Which SmartPhone for me with /e/OS

This post is in English version and French version

English version

Hello everyone,

I am French and I live in France. I have no experience with /e/ OS yet. I’m looking for a smartphone that’s not too bulky (not too heavy and can be used with one hand) and on which I can install /e/ OS. I don’t need a powerful, expensive phone. I just want to be able to go on the internet and be able to take decent pictures. I am not a computer expert, I still know how to do certain things such as performing a windows partitioning.
I saw for example the Google Pixel 4a “sunfish” smartphone which could be suitable (dimensions 144 x 69.4 x 8.2 mm, 143 grams, /e/ OS version R stable, easy to install), unfortunately it is not waterproof and I risk of having to work outside often so I would not like it to be broken because of the rain.

Do you have a smartphone to recommend to me? I saw that the Samsung Galaxy S7 (dimensions 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm, 152 grams) is still for sale for around 160 euros new, but this phone is old (launched in 2016) and I’m afraid it won’t. there are no more security updates.

Thanking you in advance,

Timothée

=============================================================

French Version

Bonjour à tous,

Je suis français et j’habite en france. Je n’ai pas encore d’expérience sur /e/ OS. Je cherche un smartphone pas trop encombrant (pas trop lourd et qu’on peut utiliser à une main) et sur lequel je puisse installer /e/ OS. Je n’ai pas besoin d’un téléphone puissant et cher. Je veux simplement pouvoir aller sur internet et pouvoir faire des photos correctes. Je ne suis pas expert en informatique, je sais tout de même faire certaines choses comme par exemple effectuer un partitionnement windows.
J’ai vu par exemple le smartphone Google Pixel 4a “sunfish” qui pourrait convenir (dimensions 144 x 69.4 x 8.2 mm, 143 grammes, /e/ OS version R stable, easy installer), malheureusement il n’est pas étanche et je risque de devoir travailler souvent dehors alors je n’aimerai pas qu’il soit cassé à cause de la pluie.

Auriez-vous un smartphone à me conseiller ? J’ai vu que le Samsung Galaxy S7 (dimensions 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm, 152 grammes) est toujours à vendre pour environ 160 euros neuf, mais ce téléphone est vieux (lancé en 2016) et j’ai peur qu’il n’y ait plus les mises à jour de sécurité.

En vous remerciant par avance,

Timothée

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I recommend Sony devices. In particular

1. Xperia Z3 (z3)
  2. Xperia Z3 Compact (z3c)
  3. Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac)

All three are fairly small phones, and IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 min)

Yes, they are older phones, and no longer received security updates from the vendor, but they still get the latest updates from LineageOS

Z3 and Z3 Compact details are officially supported by /e/OS. The latest Android version for these phones is Android 11 / R / Lineage 18.1. There are also official 18.1 builds of Lineageos for MicroG - see here

XZ1 Compact Is not officially supported, but there is an up-to-date, Android 12 / S / LOS 19.1 unofficial build of /e/OS (which has to be updated manually - OTA updates are not available). There are also unofficial builds of

(Note that the unofficial /e/OS, IodéOS, and Lineage for microG are built by me using sources from the unofficial LOS build maintainers)

If you are happy performing manual updates, then I recommend the XZ1 Compact: it’s newer - and in my opinion, better - than the other two. If you prefer to get OTA updates, then go with either the Z3 or Z3 Compact: either the /e/OS build or the Lineage for MicroG. (In my opinion, Lineage for MicroG is more stable and less buggy, and is “good enough” in terms of privacy.)

You can see a comparison of the three phones on GSM Arena
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6539&idPhone2=6538&idPhone3=8610

Thank you for your reply.
e/OS/ does not list Sonys as “stable”, (this is the reason why I had put it aside for the moment). Are there many bugs compared to a version marked as stable? The /e/OS website says that if it doesn’t say “stable” it’s not intended for everyday use. (Smartphone Selector in the note at the bottom of the table)
I know Lineage OS even less than e/OS/. Is it accessible for a beginner?

Regarding the XZ1, manual updates are difficult? Will OTA updates be available soon?

Thanks in advance,
Timothée