A new brand name for /e/OS - Murena

Hi. Rebranding should give you an ad-space boost. So will a few simple things which you probably already provide. Read on.

This year I started watching your work, to see if the next version will offer what I need.

What would push me away is: enforced 2FA to use apps like a fitness app (whichever you provide), unreasonable app permissions (e.g. fitness app and the app store requiring my contact list to work, aka Samsung), apps aggressively sending notifications asking the user to do something while the option to quiet that down is disabled (aka Samsung).

I feel sick of and violated by my S10, but won’t just hop blindly to the next thing. As you can infer, I am less concerned with my privacy, but fully concerned about the control I have over the devce. It shouldn’t tell me how to use it, I should be able to tell it how it should work.

Of course, the hardware side of Fairphone is weak for my standards. I would like to see at least 8 GB RAM, and have the option for at least 512 GB storage space. High-refresh-rate screen (144 Hz)? Yes.

I partially agree. I for one damn like it its not a fu… com domain. I like to be separated from the commercial shit. I just hope they only change the name but then again to explain e is not that difficult.

No many OS who just supported a few devices are buried now. There are tons og devices and if you want to at least win some of them over the need of many is essential. People have to stopp using aoos for every shit and need to change even in behavior if they want to be at least almost free of control and tracking. There is no easy way exept for the installer.

Dont get me wrong I use simple language as I am sick of talking true a flower just so others are not offended.

3 Likes

partially agree - but if you don’t want contributing to e waste it is nice to give our older phones a second chance by using /e/ on it. A few friends of mine are willing to try /e/ os on their existing phones…should I tell them mh sry now they have dropped the existing image for your phones …but hey spend 200€ and buy a new one preinstalled with /e/?. The answer is quite clear…sure quality should be provided but if /e/ os wants to gain non techie users, it should make it available to a majority of new and slightly older devices. Only (die hard) techies are willing to spend at least 200€ just to checkout a non-google alternative which is unknown to them and might not even suit their needs. The non-techies can be convinced if you give them the ability to use their just out of support-window* mobile with the latest android based os and recent security patches. If they are convinced they will buy the next device directly from the /e/ shop.

*those support windows aka: get the latest android os+security patches are rather short.

edit… /e/ os might be an interessting name but even friends working in IT have difficulties googling (funny as we want to get rid of google) that name. you have to workaround with e foundation, e os alternative to android

3 Likes

Just one question:
When will it be out, exactly?

Don’t act like cyberpunk2077, buddy!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ou, it is too late but I hope it will be something short and a bit ironic like eurOS
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

eegloo :slight_smile:

When will the new name be announced?

1 Like

eegloo eegloo during the beer-flu

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter what the name is. It is just very good news that it’s changing. The current name is actually a significant barrier to entry simply because it makes online searches almost impossible. The signal to noise ratio is awful on any sort of search, and the main web site does a terrible job of acting as a portal. There should be easy to navigate links from the main e.foundation site, to the community site, to the cloud server, to the gitlab, and there is none of that. So a name change to get this all at least under one search umbrella isn’t just nice, it’s actually vital.

3 Likes

I wonder why this thread was created before actual release of new name. After all there was already extremely long speculation thread regarding name change. This thread could be started just after release of new name, thus focusing opinions about new name etc. Well at some point this will change more to that direction…

Anyway, now all can be done is waiting and hoping best for future and for new name.

3 Likes

First of all i agree with most parts of your opinion too. The “bulky” name /e/ and the knowledge of setting it up makes it a bit difficult getting non-tech people into the topic. That was my experience too since i started talking about /e/ with colleagues and friends. I think you can compare that with the struggle Windows vs. Linux.

And the fact that we are talking about a beta os (which the version number 0.xx illustrates) doesn´t make things better for them. But on the other hand, that is okay for the actual phase of this (in my opinion) great and overall stable os. If /e/ gets the chance to grow, it could be a very good and easy to use (or at least similar to) Android alternative. I appreciate the introduction of the easy installer to make it more accessible for beginners and not least the friendly and helpful community.

I don´t think that /e/ would find more acceptance with supporting less different phones. Like huuhaa said i think it makes /e/ more attractive because of the wide range of supported devices. People can choose their old smartphones and try /e/ without risking anything of value or buy a overall fair priced preinstalled one.

