Week 46 : Development and Testing Updates

If you have not used the phone very much, the thing I would do is go to TWRP and backup your Data partition. This action would probably only be of any use to you if you eventually restore Oreo. AS a guide if I were to do this the backup would occupy 1331MB, you would need to have the required space somewhere external to the device (preferably).

Boot to TWRP > Backup , Tick only “Data (excl. storage)(Size is shown)”
… > Select Storage … [SD card if practical]
Swipe to Backup.

*(Again, this will only have a chance of restoring on a “renewed” Oreo instance, it may require special attention to work. We can come to that at the time - and it still might not be an effective restore.)

Then wait for better help! :slightly_smiling_face:

The “Data” partition is 0MB, it is empty, because it is not mounted, because I do not have the password to mount it.

Unless someone finds what password could have been used to automatically encrypt my device, I do not think there is any hope to recover.

I have good backups, it is not the end of the world, but it is the end of my experience with /e/.

Thank you all for your help, I learned a lot chatting with you!

1 Like

https://source.android.com/security/encryption
“Metadata encryption
Android 9 introduces support for metadata encryption, where hardware support is present. With metadata encryption, a single key present at boot time encrypts any content that is not encrypted by FBE, such as directory layouts, file sizes, permissions, and creation times”

I believe, and I say I believe, that it could have been due to the change of android version, since when I flashed android 9 I had to use dfe so that the mobile was not encrypted, which in android 8 it did not, since it did not have that trouble.

Sounds like you already took all the right precautions, but I am so sorry you feel at the end of the road, thank you for your kind words.

I do not think the answer is in un-encryption, though it looks like it. Your data was hijacked by Google’s little helpers and there will be no ransom note.

Wear your badge with pride. I do hope you decide to stay in the morning.

1 Like

Agree
I think that if you restore a working systèm, you may get access to your /data partition, still protected by your schéma

1 Like

In TWRP /data is exactly the data partition.
And it’s being shown as empty as long as TWRP doesn’t decrypt it, as TWRP just can’t see what’s in it.

Isn’t this somehow what is to come, but shouldn’t be there just yet? See “OS OTA Upgrade Testing” in the first post.

@Manoj: Did this go live somehow? During testing, is/was there a way to reverse this upgrade without wiping data?

2 Likes

No the OS Upgrade code has not been released due to one issue which still exists. The issue was with the fingerprint set by the user disappearing.
There is no way the upgrade or downgrade can avoid data loss to the best of my knowledge. We tested this and always had a clean device at the end of a successful upgrade / downgrade

1 Like

Hello, i just experienced the same thing @abi did. (S9+) Phone said an update was ready, updated, now the phones stuck on the lock screen. I swipe my code, the screen goes black then goes back to the lock screen. An update must have went out because i received one and it said it was an update to Android 10. Unfortunately for me, unlike @abi, i didn’t keep proper backups and have about 5 months of pictures on the phone. Is there anyway to get the phone unlocked or are all my pictures toast?

At the TWRP screen does it provide you an option to cancel and if yes what happens if you press the cancel button.

I don’t think so. Do you have TWRP? Are you able to check with TWRP?

Boot into TWRP > Advanced > File Manager …

You probably know internal storage is called /sdcard, and YOUR SD card is /external_sd.

Get your bearings, do you already have things in /external_sd, particularly have you previously used /external_sd/DCIM for photo storage?

Now navigate, (notice Up a level, to navigate) to /sdcard, when you look in your DCOM folder do you see camera folders, and image files?

Make a plan, please ask again if it is not intuitive.

I would always use Copy rather than Move.You have a Rename tool.

There is “Select folder”, the blue tick lower right, selects the whole folder you are in. Next Copy, navigate to some useful destination on /external_sd.
Swipe to confirm.

Beware not to overwrite DCIM on /external_sd if it was in use.

@Manoj please could you alert the team to this thread, @abi is a Customer, I think @Archer too. We could really do with some more knowledgeable and confident help here.

I am checking with the team on what happened with the last build. Will update once I have a response

1 Like

@Archer I think the data is not lost, because on the lock screen, I see notifications of my friends chatting. This means my applications are running normally, so the /data partition should be mounted at this point.

Is e-0.19q supposed to work on S9 ? What causes the OS to relock immediately after unlocking ?

e-0.18-q-20210828132307-dev-starlte was generally fairly well received https://community.e.foundation/search?q=e-0.18-q%20%2B%20Samsung%20order%3Alatest

e-0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-starlte is not long out of extended testing https://community.e.foundation/search?expanded=true&q=e-0.19-q%20%2B%20Samsung

I would expect it to be sound. You might just double check about fingerprint issue on Post #1 here.

As part of the testing after adding the finger print getting lost issue we detected it was not working in all cases. This is now being checked by the developer. One option would be to release with the advise to users to remove any fingerprint before the upgrade process.

@abi @Archer were you on the stable Oreo builds of s9+ before the update. The devices purchased from the eSolutions Shop are on the stable build.

Yes I was. I have an S9 from /e/ (SM-G960F).

Briefly pp @Archer (I think he may be UTC -05:00) he pitched in at Post #48 very much as if he had been bumped from Oreo to 10.

Were you on the testing build …the one you get by changing the setting in Developer options…which enables the ‘Use staging OTA server’ option.

Checking as the Q v0.19 build for s9 stable has not been released . The build is still on Oreo.

I hope we get the OTA Upgrade to Android 10 before the end of the year.

So am I correct that the only advantage of the OTA is the simplicity?

Will the upgrade involve the user selecting the upgrade or will it be automatic?

The main problem I can see is that you end up with a e/os reset, all data gone.

I think the upgrade must be manual, with a big warning on the screen that you will lose all your data when you install and to try to back up what you can. Otherwise you will have many users, large numbers likely to be customers who bought phones from you who don’t read this forum, losing their data and giving up on e/os.

At the moment, there is no comprehensive backup tool.

Something’s you can back up, but it will be an arduous task to set the upgraded phone to the way it was (apps, their settings and their data, phone system settings etc).

The upgrade is manual. It will show up in the download list and has to be manually initiated. Then it upgrades automatically. So far we have not seen any data loss during the testing but a backup is always good.

1 Like