Week 43, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

That’s really good. Thank you @Manoj and Dev Team! :clap:

About the “Cleaning up the bugs”

I think that’s something necessary, to focus for some time on fixing things, but please don’t forget the security updates. They just can’t wait.

4 Likes

So no security updates for several months?

1 Like

Ohhh… The same thought. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Manoj, any chance for the default Browser and Webview to be updated with 1.5?

Unfortunately I’ve lost my hope for that. At least no target version mentioned at gitlab issue…

Wish they could at least add org.bromite.webview with bromite official signature to webviewpackages list at:

My understanding this would allow user to add bromite f-droid repository and install bromite webview, set it as default and get updates via f-droid. Sure they could even set this repository to App Lounge and even use bromite webview as default and user could get updates to it separately from /e/ OS uodates. Suggested these at gitlab too.

After this I could just uninstall/ disable default briwser and use bromite. currently webview is even bigger issue, after all user can select to use different browser…

But lets all hope positive surprise and update for both.

1 Like

It would be at least nice to know that it’s a priority for the staff and that it’s planned for a specific version, 1.5 or 1.12 I don’t care. But at least that it’s taken into account.

The plan is to drop them and move to a different one entirely. This is under development and testing. Will announce what will be the replacement once I have more inputs.

5 Likes

hi @Manoj , is the current S v1-s defaulting to eOS 1.4 or 1.5?
thanks

/e/OS S would be a part of v1.5

1 Like

Drop them? Bromite is the only Android fork of Chromium that removes the proprietary Google dependencies.

Why doesn’t /e/ instead fund them directly? Has /e/ team reached out to Carl in any manner at all?
(Why is Bromite falling behind in updates · Discussion #1745 · bromite/bromite · GitHub)

Also on this note, a new zero day was announced today and the known security vulnerability count for /e/OS browser & WebView is at 234: Chrome Releases: Stable Channel Update for Desktop

2 Likes

Gaël had discussed with Carl on collaborating. Carl refused and had his own moral justifications. They had an email exchange discussing this.

4 Likes

I appreciate the response, and am happy there was some communication.
Thank you @Manoj.

1 Like

Please, is there any news about GSI v1.5 R or (better) S?
There are a lot of smartphones not on the devices list that could use the GSI.
Thank you.

As mentioned in the initial post

1 Like

Just wanted to give eOS a try and headed to
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/
for downloading it.

However, speed is around 50kB/s, so it’ll take hours…

Did I pick just the wrong day and time? How about putting a torrent link there as well - I wouldn’t mind seeding back for some time :slight_smile:

Could you please move to Mull browser instead?

It is based on Firefox, so closer to the goal of /e/OS anyway.

2 Likes

I wish they could use Mull but I don’t think they will because @SkewedZeppelin looked surprised that /e/ is working on a different solution for the /e/ browser.

thanks.
i asked because when i compile (unsupported device) the generated file still shows 1.4.
I’m starting with a fresh repo download, will reach out if I still see the ROM being output showing as 1.4.

it generated as 1.5 … all good