Which preinstalled app do you really use?

Try openboard for the keyboard

3 Likes

You can try this to:
Web-Browser → Mull
Keyboard → AnySoftKeyboard

2 Likes

What other issues are you concerned about. I have been using Fennec for a long while and it works fine

1 Like

Privacy issues (not functionality issues)…

Mull comes already packaged with the “Mozilla Telemetry” tracker. Not a good start for a “privacy focused browser”

It is stubbed out, disabled.

Static tracker scanners like Exodus are unable to measure such a state.

3 Likes

As @anon88181694 said, it is disabled so no issue with it. We can trust him about this :slight_smile:
Maybe Brave could be a good option if you really don’t wanna use gecko based browser ?
But there is a lot of topic debating this.

Hi @SkewedZeppin,

perhaps a simple-minded question …

How can we know it is disabled? I thought Exodus was a good idea to identify the presence of trackers, but then, how to know if they are active the real risk they represent?

Thank you

@sonyxa2
it is open-source and additionally independently compiled by F-Droid:

Those same changes apply to Fennec F-Droid.

1 Like
  • Since Notes requires an account, I use dummy lists in Tasks to take notes instead. :laughing:
  • The sound recorder, even though it is basic as hell, comes in handy during singing lessons.
  • I use QKSMS instead of Message, but mostly because of bugs that have now been fixed. Never switched back, but I could if I really wanted. Edit: Not sure Message can interact with ShouldIAnswer to block stuff like QKSMS does, though.
  • Even though I use App Lounge, I keep Aurora in my sleeve as a fallback in case of issues.
  • The PDF reader is OK, even though it annoys me by inverting colors when I use the dark theme. I save inverted versions of my concert tickets so that the double inversion makes them scannable again. :laughing:
  • Maps is nice, I’d just want to be able to backup my favorites as a re-importable JSON file or whatever.
1 Like

ok, thank you for your answer @anon88181694

I try to translate in newbie terms that I can understand: I guess that you meant that, since it is open source, everybody can check the code and confirm it that tracker is not activated.

I asked since I thought there was another tool more sophisticated than Exodus… ok, I will keep getting advices here, since check the apps is beyond my skills

1 Like

That is true, but this means that Fennec has Mozilla Telemetry as well as it is the same :thinking:

I’m not that worried about Mozilla telemetry: i believe that they are only using the information they gather to improve the app, not to track individual users or invade their privacy. And I’m happy to help them improve their (already excellent) app :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you accidentally install google services? How would you check if you had or not?

Sorry tech novice here.

Also if I install apps with trackers but use the tracker blocker built into e am I safe?

Tracker blocker should help. But what do you mean by installing google app but mistake? :thinking:

i use theses alternative apps :
Launcher : Lawnchair 2
Dialer : Orange dialer
Gallery : Simple Gallery
Calendar : aCalendar
Mail : Boxer (for professional Exchange account access)
Maps : Osmand+
Pdf reader : Secure pdf viewer 16 of Graphene
Notes : Joplin
Sound recorder : none
Tasks : aCalendar, and Simpletask for todo.txt format
Web browser : Firefox nightly with collection for all extensions access

1 Like