Why is it sometimes required to flash stock ROMs before flashing /e/ [FP3]

Hi,

I noticed some inconsistencies regarding the need of flashing stock ROMs.

Within the section “Manually upgrade FP3 to S” it states that a stock ROM needs to be flashed before using /e/ S.

But on the regular installation page there is no such warning.

Why is it that they differ? What do I need to to if I’m currently on Android 9 (/e/ P)?

Why is it required to flash the stock ROM at all?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

Device tree and encryption are not the same between android major version

When you come from the last available stock gogol/fairphoneOS, you’ve got latest firmware and stock device tree,

But when comes from an old android 9 based firmware and device tree even with /e/OS pie flavour on it your device is not ready to receive an /e/OS Snow cone flavoured based on latest firmware available and android 12 device tree

1 Like

So if I’m going to flash the stable Android 11 version of /e/ I’ll get the latest stock firmware and device tree but when I’m flashing the Android 12 version of /e/ that’s not the case?

Why is it not included in both versions?

1 Like

Also: What needs to be done when Fairphone releases Android 12 officially for the FP3?

The current /e/OS 12 build can’t (by logic) contain any Android 12 firmware as it’s not available yet.

Is a reflash needed when it’s released? How are the differences resolved anyway?

Judging from experience, it shouldn’t be necessary to install the stock OS on Fairphone 3/3+. The e foundation gets the Fairphone firmware components to include in /e/OS directly from Fairphone via their official partnership.

/e/OS documentation in general is based on templates. When adapting the template default content to peculiarities of particular devices, deleting some unnecessary stuff can get forgotten.

Here’s a topic to clear this up: Fairphone - FP3 - FP3+ Documentation Suggestions

2 Likes

Oh boy, so to sum it up: Some contradicting information on what to do with which device.

Relying on templates is generally a good thing, but when there are dedicated device maintainers, maybe they should also put some effort into documentation.

Reading installation notes should not result in inconclusive information. I hope this will improve in the future :slight_smile: Well, everybody keeps learning I guess.