Week 51 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.20

• For the change log, check this link
  • You can track the progress of issues fixed as part of v0.20 here
  • Pl note App Store and eCloud updates are not coming as part of v0.20.
    As part of the testing, we detected a number of issues which still need to be closed. The team has decided to move the release to v0.21 along with fixes to issues identified. Will share some interesting details of what changes can be expected in the store.
    Will share details of these changes in these updates.
  • v0.20 /e/OS released so far on dev channel - (will update as each version rolls out)
    • Q
    • Pie
    • Oreo
      Update 24 Dec We may have to push Nougat and R builds to v0.21 ( early Jan ). There are some issues in the builds that the team is resolving. Will update in these posts in case there is a change in this status.
      Sorry for the inconvenience.

Learn about the /e/ build types

/e/ R rollout

• All devices for week 50 were released last week.

• We are nearing the completion of the /e/ R release cycle. Next week …week 52 we will release all the builds that failed during this release cycle.

Builds that Failed This is the list of devices that failed to build.

Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth) , Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble) , OnePlus One (bacon) , Google Pixel 4 XL (coral) , Google Pixel 4 (flame), OnePlus ‘8T’ (kebab), OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep), Google Pixel 5 (redfin)

• We have been able to build for these devices and expect to release these builds in week 52. There was an important code level change which was implemented to ensure builds for these devices do not fail. The team is documenting the changes. Will share the link to the changes once it is complete.
  • Check out the Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

:information_source: Installation Tip for /e/R

Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
    Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
    Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

• The basic strategy behind the supported device list is

• Support as many devices as possible
    • Support for as long as possible
    • Upgrade to the latest OS
    • In case we do have to stop support for a device we will put a red flag against it in our supported device list. That way users have a clear idea what to expect on a device build.

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• We are conducting a new iteration of testing on devices available internally. Post that will release to all users requiring an upgrade from S9/S9+ Oreo to Q OTA.

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

18 Likes

Google Pixel 5 (redfin) also.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris, have added redfin to the list.

I guess I still don’t understand the update timing for the Pixel 4a running Android R. My 4a is still on 0.19 with no update to 0.20 appearing in the System update. Am I doing something wrong that 0.20 is not hitting this device or misunderstanding the release schedule for this device?
Thanks!

Actually, I am on 0.18. Missed 0.19 as well! :unamused:

Version 0.20-r has yet to be released. I think 0.19-r is skipped. As it says at the top of this topic :wink::

Thanks Chris,

Much appreciated.

Mike

1 Like

The official e OS for Xperia XZ2 Compact (xz2c) will be relased until the end of this week?
Thanks

Will the R builds also be released this time and if so, also this week?

2 Likes

I hope so. The team members are super busy, and I am pushing them to get these builds out. With the holiday season coming, most of the team will be on vacation in the next week. Hope to get these builds out by this weekend.

3 Likes

I just successfully updated to 0.20-p-dev on my FP3.

I successfully updated to 0.20-q-dev on my Teracube 2e and 0.20-q-dev on my Samsung S9. Thank you team! :beers:

Successfully updated GS290 on V.020-Q Stable as well.
But 0.20-R on Lavender is not yet published.

When new nougat builds are released, I usually make unofficial releases for some Sony devices that are stuck on nougat (taoshan, nicki, ivy). So the unofficial v0.20 builds for those devices will be delayed too. But v0.19 seems to be working pretty well so it’s not a big deal :wink: