Week 37 : Development and Testing Updates


  • Released on dev and stable branches
  • Issues detected and closed in v0.18


  • dev Nougat builds - still with development team

Issues in the build on nougat causing the delay.

  • Need to take a call on delay on devices still stuck on Nougat.
    Options we have are
    • Invest time and resource on getting the builds updated…this will be done where possible…some devices do not have support for newer OS versions or have hard disk partition size issues
    • Drop devices from supported list but code remains in the /e/ project. This will allow users who can build ROMs to create unofficial builds
  • Would be great if users with ROM building skills would come up and volunteer as ROM Maintainers for these older devices

To understand difference between /e/ build types read this guide

v0.19 ( under development )

  • Still under development
  • Check the issues marked for fix as part of v0.19

Note this list will see a lot of changes as some issue will be moved to subsequent builds

/e/ R rollout

  • Week 36 devices released …jpeg images do not show up in the documentation as we have not received them as yet.
    - Check out the Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

Update 18 Sep This weeks builds have been delayed due to issues with the build infrastructure. Expect the release early next week.

List can be modified in case builds fail or there are other issues during the build process

/e/ R Installation Tip

  • Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash stock before flashing /e/R .

Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.

Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

OS OTA Upgrade

  • OS OTA upgrade of the S9 / S9+ international variant to Q…denoted by the ‘F’ in the device codename for e.g. SM-G960F

OS OTA will not work if the device is the Korean variant …denoted by the ‘N’ in the device codename for e.g. SM-960N

  • The plan is to first get upgrades out on devices we sell as that is a smaller subset of supported devices. To get this working on all supported devices will require a massive development effort and may not be possible :crossed_fingers:
  • Testing successfully done internally. Testing could not start last week as the developer has some other tasks pending. We will start testing this week with our team of volunteers.

Update 18 Sep This week’s testing has been delayed due to issues with the build infrastructure. Expect the testing to start early next week.

eCloud Updated
This week we made some changes and upgrades to the eCloud, These changes are now complete…Pl check out the new look eCloud

Some of the points we improved / updated

  • UI redesign with eCloud theme v2 and new colors and icon set
  • /e/ Cloud Apps Launcher
  • Nextcloud updated to version 20.0.12
  • Calendar updated to 2.3.3

This thread will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone


See this forum post for details of how you can (if you are lucky :slight_smile:) upgrade from Q to R without losing your data

Or, as @tcecyk wrote in GitLab issue, change user_version pragma using an external SQLite editor :wink:
If you take a look at db content, you may find it a better solution as this db stores many settings.

sqlite3 is in android userland, so you can do it given an adb root shell on device. Lowering the db user_version is the only way (apart from deleting the file), db contents is not the issue. I think looking at Alexandres past changes and porting them to R will resolve this for everbody else

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear enough : I think that lowering the version is better as deleting the file, because it allows to keep all the settings stored in it.
Unfortunately no SQLite in TWRP, so to be able to change version the database has to be modified somewhere else …
I added a comment to your GitLab issue :wink:

Hello, what will be the Q version (Dev or Stable) available via OTA ? Thanks.

We are testing both dev and stable. Once we have a positive feedback from the testing team we will release first the dev and then the stable builds.

1 Like

For R OTA release, you said : “The plan is to first get upgrades out on devices we sell as that is a smaller subset of supported devices.”

Is GS290 planned?

Best regards

The first set of devices we are working on are the S9 and S9+. Will move to other devices once we successfully test the s9 upgrade.