Week 19, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

Pete, we stopped all Oreo and Nougat builds some time back. Also, you can pick up the last v0.23 code to build upon.
The point is not only going to be building for these devices as a one time attempt, it will also be to get a dedicated device maintainer for them to continue building them. We would need volunteers to take up the maintainers’ role for these devices. If there are any volunteers for that role, we can resume the builds for these devices.

1 Like

I did start to make such a list last week – it might not be fully accurate – but I will paste it here hastebin.

Edit the list is nominally devices listed at Nougat and Oreo – I do not include whether builds might have failed.

6 Likes

I do really hope there are some people, with the skills, to bump the Oreo and Nougat devices up to /e/OS v1.0 :pray:

1 Like

We need one maintainer per device. So I’d be veeery happy if someone w/ debugging skillz could be found for…

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) :pray::pray:

@Manoj any news about R build for ginkgo? Just checking. :slight_smile:

ginkgo is there in the list of devices moving to R and coming along with v1.0

1 Like

Great news, thanks! I assume v1.0 will also include ih8sn, so great opportunity to test without magisk at the same time.

@Manoj, all Nougat builds are gone. :scream:

2 Likes

Thanks for raising this. Have asked the team to check and restore them ASAP

1 Like

Hi @Vance, firstly, I am not certain if the list I made is totally representative of all the devices under threat. clarified below. For instance, quoting from https://doc.e.foundation/devices/n7100 we see at the foot of the page

Maintainers ⚈ /e/OS Build Team.

Edit, (see following post) not an indication of ongoing support.

I did a little research on the device:

Without the device a builder might get stuck. With some community participation a device owner might be able to do some work on this subject, https://wiki.lineageos.org/proprietary_blobs, to see if the device tree could possibly be updated for pie. I do not know if this was already attempted, and possibly failed. More research required.

I have an interest in at least exploring the concept of “Community device support” – it is yet to be seen if this would be acceptable to the /e/ dev team!

@Manoj the job of providing fuller information on my earlier list is proving hard for me (I will continue !) Regarding the above quoted Maintainers being the /e/OS Build Team would it be possible to produce a slight fine tune of my list with something a bit like:

• /e/OS Build Team can continue to support.
  • /e/OS Build Team has insufficient support ?

@aibd Unfortunately all the nougat and Oreo devices come in this category.

As mentioned, in the initial post if we get a dedicated maintainer we can start the support for that particular device.

1 Like

Has VoLTE been added yet? I just got a message again that I have until July 1 to switch to VoLTE or I will have to drop /e/ and go another route…

Metro: Urgent! Enable VoLTE on your phone by July 1, 2022 to avoid service issues. Visit our support page for instructions on how to update your VoLTE settings: metro-tmo.com/volte1 .

1 Like

Depends on the device. You didn’t specify.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Another thing that would be nice to have, which not sure if it’s related, Wi-Fi calling?

And I guess the feature request I opened for Samsung SmartView (MiraCast)

Yes please add VoLTE

Mine is Redmi Note 4 Mido.

In the US it seems … I think you might want to contact support in this case.

VoLTE has been around since early 2018 on S9/S9+

The current situation seems unimpressed.

Unfortunately, @arroyo.edgar