Week 47, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Thanks, somehow I completely missed that. :slight_smile:

I second the question. My girlfriend also has an FP3 with pie.

Hello @Manoj
the bug 2840 (Error message after clean Q install (#2840) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab) has been closed automatically although it is not solved.
Is it possible to open it again?
Thanks

Reopened the issue as required. Just saw there were comments on it which were made recently.

2 Likes

thank you very much :+1:

You might already know, but just to make sure: There is a 1.5.1-S dev build for the FP3 already. Perhaps you are waiting for a stable build though.

I recently installed the S-dev build on my FP3+ and cannot complain (apart from the new oversized quick settings icons). It actually seems that I’m getting a slightly longer (perhaps 20-25% extra compared to Q) battery cycle out of it by now. :slight_smile:

And a change seldom mentioned so far, but quite interesting: For the first time, the option to power off or reboot the device is available in the user interface (in the quick settings) without needing the physical buttons on the phone to trigger this.

1 Like

I couldn’t bring the /e/OS Exposure Notifications version of microG to work after installing 1.5.1-s-20221103231515-dev-FP3.
And I confirmed this is an Android 12 thing in my case, as it was not related to the “dirty” upgrade I did at first, and the same Exposure Notifications version of microG works on 1.5-r-20221030230467-dev-FP3.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’d rather use the stable series. :wink:
If I’d had a second phone, I’d be happy to play around, but not on this one. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

btw., I had a look at the Easy Installer for Linux. First, many thanks for actually providing this.
However, since my distribution doesn’t support snap, I’d have to set up that first myself.
It’s doable, but overall, it’s possibly more work than the manual install, given that I have adb, fastboot etc. already installed. So an answer to my original question would still be appreciated.
Haven’t decided yet, which way I’ll choose, though.

" This /e/OS v1.6 includes the Android security patches available until October + CVE-2022-20465."

The latest security patches are from 11/2022, maybe you guys can find a way to include those patches a little faster?

Would be nice to get the latest patches when they become available.

As a small incentive: LineageOS included the patches 5 days after the announcement and I saw some customROMS over at xda which got them right at the next day :smile:

Despite that, keep up the good work! :+1:

I would rather see builds getting a proper test by the /e/ testing team before they released to users :slight_smile:

Lineage OS make nightly builds, and release them every week or so. The /e/ build cycle is a bit slower, for (IMHO) good reasons

2 Likes

Dear Manoj,

Browser not updated…still not saving passwords.

…from the above it would seem that the bug was patched in 100.0.4896.92.

Please comment

I have not seen another report regarding this issue. You can raise it in Gitlab and share device and build details. Developers may contact you there for details. Have informed the dev team but an issue will be helpful to track.

2 Likes

Up until yesterday I was also still on Pie and somewhat disappointed not to have an OTA update. Using the Easy Installer Snap on Pop!_OS 22.04, the upgrade was a breeze. It lead me through all the necessary steps and after about 15 mins my phone was up and running again. I just had to restore my backups afterwards, where necessary (Signal, Authy, FairEmail, OpenKeychain).

So just to clarify, because the wording in the OP could be sort of misleading: The Easy Installer can be used to upgrade manually from Pie to R as is - just with the usual PSA that all device data will be wiped and backups should be taken.

Same on lemonade OP9 with 1.6-s testing. Issue raised on gitlab: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/6270

1 Like

In what other way would you understand it? :thinking:

In this thread Passwords in Browser fail to save, this issue was linked to this Bromite “fixed” issue Dialog to store passwords does not show anymore · Issue #1956 · bromite/bromite · GitHub. I was never quite sure, but I think I lost the passwords due to Format data and “Clean install” and lost the dialog due to the Bromite issue.

From the OP:

Users will need to use the Easy Installer to help with this update. We will share details as to when the EasyInstaller will be updated to handle this.

I understood it like the Easy Installer needs to be updated and is not yet ready to be used for a version upgrade, whereas that isn’t the case.

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, but will OS updates be available through the Updater when you have a dev-version of e/OS/ S installed? Or do you also have to apply them manually?

All “official builds” dev or stable have OTA updates,
unofficial and custom depends of the maintainers.

Only a few of devices (models that have been solded by murena) have ponctualy OTA upgrades, it is a hard work.