Week 44 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.19 : Released

• Issues closed

• Issues open

• /e/ R builds have not been released. ETA for release of /e/ R v0.19 next week.

• Releases are usually first sent out on dev channel and after a couple of days on to the stable channel. This time we have released most of the stable builds along with the dev as we had additional rounds of testing done.

• In case v0.19 builds for your device have not come to your device OTA pl let me know in this thread, and I can have that checked out.

To understand difference between /e/ builds check this guide

/e/ R rollout

• Week 43 devices were released on time last week

• Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

List will be updated in case the build fails for specific devices

:information_source: Installation Tip for /e/R

Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
    Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
    Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• Release planned for stable s9 s9+ users who are still on oreo

• OS OTA will not work for the dev Oreo s9 / S9+ builds.

• Update will work only on the variant with ā€˜Fā€™ in the device codename which is the international variant for e.g. SM-G960F

• OS OTA will not work if the device is the Korean variant ā€¦denoted by the ā€˜Nā€™ in the device for e.g. SM-G960N

• Release planned in a couple of weeks. We had an issue where fingerprint set to unlock the device before upgrading got lost post the upgrade. Another issue was the dialer icon would move out of the dock post the upgrade. Fix being integrated to the build.

• ETA after 2-3 weeks.

Apps Installer issues

Nervuri pointed out an issue in the App Installer and even discussed and tested out the solutions the dev team proposed. He has shared a detailed analysis of the issue on his site.
An issue has been created to track the points raised by Nervuri

We genuinely appreciate such assistance in pointing out issues and flaws in the /e/OS or in its default set of applications. While the development team does routinely check for such issues a fresh pair of eyes helping out is always welcome. Will share updates on the progress in plugging these short comings in the /e/OS.

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

11 Likes

Thanks to Nervuri for that amazing work, and thanks to e/ team for open their mind and hears

2 Likes

Hi @Manoj , thanks for the information.

For the device a5y17lte I see that new versions (e.g. v0.19) are still released for /e/-Q. Do you know if this will be the case for future releases too or is there a plan to completely switch to /e/-R and thus drop /e/-Q for those devices?

Hi @weichselbaumj as mentioned in the update the /e/R builds will be released next week. The Q builds will continue for some time. Eventually we will have to focus on only one version of the OS. This is because maintaining multiple versions takes up a lot of resources which we do not have at the moment. When this switch to /e/ R will happen is the important question for which I do not have an exact answer. You can assume that support for previous OS versions will continue for a couple of months at least. Will update in these weekly posts when ever the plan to drop an OS version comes up.

6 Likes

Means, the amount of supported Devices will be decreased in the future? Or not, but without Upgradesā€¦
Right?

That is good, and simple, if the upgraded version of /e/OS fully replaces the old, it is time to move on.

4 Likes

News about Poco F3 alioth?

The team was having issues building for the alioth . Will check and update if there has been any progress on the issue.

2 Likes

I rather understood this as being limited to ONE (the latest) Android version per device.
For my Oneplus 5, for example, there are Q (Android 10) builds and R (Android 11) builds. You could limit this to R builds. If R runs well, there is no reason to continue supporting Q.

OK, but I consider that normal anyway.
thatā€™s the normal way everywhere, isnā€™t it?
When the new version runs stable and goes out of beta, the old stable is discontinued. at most still provided with security fixes but no longer with new features.

Hi, if I understand well (Iā€™m not sure :smiley:), for my S9+ with oreo I have to wait to have R (or Q) proposed for installation instead of the ā€œclassicalā€ oreo ?
Arnaud

The problem is that you canā€™t just install Android 11 over Android 10, you have to do a clean install. Many people cannot be expected to do that.

1 Like

Why not? Whatā€™s the problem with that?

1 Like

Starting from the old 10 based,
Installing the new 10 based, and taking a seedvault backup of your apps and settings,
will make you easily the move to the new 11 based

The problem is that you will lose all your installed apps and data

OK, but why?

Is there a wipe in pre- or postinstall Scripts?
And why?

Other vendors or custom roms can do this without loosing Apps and data, or?

At the moment if you do a ā€˜dirty flashā€™ (i.e. install the Android n ROM over the Android n-1 ROM) using TWRP the phone will probably not boot, but will eventually reboot back to TWRP. This is due to a bug which is present in LineageOS and in /e/ (although /e/ have implemented a fix, and there is also a workaround involving deleting some files using TWRPā€™s File Manager app after flashing the ROM, but before booting the new system.

Because of this bug, the Updater app will not process a downloaded update which increases the Android version. So the only way (apart from the delete files with TWRP workaround) to upgrade from Android 10 to Android 11, is to wipe (or maybe format) the data partition, which will of course delete all your installed apps and user data.

3 Likes

(it is not a LineageOS bug) - the /e/ team merged a migration path a week ago into Q (see ā€œTechnical detailsā€ in LineageDatabaseHelper: Downgrade DB_VERSION to 13 (!70) Ā· Merge requests Ā· e / os / android_lineage-sdk Ā· GitLab), so after another Q update thereā€™s a safe migration to R

So is it possible in LineageOS to dirty flash Android 11 over Android 10 without losing data? Does the phone still boot OK?

Yes. But until that fix is available, the point stands - a clean install is needed. Hopefully not for very much longer :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve never heard from such problems on LOS.