Why Use American English?

/e/ is pitched as a European Open Source privacy respecting alternative to the big US-based offerings from Apple and Google and you have a multilingual site in the main European languages. Yet you use American English throughout the English version of the site.

Please use European English [ie. as spoken in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Malta] rather than US English.

Hi @stuzbot /e/ is not specific to Europe or any area of the world. It is a mobile OS and as such we have users from around the world. The focus here is more on the technical aspect rather than the language and grammar. There are very few on this site whose native language is English.

1 Like

Yes. I know an OS is a global product and not geographically limited. I probably didn’t express myself clearly. What I was trying to convey was that, from what I’ve read in the press, /e/ has the feeling of being a project originating from outside the US.

In the current climate, this is actually a good thing. I’m sure lot of people showing an interest in /e/ are doing so because we’re sick of the global dominance of these huge US data slurping mega-corporations –all the more so with the recent transparently protectionist campaign to destroy HuaWei– and we’re looking for an alternative that’s not based in the US and so not beholden to the wishes of the US government.

I read about /e/ on a tech news site as an alternative open source phone OS, not based in the US and I arrived on your site. The first thing I saw was icons for major European languages and I thought “Aha! This looks promising”.

Then I started to read and it’s the usual Silicon Valley Americanised English everywhere [ /e/ is even said to be ideal for “Moms” ] and I can’t help but just think “Meh! –Just another American project which talks freedom and privacy but will cave in when the Whitehouse snaps its fingers”

As you say, the majority of your project team are non-English speakers. So the subtleties of the distinction between US and UK/EU English are probably lost on you. But to a native English speaker, the /e/ website reads as an American website. Which I’d suggest is not the ideal way to reassure people that their privacy is in safe hands, or that the project is independent of government interference.

3 Likes

Hummm that sounds interesting for me :slight_smile:
Even if it’s a global project, to be more european could be nice :slight_smile:

Problem is, we (not native) are not getting any difference between both.
Only english native speakers can :relaxed:

3 Likes

Definitely, not what /e/ wants to be!!! This is exactly what we’re trying to avoid!!

Thanks all for the comments. All points are noted. Since we are moving into politics which is not in scope of this site. Closing the topic.

2 Likes