Week 27, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v1.1

Some important fixes coming as part of v1.1 include

• Camera fixes for some devices
  • eDrive permission bugs
  • Memory leaks
  • Release Notes can be viewed here
  • Release for some devices are still pending and expected to be released early coming week
    OS released on v1.1
  • Release is only for Android 10 or /e/OS Q and Android 11 or /e/OS R
  • v1.1 includes the May security patch

:nerd_face: We test out the security patches against the /e/OS code and release it only after we are sure that none of the existing applications have issues with the patch. This testing causes a delay in the release of security patches

Update 6 July v1.1 released for all devices on R and Q.
Builds failed for these devices
v1.1-q
bacon, davinci, j5y17lte, marlin, sailfish, surnia
v1.1-r
bacon, lavender, surya
The team will work on resolving the issue with these devices and release a build ASAP. Will update if there is any positive news.

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie

:disappointed: For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

GSI

• GSI builds on v1.1 are available here
    • Sources of last GSI release can be viewed here

OTA OS upgrades planned

• Samsung s7 / s7 edge OTA OS upgrade on v1.0 code
    • Released
    • Note : The older OS builds will not be visible on these devices as the builds would on Nougat or Oreo and can confuse some users.
    • An issue has been reported while upgrading Signal app on the s7 /s7+ Please check this thread for details

Upcoming OS OTA upgrades

• Samsung s8 /s8+
    • ETA Sep end :crossed_fingers:
  • FP3
    • ETA not available

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released.

Difference between /e/OS build types

Devices to receive OS upgrades

A couple of existing devices will get R upgrades. No ETAs as yet.

Vendor Device Name Code Name New/Upgrade OS Comments
Motorola Moto Z Play addison Upgrade R
Motorola Moto Z2 Play albus Upgrade R
OnePlus 7 guacamoleb Upgrade R

Check this post for more details

Recently Documentation updates

New category for Security specific announcements on the forum

A new category has been created specifically for Security Announcements. This category will contain the official explanations from the /e/OS Management or development team for any security related incidents on the ROM or sites. This will be a read-only section.

Testing

• We are looking for users, especially FP4 users who have an eSim and can help us test it. For details, refer this post

Device and Vendor specific Announcements- Click to expand or close

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the Operating system.

/e/OS Links - Click to expand or close ### Support
  • Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

Thank you for the update! Will the new OS for the Fairphone 3 be from Android 9 to 10, or from 10 to 11? Because mine is still on 9 and has many inconveniences :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi Manoj, i installed the v1.1 on my samsung S9 starlte and since then, the GPS isn’t working anymore. I tried to restart the phone but it doesn’t change anything. Any solutions for my problem? Are there other S9 users with the same issues? Thank you

The upgrade of FP3 / 3+ will be to /e/OS R or Android 11
There is no ETA for this transition as yet. We will announce once we have a date set.

1 Like

Hi slim,

the GPS on my S9 seems to work flawlessly after des update on V1.1. I testet it on a cycling tour two days ago.

Oneplus6 ota update failure installation completion reboot will go to fastboot

I am having problems with the / e / AppStore, it keeps crashing when I launch it, I can’t open it. On OnePlus Nord with v1.0-q.

@sceriffo Look there:

2 Likes

Thank you it works :+1:

1 Like

Hello, not sure where else to mention this, but I can’t update my Teracube 2e (2020) to 1.1. Current /e/ version is current version 1.0-20220526188859 on Android 10. Whenever it reboots to recovery to install it throws the following message.

E:Failed to read /cache/recovery/block.map
E:Map of ‘@/cache/recovery/block.map’ failed
E:failed to map file
Installation aborted.

I’m trying Neo Backup for the first time and i’m having the same issue, the app don’t even launch and doesn’t work even clearing the cache and the app data. Do you know something about or have you an alternative that back up even the apps data? Because I have some importante apps that have not their own backup function. (Sorry i’m noob)

Hello

Short message to say, V1.0.1 for FP3 don’t resolve App Lounge crash.

Have a good day
:slight_smile:

There are a few threads on the forum on the difficulties of backing up! I had not heard of Neo so I looked first at the εxodus report, linked.

A list of permissions as I see there may be problematic for /e/.

Yes, thanks.
Just received the 1.1
I download it.

Have a good day.

Neo Backup is the new name of OAndBackupX if I right understood. I found it searching for a open source backup app. Wanna try it but doesn’t work :frowning_face:
@Manoj do you know if it will work in the future?

And like OAndABackupX, it requires your phone to be rooted. See this post for information about your choices for backing up a non-rooted phone

Thanks petefoth, I missed this “little” detail :sweat_smile:
Now I’m considering to root, because I would like to make automatic backups of the apps and their data with Neo Backup and copy this backup automatically to my computer with Syncthing. So if I lose or break my phone at any time I can be sure that I don’t lose anything and that I can restore everything to a new phone. What do you think?
Sorry guys if I’m a little offtopic

If your phone allows rooted debugging (check in Settings | System | Developer options) then the Android Backup and Restore Tools (ABRT - linked in my previous post) should do most of what you want.

If it does not, then rooting may be your best option. Once your phone is rooted, ABRT will work. I have no experience of NeoBackup or OAndABackupX, but if they work for you then I would use them as well as ABRT. YOu can never have too many backups :slight_smile:

1 Like