Status: On Track
You can track the progress of issues scheduled to be a part of v0.20 here
The relative low number of fixes in this set indicates that a number of issues are yet to be assigned to this release.
First, we will have an internal testing cycle. Once the testing team validates the build, it will be released to all users on the dev channel. Do not have any ETAs on this for now. Will share once I get any inputs.
/e/R builds of v0.19: As some of you who are on the R builds may have noticed, we did not release the 0.19 version on R. This was due to a number of issues still active on the R builds. The issues will be fixed and released as part of the v0.20 build.
/e/ R rollout
Status: On Track
Builds that Failed I have moved all the devices that failed to build to Week 52. This is the list of devices that failed to build.
Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth) , Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble) , OnePlus One (bacon) , Google Pixel 4 XL (coral) , Google Pixel 4 (flame), OnePlus ‘8T’ (kebab)
We are facing an issue with devices which came out on Android 11. The porting team has identified the reason the builds fail. The team is finalizing the approach to be adopted to resolve it.
Check out the Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices
List gets updated when build fails for specific devices
Installation Tip for /e/R
Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details
To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable
$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device
One side effect of this release schedule is that we would be identifying devices that can be dropped from our list of supported devices. Some users complain about covering such a wide range of devices. The reason is not all devices are available in all regions. For example, the excellent Fairphone’s are not available in India. Such vendor restrictions require us to cater to a wide range of vendors available across regions and user bases. Another point is, not all of us tend to throw out devices just because a new model is available. At /e/ we would try our best to support devices as long as possible. The downside to this is the hardware would not be able to handle the demands of the newer OS versions. Also, vendors themselves stop releasing patches for the device after some time. So far we have not identified any device that can be dropped.
v0.19 release issue on S9 / S9+
Status: issue identified
An issue was reported by some s9 /s9+ users on stable builds. We stopped the releases for these particular devices when the user feedback started coming in.
- The reason we identified for the issue is that some traffic was not redirected to the correct docker image during a maintenance cycle. This unfortunately resulted in the incorrect code being pushed to user devices. Team to work on action to avoid such issues in the future.
Advise to users impacted by this particular issue: Pl write to firstname.lastname@example.org with all available details. So far we have had only 4 users who have reported this issue.
OS OTA Upgrade Testing
Status: yellow_circle: under testing
- Based on the previous issue, the release of the upgrade code is on hold. We will schedule an internal test and post a successful response, release the build. Will get an update on this activity during the week and also share any ETA if provided.
Apps Store updates
Status: On track
A new version of the apps store is undergoing testing. This is the list of changes coming as part of the new version
- Integrated Search Fragment with Google Play API
- Resolved multiple memory leaks
- Switched to the latest APIs, libraries and removed all deprecated code
- Layout and theme adjustments to the UI to improve UX
- Improved memory and performance efficiency
- Major application refactoring to modularize code for speed and scalability
- Code is still being tested and will undergo changes based on the test results.
- There are other issues opened separately, so we can track the points shared by Nervuri in his analysis. Post the current development and testing, developers will take up these issues.
- These fixes should be available with the next build …v0.20
eCloud Google Data migration
A couple of days back, we had announced the testing of the Google Data Migration app in eCloud. This feature has been released.
Check out the guide for the usage here
This post will be updated through the week
Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online services