When will be self hosted server available?

I was looking for a solution to host my data myself and go far from Google and I found /e/, but I know Nextcloud and I know that the administrator has access to user data, and I wanted to know when self hosted server will be available.

Is a date planned ?
Why there is nothing available on Gitlab ?
Iā€™m planning to host my server on a Raspberry Pi, do you think it will be compatible ?

3 Likes

hello,
my little finger said to me : wait until tomorrow, maybe :smile: :wink:
https://twitter.com/gael_duval/status/1163893956079431686

3 Likes

Have a look to Nextcloudpi a full nextcloud remasterred for raspberry pi.

1 Like

@vlag24
I love your Xiaomiā€™s avatar :joy:
But when I flash TWRP with fastboot on my Redmi 6A (cactus) and I reboot to recovery, Iā€™ve a prompt ā€œType password for decrypting Data partitionā€, how do you pass that ?
EDIT : Only way seems to format data partition or to not use TWRP to flash /e/ : Have a look here in section ā€œFlash GSI without TWRPā€ you can use fastboot.

@e-media
Iā€™ll wait tomorrow.

For the moment, Iā€™m trying to make a GSI image of /e/ (an image that work on ALL phones shipped with Oreo or Pie) cause my device isnā€™t compatible.

1 Like

I will have a look tomorrow too :wink:

You have also an other possibility with YUNOHOST for homehosting.

Itā€™s easy the setup your own nextcloud server on a raspberryPI. I have two running. One with raspberry and one with a cubitruck. I have access to 3 TB data fron.everywhere 8n the world.
Tutorials how to setup NC on a raspberrPI you will find in web. And itā€™s really easy.

After your GSI is ready, start with your own NC server. No need to wait fir the e server scrript

I know how to setup a Nextcloud but I donā€™t know if a /e/ server is only a Nextcloud server or if there is another ā€œthingā€ like a mail server or a database or anything else.

And for Yunohost I never tested myself but i tested the demo and thatā€™s no what Iā€™m searching

The mail client in e.drive is rainloop. Iā€™musing the ā€˜standardā€™ email app from Nextcloud.

I donā€™t hink that there is something special in e.drive NC. But Iā€™m ony a user, so I canā€™t know for sure

hello, thanks for my avatar :rofl::crazy_face::upside_down_face:
I was not aware there was an /e/ iso for Redmi 6Aā€¦
so Iā€™ve installed /e/ on my redmi note 5 pro a few months ago and really, I used a lot of blogā€™s articles and websites tips, I finally succeeded but I donā€™t know if I would do it again right now with such success (sadly I didnā€™t took notes at the time, my mistake) Anyway, it took me days/months to unblock my xiaomi bootloader (shame on them)ā€¦
ā€œType password for decrypting Data partitionā€ > I think I never saw this mention or prompt during my /e/ installation, did you follow the tutorials now proposed by the /e/ wiki and community ? Iā€™d just verified I donā€™t find /e/ for your redmi 6A in the list (https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/wiki/en/wikis/devices-list) I donā€™t think you can try to install it, you will brik your phone (watchout)

/e/ is not compatible with Redmi 6A yet, but Iā€™m trying to make it working.
TWRP is asking for password to decrypt data partition on first start with MIUIā€™s new version, but not on all devices, seems that on Redmi note 5 itā€™s not requiredā€¦

1 Like

Have you seen.this announcement?
[:mega: Itā€™s been in the pipe for a while, itā€™s now available! We are very pleased to announce that today, /e/cloud services can be installed on any server for self-hosting! You can now manage and host your mail, drive, etc. for your family or corporate, using a single identity on your own custom domain, and connect it with your/e/OS smartphone. Still in beta, yet ready for a test drive and we will fix it according to your feedbackā€¦ Check it out at: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting](:mega: Itā€™s been in the pipe for a while, itā€™s now available! We are very pleased to announce that today, /e/cloud services can be installed on any server for self-hosting! You can now manage and host your mail, drive, etc. for your family or corporate, using a single identity on your own custom domain, and connect it with your/e/OS smartphone. Still in beta, yet ready for a test drive and we will fix it according to your feedbackā€¦ Check it out at: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting)

2 Likes

As @harvey186 has already responded you can check the gitlab page here for details on how to host your own /e/ cloud services

1 Like

Iā€™ve read the Twitter post and have already checked GitHub page but Iā€™m focusing on building GSI image.

One step after the other. GSI is more important :wink:

Hello guys!
I see you are talking about Yunohost and /e/.
If you are interested by the subject and/or willing to help people, I open 2 conversations:

in English here: Yunohost and /e/

in French here: https://forum.yunohost.org/t/yunohost-et-e/8787

Please do not hesitate to help :slight_smile:

Thank you

I checked out the self hosting repo on GitLab yesterday and saw that no commits have been made for almost a year. Is that because there were no changes necessary or because the project has been put on hold for now? Iā€™m also interested in self hosting eCloud and would like to experiment with it.
Also, does anybody know the state of the ansible branch? There the latest commits are also a year old.

Thanks guys!

The current version is working well for some users, including myself :slight_smile:
I was told an upgrade is to be published by the next few months ā€¦