I can just speak for myself but i use /e/ now for nearly two months on my primary “every day”-phone and till now i couldn´t find a major issue or blocker while using it. I have changed from Apple to /e/ over a few months of set-up time and till now i regret nothing. Even my not-apple-smartwatch fullfills all my needs with /e/ and works smooth - thanks to the help of this community.

5 Likes

I would love to agree, but from what I can see it is not uncommon to see posts in the forum along the lines of “I purchased a phone from the /e/ shop, and after the latest upgrade I have x issue”. And this happens for Fairphone and other devices. Or even without upgrades something doesnt work:
For example I bought a GS290 from the /e/ shop myself, and the default email app that comes with the phone does not allow attachments to be saved to the device. This issue seems to date way back with K9 mail - think I found a bug like this in a 2012 post, and has been mentioned on the /e/ forum for quite some time but is not fixed. Saving attachments is a common thing to do with email, so if it doesnt work, then the email app is fairly limited and not a viable replacement especially as a work phone.

Yep, totally agree, but the /e/ on the small number of devices sold through the /e/ shop should work flawlessly, otherwise people will have a bad experience of /e/.

This is exactly my experience too. I hate large phones, and since the S7 was no longer sold on /e/ shop when I discovered /e/ I bought a sony Z5 compact, did my first mobile OS flash (without the easy installer), and it worked, and I am very grateful to /e/ and this community for this opportunity, I really am, and personally I dont mind any little inconveniences that come with it.

However for mainstream people, who are not technical but want to get away from google etc, /e/ is not yet a fully viable alternative, and I would love to see /e/ work competely flawlessly on a small number of devices for these people.

Yes, I am the same, and the .foundation domain does not bother me in the slightest, but most people are not like this, they like “.com” and “.org”, anything beyond that and they get hesitant/suspicious :pensive:

great point I hadn’t thought of this.

Even typing /e/ into a Libre Office document automatically removes both the / and makes it italic:

/e/ could continue without changing the name too much, for example “E Mobile OS” and the domains are available:

Agreed, I cannot fault the stability, and I appreciate /e/ is in beta. I hope it does grow, I contribute a small monthly Patreon to help, would love to give more but cannot.

Maybe, I honestly dont know a thing about launcing a mobile OS or “market adoption” strategies, but I reckon /e/ would have a better reputation (and then better adoption) if we could get /e/ working better on fewer devices rather than trying to expand to many devices and having issues on all devices. At the very least it makes the forum fill up with questions people have with bugs, and not always finding solutions, and then not being impressed with /e/.

3 Likes

Being not impressed of issues maybe is a matter of wrong expectations to a beta. This is not meant to be arrogant in any way, i got mousetrapped myself in a similar situation too. Years ago i got in touch with Cyanogen Mod while using a stock HTC M8 back then. I started using CM very quick and got issues, which finally led me to get rid of the M8…and CM…(and switchting to Apple).

When using /e/ i am aware that things might do not work 100 percent the way they do on a stock Android device or in iOS. But having Google and Apple nearly complete out of my life is absolutely worth the risk of issues for me.

And as i mentioned above my set-up-time using /e/ lasted a few months. In this time i used both devices (iPhone and the Redmi 8T) sometimes simultaneously and tried to get to know /e/ better in “real life” situations. I can confirm that this strategy is more uncomfortable as my first attempt, but it worked well for me.

2 Likes

Installing /e/ is not too difficult, assuming one has rooted his/her device.
The biggest problem lies in Eloud , where in the example of Google everything is nicely in one .
It would be nice if simple, the contacts, calendar and mail could go into Ecloud.
Then there is a small problem Ecloud 1 Gb free , Google some more, and then the speed of both also there Google wins.
But ultimately with /e/ you degoogled come a long way .
And from this starting point it can only get better

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I think it’s going to be ‘eeo’ according to recent source code edits:

Source:
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/cloud/my-spot/-/commit/dfc5b6c352499ec29f0d10a69a9191fb5dbf8a6d

Hello,

When is /e/ going to get a proper name? I have heard that choosing a name is planned for later, but is there an exact date yet? I can’t wait until I can properly recommend this operating system, and I cannot recommend “slash-eee-slash” because it’s impossible to understand for a normal person.

1 Like

why is there this post from march 2019 ?

As of 12 days ago👆 so its coming soon one would think.

Apparently it was split from this old topic … https://community.e.foundation/t/a-proper-name-for-e/2824

Would be interesting too see a nice logo, and order stickers with it, to put on phone :slight_smile: