What is the proposed social network app to replace Facebook ? Mastodon / Diaspora clients?

I was wondering what application will be proposed to replace Facebook ? I can’t seem to find anything about this.

I think it would be useful to have a table indicating what alternatives are available pre-installed when using this project ROMs and which apps can be added to provide a better experience depending on what propietary apps were in use before coming here. If there’s such a table I can’t find it, I was hoping for something like this list at Framasoft, maybe just linking there would help.

1 Like

I personally would not recommend any social network app. I use Facebook in WebApps which is exactly what you need. You can even set, that environment acts like desktop, so you don’t even need any app to chat because chat is accessible there. Its completely separated from your system, so no harm can be done.

1 Like

I’m on Mastodon (discord, Telegram,…) but 95% of my family & friends are on WhatsApp.
WebApps seems not working with WhatsApp.
If anyone has found a solution…

I used to use Metal Pro but since I migrated to /e/ no way to use the paid version of Metal. My research led me to Frost for facebook on F-Droid

It is not the same experience as the one on the native application but we quickly take the landmarks.

Both Metal free/Pro or Frost for facebook applications are web wrapper and have the advantage of including facebook messenger but without audio or video calls (I don’t use it).

2 Likes

Or try Hermit, can be found on APK Pure: https://apkpure.com/p/com.chimbori.hermitcrab

Try mewe.com as a fb replacement.

Talk to your kids and to your neighbours instead. It’s a lot better.

2 Likes

Another alternative is Okuna an Ethical social network. It’s still in beta and not available from the Apps store, but you can get the APK from here: Okuna Android Releases

They are opening up access to it little by little. To get access you need either an invitation or sign-up for the beta access from their homepage here: Okuna Homepage

I have some invitations left if someone is interested and would like to give it a try.

I tried install it ( mewe) from Apps store in my /e/phone, but it can’t be installed ! why ? there is no download.

http://gab.com is the fastest growing social platform and their video platform is Gab.tv

See fediverse.party
I like Friendica for FB and Twitter, socialhome.network for LinkedIn, pixelfed for Instagram and Peertube for Youtube

I have been looking for a while for a Facebook and Youtube replacement. Tested a number of alternatives.
Created a Mastadon profile but the platform seems cluttered.
Signal can replace WhatsApp.
One to watch is bebo returning this month. How privacy centric it will be is unclear.