Any ideas for Bliss improvements?

Thanks, will try that.
Btw, in Report an issue :

• If you have an account, login

That login-link is dead.

Works for me. It open the gitlab page.

Hi all,

I install the e-os ROM on my 2016 Lenovo Yoga Tab YTX703F and I encountered an issue :

When installed, I discover that the Bliss launcher is not well suited for tablet.

It’s OK for phones because we usually use it in one hand, meaning the phone is in vertical position. But for tabs wich are frequently used on landscape mode it’s not user friendly at all.

I suggest to add the auto-rotating mode, not only for apps, but also for Bliss and if possible change the icon grid to 7x7. As a minimum in the install process a suggestion to change the Launcher could be useful.

As a personal feeling, I’m a long time android user (2009) and I found Bliss to much close to iphone look and feel. Personally I use Shade launcher on both my tablet and my MI8-dipper because it’s more close to Android look.

I don’t know if e-os users are coming from Apple or Android world, but it seems to me that most of them are tech savvy’s, with Android look habits!

Hoping that mail could be useful for other e-os/YTX703F installers.

Hi @radprec the ‘iPhone look’ of the BlissLauncher has come up in a number of posts. The idea behind it was simply to put all the icons on the screen. This reduces or removes the learning curve for a new user.

Personally I like the android style of having apps hidden in a folder which show up when you swipe in a particular direction. That gives me a clean main screen where I can have a cool wallpaper.

The best part of android phones is you can always install a different launcher which suits your needs. There would not have been so many launchers available for download if everyone was happy with the traditional Android look :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’re right @Manoj, I’m in line with your comments for the smartphones! But for tablets the issues are still pending: 7x7 grid and rotating mode…
Personnaly I appreciate to have a similar look and feel on both my phone and tab, unfortunately Bliss is not well suited for that.

A small feature request. When I press System Profiles button in Android 7/Nougat, it shows the profiles. That is fast.
But on Android 10 when I click it disables them. (To change profile, one has to long-click, which is cumbersome and not intuitive for me.)
I have them always enabled, and I imagine that if one uses them at all, then there is always a profile active.
So my request: click = show the available profiles. Long-click not needed. (Turning them off can be done in the same screen as choosing them.)

Additionally, someone may think that Weather app installation is an excuse to be able to request location permissions.

2 Likes

I would remove anything that isn’t essential, like:

• all widgets
  • Weather app

in order to:

• do not burden the app
  • have less code to maintain
  • focus development only on the things that are really needed

And above all:

• do not force users to use what developers like, giving them more freedom to install apps and widgets they really need and prefer
6 Likes

5 app maximum in taskbar instead of 4 today

2 Likes

I’ve been using Bliss for the past couple of months, and in general, I like it. However, there are a couple of things that have started to annoy me to the point that I am starting to look for a replacement. I understand that Bliss is trying to emmulate iOS, but just a couple of minor improvements could make it so much better than iOS.

1. Bliss should allow you to arrange app icons on your home screen however you would like to (though forced to snap to a grid). Yes, I understand that iOS does add icons sequentially in the same way. However, it is a huge productivity loss to look for the app you need. A common way to solve this problem is the manner that you choose to arrange the icons on the screen.

2. I feel that having only 4 favorite icons in the dock exacerbates the above problem, as 4 is simply not enough. If I was allowed to add 5, I probably wouldn’t complain.

3. I generally don’t like or use widgets on iOS or /e/. However, I would really like to add a simple clock (or maybe weather) widget to the home screen!

2 Likes

More widgets and customizable widget page, widget order and such.

1 Like

What about be able to hvae more rows and columns in the launcher?

1 Like

iOS has recently changed to allow exactly this :wink:

I wouldn’t even need this in Bliss. But please let us hide the weather and app recommendation widgets some time in the future.

1 Like

I think /e/ can draw inspiration from both iOS 14/15 as well as One UI 3/3.1 launchers for the next generation of the Bliss launcher. Things I would request for Bliss would be:

• Gestures
    Tablet mode, similar to iPadOS / Galaxy Tab S
    Maybe an app drawer in the same location iOS 14 has an their app library

I have no doubt this will take time, if it’s even possible at all. However Apple did make a huge overhaul of it’s interface with iOS 13. Having a similarly inspired interface only makes sense of Bliss is to mimic iOS/iPadOS. Apple users will now expect this new way of interacting with the phone as an option, gestures, compared to what came before. One UI 3.1 from Samsung seems to have a few of these same features as well. Most iPhone user will not want to go back to the old way of navigation as most people are using gestures on most devices now.

So which of the features do you see from iOS and iPadOS would you like to see in the next generation of Bliss launcher? The videos below may give people a few ideas. Please share.

The Ultimate iOS 14 Homescreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH66LWWluVE
iOS 15 & iPadOS 15 Redesign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJjnbPNwNGU
One UI 3 intro, Phone & Tablet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hF9Ys4PWA
One UI 3.1 on Galaxy Tab S7+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppUBpUxHb18

1 Like

user research must tell apple that “icon recognizeability” takes precedent over “readable caption”, as I wonder why there’s no shadow behind the white-font caption. It makes the use of bright/noisy backgrounds hard. ctrl+f with keywords didn’t find other people to mention this aspect, maybe it’s not that important.

I publicly promise to come back from KISS to BLISS - if you Delete weather widget in Bliss :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I wish to See Numbers at the APP Icons, showing unseen or unread messages.
Only my few cent…:wink:
I love Bliss Launcher becauce simple to use.
Best regards

hello, i would especially like that bliss consumes less ram memory.
there it has 563mb of memory usage (which is already huge), but a few days ago, it was more than 2gb of ram

Pl can you raise a bug for this in the Gitlab If possible add logs to the bug report.

1 Like

Coming fresh from LineageOS (Launcher3?, I am not shure if this is the whole equivalent) I have to admit that BLISS is “hard” to take regarding of (all) the points mentioned above.

The good thing: During writing I learned more of the functionality e.g. the search field which is working for apps and internet. I didn’t expected this behavior. Also packing apps into drawers helps to minimize the number of screens. BLISS isn’t that bad I thought at a first glance ;- ) but this easy? configuration options would be really helpfull:

• enable/disable weather app
  • make the four app recommendations selectable
  • posibility to decide where to put the home screen when I press the home key on my phone
  • nice to have: the top search field could/should also search Android configuration settings, but not shure about that one

Addendum: Available in F-Droid / appstore
Laucher3
Launcher 10

2 Likes