Wi-fi extender in /e/ OS?

Hi.

New to forum so I hope I use right group.
In newer android there is an option to use phone as a wi-fi extender. Do anyone know if this is possible with \e\ OS?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi @Amadeus welcome to the /e/ forums.

If you use the Settings > Search feature, for wifi, you will find Hotspot and tethering and WiFi hotspot - may be device dependent - if this is what you are interested in.

Getting Started on /e/OS

2 Likes

I understand the question as : can we use the phone as a wifi repeater ?

In short, yes piero. Wifi repeater is a very useful feature. Especially on travels.

I use my phone as a hotspot too, but that is a completely different feature.

Hi Aibd. Hotspot is another usefull feature. But not what I was asking for.

Wifi repeater is espesially usefull om travels, when the local wifi almost reach the destination, and you have to sit om strange places to get internet. :blush:

1 Like

i also think that could be an insterresting feature, so i just make a test.
unfortunately i haven’t needed to start the third device…
i first shared the 4g connexion of my daily smart/e/phone using the /e/ wifi access point feature, then, i connected a second device (without SIM card) by wifi, but when i enabled the wifi access point of this second device, its main connection was instantanly disabled.

Are you sure it is a software feature ?
I imagine that two wifi modem into the same device are necessary for a repeater ! Isn’t it ?

I’m not sure, but in order to create a wifi repeater one may need two wifi hardware interfaces.
At least, that’s what I did some years ago with a macintosh : I had an external wifi dongle with a big antenna, capable to connect to a very remote access point, and then I set the mac’s internal wifi to act as a new access point, bridging the external link.
If this is the only way to do, then the single wifi hardware within the phone won’t be able to do this…

1 Like