2021: Week wise OS upgrade and new Device release plan

@SuzieQ
Thank you for your answer. I followed your link so I assume I understand how to upgrade my phone. When you say :

I understand that the installer does a fresh install of Android Q, losing my data. Instead an upgrade brings Android Q saving my data. I may be dumb, but am I right ?

Hi @seg,
by reinstall I meant an initial install of stock Android coming with original Android-Recovery included. Since your Galaxy S9 plus with pre-installed /e/ OS Oreo-8.1 ‘stable’ - a so-called ePhone - is to be migrated to a higher /e/ OS version, I’m talking about an upgrade.

Installing this completely new version will erase all your data irrevocably. You should therefore back up all your important data and files externally before upgrading.

The installation of /e/ OS ‘Q’ can be carried out without an external PC, i.e. only with the Galaxy S9 plus. Of course, there are also other ways, such as custom recovery + adb sideload or, last but not least, the so-called /e/asy-installer (which I do not recommend at the moment, unless the /eTeam has made important corrections in the meantime).

Hi @SuzieQ
Now I get it ! As this phone is my daily driver, I guess I’d prefer the last but not least solution. All in good time.
“He who waits with prudence, he will be rewarded in due time”, isn’t it ?
Tonight I’m going to bed less stupid :clown_face:
Thank you very much !

I just flashed 0.14 Q on my FP2, without wiping (I’ve made a backup though). It was an update from 0.14 P, installed OTA yesterday. It worked flawlessly! I didn’t notice any problems yet. Thanks to the team!
But I couldn’t find the gesture navigation. Anyone has it on a FP2?

The one plus 5 was on the above list to be upgraded to Q last week but as far as I can tell this hasn’t happened yet, any update on when this will happen?

Hi,

From what i understand, the easiest way is:

• root (install magisk zip with TWRP)
  • backup non app data (contacts, docs, photos, calendar…)
  • backup user apps+data (ex: OAndBackupX ROOT NEEDED)
  • clean install of “android Q + /e/” on top of current /e/
  • restore all apps + data
  • unroot
  • configure /e/

Knowing that the clean install step is the most complicated for a newbie, couldn’t this be done with an updated Easy Installer ?

Since it’s NOT an upgrade but a clean android Q installation + app/data restoration, it will be easier for all the early adopters who bought /e/ phones.

They will just start fresh with a virgin /e/ android Q and need to worry only about backup and restoration.

What do you think?

Best regards

1 Like

/e/ does not support the new navigation options yet, independent of the phone model: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1949

1 Like

they were working on my pocophone f1 with /e/ q but i cant remember what exactly i did to activate it… but eventually it showed up in the gestures menu in the settings…

Ok, just a “simple” question (can anyone help?): I recently bought a Galaxy S9 (used). The latest stock ROM (Android 10) is already installed there !! I want to install / e /.
That wouldn’t have been possible with 0.13, right? But now with 0.14 is it possible? I don’t want my phone to be a brick. So, do I have to return it (is still possible) or can I install / e / there, maybe even with easy installer? I am happy to wait until mid-March or so, if necessary.
So it works with / e / 0.14, precisely because this new release starts from Q? Or did I misunderstand something?

Hi @Matop, your Galaxy S9 with Stock Android 10 and e-0.13-q-2021012097133-dev-starlte are made for each other.

A version e-0.14-2021xxxx-starlte is currently not available if you trust the /e/ downlaod page.

If the /e/asy installer loads the correct files, which has not been the case in the last few days, it can contribute to the success of the /e/installation.

To each their own. It is well known that many roads lead to Rome …

OK thanks. Maybe a bit misleading. What my question was actually aimed at: If my S9 had Android 9 or even 8 installed, it would not be a problem. But if it has 10, i.e. Q, then there is a problem with dm verity, at least I thought. And then at best you can install an / e / when the S9 is completely wiped, down to the “deepest depths” of the system. And that’s where the problem lies (that was my thought), because it’s very difficult without getting in trouble with dm verity (and certainly cannot be done with easy installer, although I don’t really know what it does). Maybe still some misunderstanding from my side …?

Up to here, your statement and task was clearly defined for me.
/e/OS build e-0.13-q-2021012097133-dev-starlte needs Stock Android 10 as a starting point and is thus ready to leave the Google eco-system.

Subsequent texts from you are actually somewhat misleading me. But only one thing is important: /e/ OS ‘Q’ AOSP Android 10 can be installed immediately without further ado.

Thank you. I’m sorry if it’s a bit annoying. The more I read, the more confused I get. So no issue with dm verity or whatever, and just get started and that’s it (?) That’s how I understand you. I’m sorry, I’m just worried that I might be making a brick.

@Matop , I understand your concerns or even fears. They only arise because of the unknown territory you want to enter.

And no - I am not annoyed. I’m in good spirits. I’ve already helped a few S9 /S9+ us/e/rs install the latest /e/OS - without making their Galaxy’s non-functional. You will be able to do it too. Take heart :))

1 Like

ok, thank you so much. I’ll start coming weekend. And, if I understood this correctly, during the easy installer workflow , I will be able to initiate a full backup image with TWRP, thus to be able to get back, in any case, as if I haven’t touched the device?

No, at least not one hundred percent.
Once you have flashed a custom recovery like eRecovery or TWRP Recvery, the Samsung KNOX status is set from 0x0 to 0x1. This is a so-called Samsung “security feature” that allows Samsung to immediately detect whether the original state has been changed.

Nevertheless, a customROm such as /e/OS can be flashed back to stock Android 10 and no one will think at first glance that the device has been ‘tampered’ with. For a complete data backup, a commuinity member recently suggested this following way.

1 Like

Hi:

Very thanks for the good work!!! I see that some of the devices in the list that were planned to be upgraded to Q some weeks ago, they still appear in the official /devices/ with nougard or pie. So my question is: are there some delays with the upgrades or is the list the one outdated?
Or I am looking in the wrong place?

Best,

1 Like

Last week’s new devices and upgrades have still not rolled out completely. There were some issues in the build which caused bootloops in some devices. This plus we need to add a fix to resolve booting issues on AB devices . These two issues have caused a delay in the release.
For now hoping to meet the targets for last week and this week.
I will be updating the dates in the list in case there will be a 1 week delay which will cascade across all the devices.

3 Likes

I tried this but I couldn’t get root with Magisk:

• backed up everything wth TWRP (just in case)
    • Installed Magisk.zip from TWRP. It claimed to have patched boot.img
    • Installed MagiskManager. Started it and tit showed the blue (Install) page, rather than the green (it’s all worked page

So I’m giving up for now. The TWRP backup works for me, it just takes a bit longer.