Why is my S9 not working with 4G LTE?

Hi.

According to: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/SX669701

for Android 10 or Android 11

1. Make sure your specific Xperia device model and network subscription support VoLTE.
  2. Find and tap SettingsNetwork & InternetMobile network Preferred network type4G (preferred)/3G/GSM.
  3. Tap the switch beside Enable VoLTE to turn the feature on. If Enable VoLTE isn’t available, contact your network operator.

LE. Small chances but worth trying it: demand your network operator to change your SIM. They also should assist you in solving the problem.

Thanks @Cooler

I already saw this post. That’s interesting. I will contact my carrier tomorrow ans see with them if they can assist. Thanks again for your support.

Sorry you have problems, I wish youd hadn’t.
It’s a bit weird/funny though. I try to solve for someone a problem I don’t have as with the exception of the S9+ all my phones with /e/ OS that I use for calls (Sony XZ2compact, Sony XZ2 premium, Sony XZ3) have VoLTE and I don’t need/use it.
I’m sure you’ll solve the problem, still it’s regretful that you have this problem.
How do you like the XZ3 other than this nuissance?

To be honnest I didn’t really used it until now, I just upgraded to the latest Android (10), it took ages as it needed to upgrade every update one by one from Android 9 (!).
It’s a pretty cool phone I’d say, but I’m not a fan of the plastic body: it’s slippy in hand. But that’s not a problem when I will buy a case for it, if I’m able to have it running /e/OS one day :thinking:

By the way: why does it say “This topic will automatically close in 9 days.”? This topic is alive, people like me regularly post here so why would it be close in 9 days? I don’t understand.

All topics have a “initial” lifespan and this topic it’s getting “old”. Also your current problem is not for the S9 So I propose you make another topic…

With Sonys, you likely have to have the SIM card inserted in order for the “Enable VoLTE” setting to appear.

(Of course, the particular phone model must have been certified for VoLTE with the specific carrier, too. In other words, it’s not a question of “does this phone get VoLTE,” but “does this phone get VoLTE with this carrier.”) (Edit: And the phone’s installed regional firmware may be important as well, i.e. North America vs. Global firmware, etc.)

P.S. I’m basing the above on my own experience and research, but I’m not an expert.

Thanks @Cooler : I just opened another thread here, dedicated to installing /e/OS on my XZ3: Installing /e/OS on Xperia XZ3: VoLTE unavailable on stock ROM

@Taurus : the SIM card is inserted, and I restarted the phone multiple times, but the “Enable VoLTE” option still doesn’t appear.
I also tried with another carrier SIM card just in case, same result.

I’m wondering if it is risky or not to install /e/OS if this option has not been enabled.
I discuss this in the above mentioned link.

Thanks again guys,

Just FYI, you can download the apk directly from Signal: https://signal.org/android/apk/

That’s what I do.

Thanks, I didn’t know that.
I downloaded a FOSS version from APK mirror here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/twinhelix/signal-foss-by-twinhelix/signal-foss-by-twinhelix-7-0-2-release/signal-foss-by-twinhelix-7-0-2-android-apk-download/

It works well.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.