You need the official WhatsApp to log in erroror message

My non-daily driver was an old Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite running Lineage OS. Bootloader unlocked, Magisk and LSPosed installed with some mods. There I could run regular / legal / official WhatsApp without problems.

After that I used GBWhatsApp on my daily driver and linked that device. WhatsApp made that step impossible somewhere in June 2024, but devices that were set up before kept working. I screwed up manually though.

So after that June 2024, I was still able to link WA to my daily driver but not in the official or modded app. The only thing that worked was using WhatsAppWebToGo from F-Droid. That nerved me.

So I backupped official WA on my non-daily driver, exported that to my daily driver and it just worked. Then I froze WA on my non-daily. You never lnow when you need that again.

I see, yeah, WhatsAppWebToGo works, but not practical at all. Seems like just backup and restore is a workaround

For as long as that goes. Knowing that you are flagged…

Hi,

a few days ago, I flashed /e/ OS again on my Pixel 6a, and unfortunately, I had same problem, with red cross and “you need the official whatsapp…”

Like all, I had this message even after install offical apk.

I didn’t have this error message with GrapheneOS. Maybe because bootloader is locked with GrapheneOS and not with /e/OS ?

Did you use some kind of modded version in the past? Like GBWA? Or some Magisk overlay? You probably have the same problem as I have. Shouls you be rooted you can make a NeoBackup on your old phone and put that in your new phone (and directly freeze WA in the old one in order not to have it run double!!). That worked for me!

WhatsAppWebToGo needs the regular app to work in order to add WhatsAppWebToGo as a new device, correct? In which case it’s not possible after WA stopped working.

No, I never used a modded version and pixel isn’t rooted.

That’s correct, so without a running app no chance

It’s sad, I really need WA for work and with some friends, so can’t use /e/ for this. Not only, but too.

Are you saying, that on another device (no /e/) you can login / verify the regular way? Because I can’t.

Yes, with stock rom, I was able to login.
I tried with stock rom, grapheneOS rom, it’s ok, but with /e/, I had error message.

I guess device or account isn’t flagged, and whatsapp detects custom rom or unlocked bootloader ?

Seems strange because i rooted my phone for one day before i got a bootloop :yum: and everything worked during this laps of time. I even used a module to prevent screenshot detection so i could take screenshot of once view mode. I think that depending on your phone it can detect custom devices or whatever

I’ll give it another try and hope it works. It’s not that I absolutely love Whatsapp, but I need it for work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.