few weeks and watch experiences and bug reports of more adventurous users, before i take this one way road. :wink:

for me it was enough to install qvendor and firmware package from xiaomifirmwareupdater without flashing the whole stock rom… that was on my pocophone f1…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.