Which preinstalled app do you really use?

Yes, thatā€™s what I do in VLC, too (I changed VLC settings to stop auto-scanning). The album cover artwork alone would keep making the app stuck otherwise.

2 Likes

Browser ā†’ Mull
Mail ā†’ FairEmail
Messages ā†’ newer QKSMS ā†’ Simple SMS
Calendar ā†’ Simple Calendar
Keyboard ā†’ AnySoftKeyboard
Maps ā†’ OsmAnd+
Launcher ā†’ tried many ā†’ ADW Launcher for a while ā†’ now KISS Launcher

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure this survey really adds any value. Of course, the Contacts app is used the most, but thatā€™s mainly because everyone has contacts on their device and thereā€™s hardly anything to improve.

Ultimately, you can replace any pre-installed app, since all apps are forked versions of existing apps.

I would like it if you could choose which apps you want to install and which not.
(And: The apps should be updated more regularly. The Notes app and the PDF app, for example, are outdated).

1 Like

Notes ā†’ I use colornote because it has an ā€œofflineā€ mode (the native /e/OS one can only be used with an online account)

Tasks, PDF reader and Sound Recorder - I have had no need to use any of these apps yet (these apps get used on my phone less than once a year) so havenā€™t figured out if I want/need a replacement or the default app is ok.

1 Like

This is a good point that I wanted to clarify. When I ask which apps you use, I meant which ones you havenā€™t replaced with another.
Indeed ā€œsound recordā€ is not necessarily used but I did not replace it.

Thanks for clarifying this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the goal is to see which ones have been replaced. There may be several reasons for this.
But if we focus on Browser in particular it is very interesting to see that it is not used much (so replaced). Why is this? I think /e/ must be wondering (and it is):

It helps to see which applications to optimize so that users are satisfied with the basic pre-installed apps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I not use messages bcause i delete not need SMS automatically by Automagic premium app. And changed keyboard with OpenBoard keyboard, good slution.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure this survey really adds any value.

I find it interesting to see if people use the more controversial apps (e.g. outdated browser/pdf viewer?). I donā€™t de-Google my phone to use a Google controlled browser, for instance.

Ultimately, you can replace any pre-installed app

Can you? I canā€™t uninstall the pdf viewer and the browser, I believe. And I donā€™t know if I can ask apps to run the webview from my current browser instead of (again) the outdated one. Did I miss something?

In my opinion, the best would be to have the choice at first boot (e.g. ā€œDo you want one of the following browsers, or do you want to install one later?ā€) and then to have a way to uninstall/properly replace system apps. But I get that itā€™s maybe not that easy to do.

3 Likes

I donā€™t use the pre-installed browser precisely because itā€™s chromium-based, i.e. furthering the Google/Chrome monopolization of the web.

You could create an additional poll for Bliss and link it here.

I have never used Bliss after I checked it out initially. I found it limiting and a bit uninspired compared to OpenLauncher.

4 Likes

Done, thank you, donā€™t know why I donā€™t think about it earlier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some OS like iodƩOS allow it.

• Bliss Launcher (yes)
  • Bliss Launcher (no)

0 voters

Doesnā€™t say itā€™s easy to do, nor that they do it properly thoughā€¦

1 Like

I use:
Bluemail since I need activesync.
Brave browser because it works with Fedex links.

Yes, you can unistall for your user, from a PC, with ADB and a command line, without root, so the apps stay on the system but you canā€™t see them.

2 Likes

Hello,

I use :
Notes ā†’ Joplin
Message ā†’ Signal (up to nowā€¦)

The web browser became the most unused appā€¦
This seems to indicate a real controversy for something as important as a web browser.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting assertion. Where did you find that information?

Just here
This is a temporary result and it can change. Also, it is only for voters (and I hope it is representative of all /e/OS users).

1 Like

I see Joplin has a privacy rating of 9/10 in the /e/ app store. Iā€™m gona try it! Because the ā€˜Carnetā€™ app available on the /e/Nextcloud is not quite ready from what I read @Manoj thanks for the tip @VincentS but what server/cloud do you sync your notes with?
Iā€™ll also have a look at OSMand+ @hgbl as a replacement for Magic Earth that I donā€™t like much.
Actually I found a much better maps app. Much faster and better than Magic Earth : it is called Organic Maps.