Week 13, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v0.23

• Fixes and updates
  • Some issues may be marked confidential by their owners and will not be visible to all.
  • Issues get marked confidential as they contain user logs or user device information. At times when we are working on a new feature and not exactly sure if it will work, we mark it confidential during the development phase.

Update 29 Mar v0.23 is rolling out now to dev users on R and Q. Pie builds will also be released
Stable builds should follow on Thursday :crossed_fingers:

Devices which did not receive v0.22/23

• Device that did not receive /e/OS R : lake, river, payton, ocean, evert, chef, channel, beckham, fajita, hotdogb, kebab,klte
  • R Builds are pending on v0.23 for these devices
  • Issues with device still on Oreo or Nougat
    • We are facing build issues with devices still stuck on Oreo and Nougat. The attempt is to check which can be upgraded. If not possible, we will have to stop supporting those specific devices.

Build issues

End of week team was facing some issues on the build servers. This was not resolved as the weekend came up. Team will work on resolving this and then restart the builds

OS OTA Upgrade

s7 /s7 edge

• We are now starting the testing of the OTA OS upgrade for s7 / s7 edge.
  • Volunteers who can help with this testing required

:crossed_fingers: We are using this experience to develop upgrade builds for other devices. First preference would be devices we sell on the eSolutions Shop. No ETAs as of now for this activity.

GSI

• GSI builds for v0.22 has been released.

• GSI sources are available here

Development Activity

A summary of issues dev team is investigating or working on

• Bliss launcher upgrading and existing issue resolution
  • eDrive code refactoring to optimize the application
  • Updating Applications where forked …ongoing task
  • EasyInstaller to adapt to upgrade OS builds…investigation only

This is a subset of what the team is working on. Most of these tasks are under development and testing phase. Some of the issues will be confidential and not visible to all users.

App Lounge

A new version of the default App installer or what is also called the /e/OS App Store is being tested. It will be called App Lounge.
This will have applications from 3 different locations accessible with a real Gmail account or by using an anonymous one

:point_right: It will have a login interface with Google account or anonymous, similar to what we see on repositories like Aurora store.

:point_right: Source code will be opened up for all users.

:point_right: A detailed guide on how privacy score is calculated on the App Lounge will be shared. The customization for the Privacy score calculations requires we still use cleanapk . We will share a document on how the score is calculated.

:point_right: Dependence on Cleanapk to be completely removed eventually

:point_right: We will share more details once we have tested the application and certify it as fit for release.

The purpose of the App Lounge remains to benefit the widest range of users possible. We cannot use FDroid or Aurora store as is. Users also need to understand that not all applications that can be downloaded will work on a de-googled OS like /e/OS. That being said, the efforts to make the user experience better is ongoing.

:bar_chart: On Friday 25 March, we conducted an interesting exercise to stress test the App Lounge with all team members and testers participating. Test included logging in anonymously and installing many Applications. The idea was to test token dispenser. System worked as expected with no issues.

Now we all have a couple of phones that have a ton of apps that need uninstalling :sweat:

:memo: One of the observations during the testing…Bliss launcher should make the uninstallation process easier…

ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

• A new Docker image to be released :crossed_fingers:
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
    • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
    • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c 'git lfs pull'

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes: Due to the large size of the android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks we have switched to using LFS, and now you will need to refer to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs

• We will publish some documentation around this soon.

Device Specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290
We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Teracube 2e
Users, please be aware that as of now the 2e is only compatible with Android 10 or /e/ Q build. This information is also shared on the 2e forum and on the /e/ install guide

• While these issues are getting resolved, we have removed the 2e from the list of devices supported on the EasyInstaller

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:crossed_fingers: Efforts to port new devices continue and details will be shared once we have working builds available.

Roadmap

Read all about the /e/OS plans for 2022 and beyond

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

15 Likes

And propose to keep user-data or not…?

There are no nougat tags created in Releases repo since v0.21-nougat. Please would it be possible to create a v0-22-nougat or v0.23-nougat tag so that we can make some more up-to-date unofficial builds for nougat devices?

Checking on this will update

This is the reason why we do not have tags for Nougat showing up.

I would like to test if the nougat devices I make unofficial builds for still work, which is why I need a tag to build with. What tag should I use? Will v1-nougat work?

Maybe similar question: I want to build a pie version. Are there any conventions as to what tags to choose that are working?
Reason for asking: I just tried to build 0.23.6-pie but afterwards ran into boot problems: device reboots to bootloader on startup.Probably no e/OS problem, but I still wonder if this could be due to try a yet “unbublished” version?

Why is it in " XDA Community Apps" section and not in the “general development” with the other Os like firefox Os or LineageOs?

1 Like

Will we be able to download apps without any connection to Google? (even anonymous one) ? If i download F-droid separately and install from there will it be an issue? I do not want ANY connection to Google.

1 Like

I guess the new App Lounge will not change the fact that you don’t need to use the preinstalled Apps installer in /e/OS if you don’t want to.
Many /e/OS users don’t use the current /e/OS Apps installer either.
Just download and install F-Droid from https://f-droid.org if you want to use F-Droid.

3 Likes

Is there any desire or possibility to partner with app developers to host their apps on your app store directly? Would be nice to be able to purchase and manage apps through /e/account.

That is a long term goal.

1 Like

No. Installing Apps from F-Droid works well, and has done for a long time

Hi. Sometimes there have been issues updating for dual-sim phones, like my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra. I just wanted to double check before I OTA - is q 0.23 working ok? Any dual-sim xperia problems?

Thanks. I can’t afford to lose access to my phone right now. I already skipped 0.22 because it looked like some dual sim xperia users were having problems.

Hi @Manoj is there an issue with r-v0.23 build for fajita (OnePlus 6T)? There is no update for this device:
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/fajita/

Let me check why the R build is missing for fajita.

1 Like

Well, I went ahead and updated. It’s working ok so far. Issues used to be discussed more transparently on these forums when I first started using /e/ - I hope we go back to more of that.

Just upgraded my FP3 to 0.23-p-dev. Works good so far.

1 Like

@Manoj FP2. Updated to 0.23 R. UI color selection still missing. Available only blue.

This issue was reported in another thread. Looks like a regression. Had reported it to the developer. Checking for the bug ID and will share here.