When will be self hosted server available?

I was looking for a solution to host my data myself and go far from Google and I found /e/, but I know Nextcloud and I know that the administrator has access to user data, and I wanted to know when self hosted server will be available.

Is a date planned ?
Why there is nothing available on Gitlab ?
I’m planning to host my server on a Raspberry Pi, do you think it will be compatible ?

3 Likes

hello,
my little finger said to me : wait until tomorrow, maybe :smile: :wink:
https://twitter.com/gael_duval/status/1163893956079431686

3 Likes

Have a look to Nextcloudpi a full nextcloud remasterred for raspberry pi.

1 Like

@vlag24
I love your Xiaomi’s avatar :joy:
But when I flash TWRP with fastboot on my Redmi 6A (cactus) and I reboot to recovery, I’ve a prompt “Type password for decrypting Data partition”, how do you pass that ?
EDIT : Only way seems to format data partition or to not use TWRP to flash /e/ : Have a look here in section “Flash GSI without TWRP” you can use fastboot.

@e-media
I’ll wait tomorrow.

For the moment, I’m trying to make a GSI image of /e/ (an image that work on ALL phones shipped with Oreo or Pie) cause my device isn’t compatible.

1 Like

I will have a look tomorrow too :wink:

You have also an other possibility with YUNOHOST for homehosting.

It’s easy the setup your own nextcloud server on a raspberryPI. I have two running. One with raspberry and one with a cubitruck. I have access to 3 TB data fron.everywhere 8n the world.
Tutorials how to setup NC on a raspberrPI you will find in web. And it’s really easy.

After your GSI is ready, start with your own NC server. No need to wait fir the e server scrript

I know how to setup a Nextcloud but I don’t know if a /e/ server is only a Nextcloud server or if there is another “thing” like a mail server or a database or anything else.

And for Yunohost I never tested myself but i tested the demo and that’s no what I’m searching

The mail client in e.drive is rainloop. I’musing the ‘standard’ email app from Nextcloud.

I don’t hink that there is something special in e.drive NC. But I’m ony a user, so I can’t know for sure

hello, thanks for my avatar :rofl::crazy_face::upside_down_face:
I was not aware there was an /e/ iso for Redmi 6A…
so I’ve installed /e/ on my redmi note 5 pro a few months ago and really, I used a lot of blog’s articles and websites tips, I finally succeeded but I don’t know if I would do it again right now with such success (sadly I didn’t took notes at the time, my mistake) Anyway, it took me days/months to unblock my xiaomi bootloader (shame on them)…
“Type password for decrypting Data partition” > I think I never saw this mention or prompt during my /e/ installation, did you follow the tutorials now proposed by the /e/ wiki and community ? I’d just verified I don’t find /e/ for your redmi 6A in the list (https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/wiki/en/wikis/devices-list) I don’t think you can try to install it, you will brik your phone (watchout)

/e/ is not compatible with Redmi 6A yet, but I’m trying to make it working.
TWRP is asking for password to decrypt data partition on first start with MIUI’s new version, but not on all devices, seems that on Redmi note 5 it’s not required…

1 Like

Have you seen.this announcement?
[:mega: It’s been in the pipe for a while, it’s now available! We are very pleased to announce that today, /e/cloud services can be installed on any server for self-hosting! You can now manage and host your mail, drive, etc. for your family or corporate, using a single identity on your own custom domain, and connect it with your/e/OS smartphone. Still in beta, yet ready for a test drive and we will fix it according to your feedback… Check it out at: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting](:mega: It’s been in the pipe for a while, it’s now available! We are very pleased to announce that today, /e/cloud services can be installed on any server for self-hosting! You can now manage and host your mail, drive, etc. for your family or corporate, using a single identity on your own custom domain, and connect it with your/e/OS smartphone. Still in beta, yet ready for a test drive and we will fix it according to your feedback… Check it out at: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting)

2 Likes

As @harvey186 has already responded you can check the gitlab page here for details on how to host your own /e/ cloud services

1 Like

I’ve read the Twitter post and have already checked GitHub page but I’m focusing on building GSI image.

One step after the other. GSI is more important :wink:

Hello guys!
I see you are talking about Yunohost and /e/.
If you are interested by the subject and/or willing to help people, I open 2 conversations:

in English here: Yunohost and /e/

in French here: https://forum.yunohost.org/t/yunohost-et-e/8787

Please do not hesitate to help :slight_smile:

Thank you

I checked out the self hosting repo on GitLab yesterday and saw that no commits have been made for almost a year. Is that because there were no changes necessary or because the project has been put on hold for now? I’m also interested in self hosting eCloud and would like to experiment with it.
Also, does anybody know the state of the ansible branch? There the latest commits are also a year old.

Thanks guys!

The current version is working well for some users, including myself :slight_smile:
I was told an upgrade is to be published by the next few months …