Week 38 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.19 (testing in progress)

• Check the issues marked for fixing as part of v0.19
    - Pl note this list will be updated …issues will be added or may be removed from this cycle and moved to subsequent testing cycles if the resolution is taking time.
    Update 25 Sep Testing started on the 23 Sep.

/e/ R rollout

Update 25 Sep Due to some incorrect code check in, the build infra has developed issues specific to the /e/ R roll out

• At present we have identified the issue is specific to builds for devices which came out on Android 11. The team is still investigating this issue, ETA for resolution 1-2 weeks

• The week 37, 38 and 39 devices will be released in one set along with week 40

• Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

List can be modified in case builds fail or there are other issues during the build process

Installation Tip
    Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash stock before flashing /e/R .

Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
    Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• Due to issues with the build infra last week we were not able to start the testing

• what is planned as part of this upgrade

• OS OTA upgrade of the S9 / S9+ international variant to Q… international variant is denoted by the ‘F’ in the device codename for e.g. SM-G960F
    • OS OTA will not work if the device is the Korean variant …denoted by the ‘N’ in the device codename for e.g. SM-G960N
    • The plan is to first get upgrades out on devices we sell as that is a smaller subset of supported devices. To get this working on all supported devices will require a massive development effort and may not be possible :crossed_fingers:
    • OS OTA upgradeTesting successfully done internally. Only data lost was the fingerprint set by the user to unlock device. Developer is looking into this. The workaround is to remove any pins or locks before proceeding with the OS OTA upgrade

Update: 22 Sep Testing has started. We are taking it up one tester at a time as this is a critical upgrade. We sell the s9 / s9+ in our eSolutions Shop and most of our users are not exactly keen on flashing and installing ROM’s themselves. This requires a update process which is smooth and reliable.

• The first test went smoothly… We noted some issues that the tester faced while installing the build. These learning’s will be added to the install guide

eCloud upgrade

As of last week we upgraded the eCloud. The changes that came in as part of this upgrade are as under

• UI redesign with eCloud theme v2 and new colors and icon set
  • /e/ Cloud Apps Launcher
  • Nextcloud updated to version 20.0.12
  • Calendar updated to 2.3.3

• Users are requested to check existing issues like device data sync with the new eCloud version and report back in case of issues.
  • As you may have noticed there is a huge release note that comes with [NC 20.0.12]. (https://nextcloud.com/changelog/#latest20) . The /e/ team has checked for existing functionality working without issues. Pl also check the additional features mentioned in the NC changelog are now working.

This thread will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

16 Likes

Will the Email application for webmail be changed to something other than Rainloop? Or is the plan to stick with that for the foreseeable future?

At present I am not aware of any plans to replace it. Any reason why you would like to change it. Also can you name any alternatives that you think would fit in better on the ecloud.

1 Like

What’s the problem with Rainloop?

I remember a while back that it was briefly changed to the default Nextcloud email app for a few days and then switched back, I don’t know why. Also, I remember seeing on the roadmap on Gitlab that there were going to be UI improvements and better integration with contacts.

In my opinion, rainloop ist the default nextcloud web mail gui

We had an issue with the default email App…and there were some user complaints…do not remember what the exact issue was. Then we switched to Rainloop. Pl share the reason why rainloop needs to go or is not working for you. That way there is something I can take back to the team.

I think the default app would fit in better considering that all the other applications in ECloud now have a similar UI to it (i.e. better UI consistency), but that’s just my opinion.

Form follows function … Mostly better :wink:

There was an issue on the database size in which we found that it was replicating the entire information (users, folders, messages …) of mail server into the nextcloud database. This may work for a large scale organization but not for a smaller organization of our size.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say: Thanks a lot, e-team, the recent brush-up for eCloud looks really nice.

6 Likes

Nice NC upgrade, however “talk” is not active on my side…