Week 41 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.19 : To be released

• Testing started on 23 Sep.

• Issues closed

• Issues open

• Earliest release on dev channel may be by end this week.

• Slight delay due to an issue we had with some device builds which required pushing out the testing dates

• Release first goes on dev channel and after a couple of days on to the stable channel

To understand difference between /e/ builds on dev and stable channels check this guide

/e/ R rollout

• Last week we released week 37 , 38, 39 and 40 devices !!! That meant 12 New and 14 existing devices now have /e/R builds.

• We still have a problem with the devices mentioned here

bramble, alioth , bacon , coral , flame , kebab , lemonadep , redfin, sargo

• We are considering dropping OnePlus one bacon from the /e/ R upgrades. Despite our best efforts the device refuses to build! Developers are working on getting the other devices in this list to build.

Pl note these are device codenames.

To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

• Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

Update 14 Oct Devices marked for Week 41 have been released

List will be modified in case builds fail or if issues come up during the build process

:information_source: Installation Tip for /e/R
> Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• Release planned for stable s9 s9+ users who are still on oreo
  • OS OTA will not work for the dev Oreo s9 / S9+ builds.
  • Update will work only on the variant with ‘F’ in the device codename which is the international variant for e.g. SM-G960F
  • OS OTA will not work if the device is the Korean variant …denoted by the ‘N’ in the device for e.g. SM-G960N
  • Release planned in a couple of weeks. We had an issue where if a fingerprint was set to unlock the device before upgrading it got lost post the upgrade. We have a fix for this and are plan to add it to the build before release to all stable build users.
  • ETA after 2-3 weeks

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

awesome.
shame with bacon device, the great oneplus one. isnt lineageos working in android 11 in it?

How can I see if my Oneplus 5 is getting v0.19? Or do all devices on the list get it?

All supported devices get the updates. The exceptions are devices where we have issues while building or are not working correctly with the newer versions of /e/.

3 Likes

Hello.

Can we expect a GSI soon ? I know it depends on volunteer dev…

Thanks @ll team for your work.

Galaxy s4 jfltexx is still on e-0.17-n
/e/ image ROM download

Galaxy s4mini is still on e-0.13n
/e/ image ROM download

DivestOS is R for both…

The last premium Galaxy series,
That you can repair by yourself … as a FairPhone !
but available everywhere in the world !..
(2x less efficient, 10x cheaper)

I was discussing this with the porting team members yesterday. We will check how to move all the nougat devices to newer versions of the /e/OS. In some cases the devices are too old and have issues getting built on newer /e/OS versions.

1 Like

Nougat is good enought if it is easier for dev or maintainers, but
for some old devices, problem will be the /system partition size, even with Nougat
are we really not able to / ready to modify PIT ?

What I suggested to the team was to try what needs to be done to get some of these older devices working on /e/. The whole point of supporting such a wide range of devices is we get to cover devices from all locations and vendors.
It would definitely be easier to stick to a small set of devices which sell the most.
The downside of this is it promotes e-waste. Vendors will release new devices every year with only slight variations on previous models. It is business for them. On the other hand we all have our favorite devices which are now obsolete due to the march of newer OS versions.
At /e/ we hope to support devices as long as vendor support and security patches are available.
Working on the OS upgrades where possible is also a plus point for these ‘old faithful’ devices :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This is absolutely true. Even though those variations or modifications are slight, it will add up almost a half of the price of previous device.

1 Like

Yesterday, 17 more issues were opened, making a total of 40.
Are these all going to be resolved before the release?

Most of them are UI related. If possible , Yes we will fix and add them to the build before releasing. If not possible to fix in time it gets moved to the next build.

1 Like

One more question: if I install the latest beta for my Oneplus 5 now, can I later just install the non-beta over it in twrp?

Yes the build marked beta at present and the one we will release as non beta will be made using same keys. You should also get the update OTA

2 Likes