Week 44, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v1.5

Some of the fixes and updates that come as part of this release

• Android security update September 5,2022.
  • Mail 6.307 and AccountManager 4.2.3.3-ose apps are updated.
  • Add the chunk upload and deletion support in File synchronization.
  • Various fixes for App Lounge and Bliss Launcher.
  • Better support of third-party apps.
    Update 2 Nov
    We missed out adding the MicroG v0.2.25 update to the v1.5 build. Will share details as to when it can be released and in which build. The reason why it was not added is as this microG update came out 8 days ago while we started the testing on 5th Oct :slight_smile:

v1.5 Release notes

:boom: /e/OS ‘S’ builds are also being tested

ETA : With the testing almost complete, release expected this week.

2 Nov Update We have started the release of v1.5. It will be staggered across devices. Which means it will be released in installments. For now R dev builds are being released.

Bug clean up !!!

Till end of this year, the development team will be focusing on closing out the bugs in Gitlab. The builds post v1.5 will be coming out early 2023.

Feedback on v1.4

GSI

v1.4

• Download here
    • Sources available here
  • S and R version of GSI to be planned based on developer availability

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• Samsung s9 / s9+
  • Samsung s7/ s7+
  • OnePlus Nord Q to R (stable build)
  • FP3 Q to R :new:

Upcomings

• Samsung s8 /s8+

• Pie to S OTA upgrade
    • 2 critical issues were detected with the build. There is an issue around this but it marked internal by the team. Unless resolved we will not be able to release this build. For now the team is working on resolving these issues in the upgrade build.
    • ETA : With v1.5 :crossed_fingers:
  • FP3

• Pie to Q OTA upgrade
      • To confirm if we can have a Pie to R upgrade
      • ETA not available

FP3 OS OTA Upgrade - Q to R :new:

The FP3 Q to R OTA OS upgrade builds have been released as of yesterday with v1.5. Users should be receiving them now.

On the FP3 Pie to Q / R we will upgrade the Easy Installer to help with this update. The only difference would be this would be a manual effort, unlike an OTA upgrade. Also, the users will have to take a backup of their data as the upgrade will wipe all data before updating.

What we mean by OS OTA upgrade - Click to expand or close

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom-builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released, which may result in data loss.

/e/OS S

• 80+ devices planned for /e/OS S or Android 12 upgrade. List updated :new:

• Release will be in monthly batches of 20 devices.

• For device details, check this list for the device names

• More devices will be added for upgrade

• /e/OS S code is now accessible to all

• ETA : With v1.5

Unofficial ROM build refer the section ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

below Recent Documentation updates
ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom
  • A new Docker image has been released
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
  • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
  • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c ‘git lfs pull’

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes:

Due to the large size of the android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks we have switched to using LFS, and now you will need to refer to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

Hello,

Has the team assigned a developer for building the 1.5 S GSI version?

Here Week 42, 2022: Development and Testing Updates - #3 by Manoj

you said “As yet not allocated to anyone.”

Then, in the Week 43, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates - #20 by Manoj,

you said “S and R version of GSI to be planned based on developer bandwidth.”

Was one developer assigned?

Thanks.

I have already mentioned this is the post above. To clarify this further.
No developer has been assigned as yet.
When a developer is assigned, I shall update here.

2 Likes

Great! I (and many other /e/OS users) just can’t wait!
Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Got /e/ OS 1,5 update today, not surprisingly but still unfortunately no updates to browser & webview. Too tired to complaining of this though, just saying. Would have thought final bromite based update could be in the limits for 1,5 but I assume this bug will be fixed by replacing browser and webview at first 2023 update.

Until then webview vulnerabilities probably will exceed 300, so better think what to do with device bit more carefully.

3 Likes

Does this vulnerability is raised on eOS’ gitlab?

Otherwise it’s the best place to be heard for that kind of issue

Release for the Fairphone 4 ?

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/5986

It’s here + older issue was closed without being fixed, but… I don’t know is there point to continue that anymore since it’s now said current browser and WebView are gonna be changed completely. That will fix this finally.

Still nothing for the FP4 stable build, but has been released for the dev build.

So I guess it won’t be long yet…

1 Like

Hi Stanwood,

It’s possible to download 1.5 stable here /e/ image ROM download but nothing in OTA for FP4 yet :confused:

I finally got it (1 hour ago).
I pressed several times on the refresh bottom and then OTA 1.5 could be downloaded.
Installation went fine :wink:

3 Likes

I love it haha, what perseverance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope you got it too! :wink:

Yes i’m on 1.5 now :slight_smile: like you did, I refreshed again and again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holy Mother of workarounds, I did the trick for me too.
It’s like up up down down left right left right b a.
Thx, with 1.5 audi connect app works again

1 Like

Just to be up to speed. Will my GS290 receive 1.5?

My daughter has a GS290 and received yesterday V1.5.

Cheers stanwood, at least 1.5 is in the pipeline.

My FP3 update to 1.5.
I am very happy to see that it’s a major upgrade from Android 10 (q) to
Anroid 11 (r).
@Team dev: Thanks you for work \o/

5 Likes

Still nothing for the S9+ :pensive: