Week 06 : 2021 : Development and Testing Updates

Dears,

I contribute (only through donation, no programming).
I appreciate the effort in the community and by the core team.
I value the idea of /e/ from an indepentent os from within Europe.
I am not a tech beginner but no programmer either.

If there is a resource issue, I agree with comments made above that maybe the strategy should be re visited the set priorities. If /e/ os aims to be a third player next to the big two, it would in my view indeed fit to shorten the supported devices list in favour of a top experience and continuous service. Only if this goal can be kept…extend the list further to gain ground by offering more options.
The question on how to start, could be either market oriented by geography - where e could most likely win most customers - or by client behaviour - tech interested or data protection oriented - or best of both:)
Whilst the last option would be ideal ,it will highly depend on the companies/foundations strategy and knowledge.

Thus…I trust the /e/ team will have a master plan and probably it is good to not fully tell about it as also the competition could read along.
I also trust that the /e/ team is really doing all they can and that I value a lot!

As much as I wish for a stable, secure, no data collecting third powerhouse in the smartphone area, it is a huuuuuuuge task.

Hence I hope for the best and wish you all a nice evening

1 Like

If you look at the statistics, /e/'s market share is in the low single digits at best. Google Android and Apple iOS have around 97.5 percent (fluctuating by the smallest differences behind the decimal point) of the worldwide market share for operating systems: Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide - January 2021. There is little to be gained. But the seat won at the table should at least be stabilised in order to retain a loyal user community.

Dear @SuzieQ

Yes indeed. I am aware about the numbers. Alas ,everyone needs a vision,right :slight_smile:
Being the best alternative to the other two, by delivering true data privacy is a vision and an implication of a true alternative on this narrow market. Thus a third option. Maybe not the third “player”. Kind of a big word.
However, by winning a market, it depends on the goal. I guess it is not likely to think e will get 30 % market share over the next year. That however ,does not need to be the goal of a foundation like e.

Therefore, keep the fans happy:)

Yeah, each of us can contribute to good mood. For example, with statements in letters, words and clear language without seeing the issues with tunnel vision or through rose-coloured glasses. I enjoy reading your contributions, @marcih83. Thank you.

Hearing this from you is kind of an honour!!!
Thank you and /e/ of course :slight_smile:

Its not the color of the glasses. Its the taste of the road.
Maybe Im to old to live wishing for a perfect day, or a perfect OS, or a perfect market share (or any other God)… Maybe I just dont care about it. What is part of my everyday reality is that /e/ is working. Now. Not tomorow. In an old fashion trashed device.
Sorry for my words. I will try to color it in the next time.
But what I really want is to understand why the hurry? Its about bugs or easy installer? Are you unable to install and/or use it, or its just a great heart for the poor others moms and dads? Where is the problem?

Sorry again… Keep the hope alive.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.