Whatsapp not working cause of "Custom ROM" on Fairphone

Dear all,

I have to use Whatsapp to comunicate with farmers I’m working for.
Since 1.12.22 whatsapp wanted to be installed with a new version, which was, until now, never a problem. When I download it again now it is not working anymore. I also tried whatsapp business: it is saying that it cannot run on my phone, because my phone uses “Custom ROM”, but what does that mean?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

A custom ROM in this context is basically an (Android or not) operating system not certified by Google. This applies to /e/OS, LineageOS, IodéOS, CalyxOS etc. etc.

Have you tried manually installing the latest app version as an .apk from https://whatsapp.com/android?

3 Likes

Thanks, it works! :slight_smile: That was easy

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I unfortunately for a short period of time also have to use wazzap…

I tried installing with the apk directly but it doesn’t work. It used to work up until recently. Any ideas what could be the problem?

1 Like

I had to get WhatsApp recently for family and had the same issue. I was able to get it to work by downloading and signing up on an old iPhone (I imagine this will also work with an old Android still linked to Google), then linking the WhatsApp on /e/ by scanning the QR code from the iPhone WhatsApp. Hope this helps you.

I just did the same thing and registered the new phone as a second device and it works. Did you also have to add your contacts on the old phone for them to show up in WhatsApp on the new phone?

This topic was automatically closed after 62 days. New replies are no longer allowed.