Will /e/ include Corona exposure notification API and if so: when?

There was a clarification awaited on one of the comments in the article. Once we have that we shall publish that post. Unfortunately of late quite a few issues are getting delayed…

1 Like

Ok, good work takes time. lets wait two weeks.

:slight_smile: The article may come out much earlier. I shall share the details here once I get an update.


Ok the article is online, very nice.

do you have a ĺink ?

1 Like

Update: The article on microG was shared here

Expect the App to be released this week if testing completes on time.

The steps for the implementation are as under.

  • Users download the covid tracing framwork apk from App Store. This gets installed on top of existing microG on the /e/ OS.
  • User enables the framework app
  • Next user downloads and install covid-19 tracing apps specific to their country or region
  • User activates these covid tracing apps

The whole process has been made a bit complicated so that

  • it has to be installed and enabled by the user deliberately
  • To make it easy in case user wants to remove it at a later date.

Will share proper documentation on this once we are ready to release.


Does this mean it will work with older microG versions too? Or does it still require a certain microG version?


I am assuming it will require the latest version of micorG with which it has been tested. Not sure anyone has tested it with previous microG versions. Will check with the team and get back on this.

1 Like

The update is that the apk requires App Store to be installed. Which would mean that the ROM will have to be the latest version – this ROM build should come OTA once we are done with the testing.
That being said users with development skills should be able to download the apk from our gitlab page and use it in their custom or unofficial builds. We will share the gitlab location with all users.


That sounds like a lot of extra stuff on top of the standard EN (Exposure Notification) implementation of microG.
Especially given that microG already supports disabling EN for those who don’t want it.

EN is disabled by default in microG and won’t be enabled without asking.
This sounds quite secure and privacy protecting for me.
So why the extra work to do an additional app instead of delivering the standard microG implementation?

Don’t get me wrong. If there’s something problematic about the standard microG EN implementation I’m curious to learn about it.


In the hope of not opening that can of worms again now that the /e/ implementation is almost here … get yourself some popcorn and search for topics discussing the keywords corona and tracking. I won’t spoil it for you :wink: .


The extra layer of enabling has been added on purpose. This is to force users to take that extra step to enable covid tracing on /e/OS.
We have two distinct group of /e/ users. One group absolutely hates Google and everything it stands for and the other group dislikes Google but still have to use specific parts of its services like the mail or standard social media apps.
Covid-19 impacts everyone irrespective of age , race, geographic location etc. We want to provide all our users a safe way to choose how to implement the tracing framework without compromising their personal beliefs or preferences. We want our users to choose how they implement it on their phone.


Thanks for the hard work!

Without installing a COVID app you are not able to turn it on in the default microG implementation. Its like adding another switch to turn on the light bulb, it makes no sense at all unless the first switch is not working correct, is that the case?


This is my understanding too, so in case you think the “second switch” will be implemented solely as a very time-intensive token of emotional support, I fear you are not wrong.

I really (and no sarcasm should be read into this) hope, it was worth it to keep the /e/ project going, considering the urgency of the pandemic.


Exactly so it is. e now breaks the user interface with unnecessary queries. When the user installs the app, he has made a very conscious decision.

One of the problems which have surfaced was that the decisive difference between the API framework and the Apps which use it is a technicality some users don’t get or ignore because it doesn’t fit into their agenda.
/e/ have done the right thing for appealing to as many users as possible, sadly this took additional time.

The work should have been done months ago. There was a lot of time now spent on broken builds and what I consider less important work like breaking the user interface.



I’m a very new user of /e/OS. I’m not so technical and I would love to use Italian Corona App.

At the moment I’ve installed it on my FFP3+ via A store but it doesn’t work (the warming I get from the app at the end of setting is “Google play services are not ready yet to set exposure notifications”) even if actual running MicroG version is 0.2.13 (I updated it via Aurora store without knowing that it could be affect Corona apps running).

How will we get informed about the availabilty of this important update? have I to follow this threath or a notification will come on the phone?

Will the new update restore my unvolountary MicroG wrong update?

As far as I know, you can’t update microG as a user without root access, bc. microG is implemented as system app.